Vent So angry and fed up

Dmcj13

I know that there are a hundred threads like this already, but I am just so upset and frustrated by the car seat use (or lack of) around here. All the time I see kids bouncing around in cars with no seats, and today we were at the playground, where there were about a hundred kids, at least 90% under age 8 and in the parking lot I passed by at least 50 cars and counted FOUR car seats! Two cosco HBB in the same vehicle, one infant bucket and I saw a Scenera in the back of a car that had two young girls in the front seat, together with a seatbelt over both of them. They were both smaller than my 5 year old :(
Our county is fairly dominated by lower income family's, but I wouldn't say my city is poverty stricken by any means, and it is mostly nice newer cars that I saw. I just wish there was something I could do. I am taking a tech class in April, but even as a tech, there is not much I can do, I can't stand in parking lots telling people to go buy car seats. My county does not have a safe kids coalition or any programs that give car seats or boosters, and I am sure that would help with some, but a lot just don't care! It stinks. I knew there was bad usage but a whole bunch of tiny toddlers and no car seats in sight :confused: I can not believe it.

ADS

CelestinoZ

I feel your frustration, I substitute in a school district near my, and I often have car duty. I see many preschoolers being put in just a low back booster, children a little older than preschool age just using a seatbelt. This also isn't a school district with many low-income families, the median income income in the city that serves the school district is about $85,000. So there is no reason why these parents can't buy proper car seats for their children.

BTW, I live in Texas, and children are required to be in a booster until 8 years old or until they are 4'9" tall. Also, I am a college student living mainly on federal student loans, I own a Britax Frontier 85, and a Diono RadianRXT.

When, I see friends that don't properly restrain their young children, I explain to them why their child needs to be in a proper car seat, but it's always the same old excuses, "It's just too expensive", or "we don't have any money to buy another car seat".

Joyofbirth

You could keep flyers in your car and stick them on their windshields.
It's tough. We have really terrible usage around here too. It's less common to see kids buckled than not. At least once a day, I say a baby in a lap in the front seat. If I see gross negligence, I'll call the police and report it. But there's really just too many. So I help who I can.

gagenivy

Yesterday at my son's OT appt, we saw a lady put her child into a very old Evenflo Discovery, no straps (they were pulled out the harness slots and tangling) but a seatbelt over it instead, and FF. their son was bigger than my 20 month old who is 22 lbs and 2' 10".

mping

It's like that where I live too and my suburb is upper middle class. Doesn't seem to make a difference. My neighbor's daughter was in a HBB at 2 1/2! The majority of people I know don't use their seats properly or their kids are in seats that aren't appropriate to their age and/or size.

disbugsmomma

My neighbor has her 8 month old ff because the Ped told her she could. :thumbsdown: I did talk to her yesterday about it, so maybe she will do some research.

duckmama

It is very sad. I see mostly kids in booster here, people are really good about using boosters, they just put them in at the minimum requirement so you see kids that really should not be in a booster in one because it meets the letter of the law. Once your kid hits 2 put them in a high back booster is the norm.

Judging from craigslist no one is aware car seats expire either. I contacted a lady selling a car seat that expired in 2009 who told me she bought it used last year from someone who told her it never expires (no expiration sticker on it, just DOM).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC