What slot is your almost or just turned five year old on in the Nautilus?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Question in title. :)

I just had to move the slots up for J because it was just too close for comfort. He is on the top now and I'm worried at how long it will last him. :eek: He will be five in almost a month. He has plenty of weight room at 43.5 pounds, but boy did he get tall. He must be all torso though.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My oldest had outgrown hers by five, and my 5year- and-two-day-old has about an inch left.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We moved to the top slot at 5y1m, although I think she probably needed to be moved a month sooner, I just didn't notice! She started at the 2nd to top slot with room to grow at 4y8m.

MJHY27

My girl is 5y4m and just right at the 2nd to highest slot. I am at the point where I have to check it every time I put her in and wonder if I need to move it up! She has a 16" torso and 44" overall ht.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I looked at one last year in store and my just-turned-5 year old daughter had outgrown it already. (She's almost 6 now and on the top slot of the FR85 with just about an inch to grow. Long torso. Praying it buys her enough time to be ready for a full-time booster before outgrowing it!)

sparklyPEA405

I use a nautilus for the 3 different kids I babysit for 1 five year old girl is second to the top, the other 5 year old is only on the 2nd slots (super petite) and my 7 year old cousin is on the top slots and she is super tall.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I looked at one last year in store and my just-turned-5 year old daughter had outgrown it already. (She's almost 6 now and on the top slot of the FR85 with just about an inch to grow. Long torso. Praying it buys her enough time to be ready for a full-time booster before outgrowing it!)

So, this has me confused. The Frontier is taller than the Nautilus? I was just searching for a compare thread and found one that said the Nauti had a slightly taller top slot than the Frontier, but that the Frontier would fit longer in booster mode. Is that for the original Frontier? I can't remember how old the thread was.

xursusmaritimusx

mine was on the 2nd from the top when she turned 5..... shes 5yr 4mo now and just moved her to the top slot. shes got another 1-2 years or so before she outgrows harness mode.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Frontier85 has 19.5" top slots, and the Nautilus's top straps are 18-18.5".

Okay, the thread about the Nauti being taller was from June 2008, so maybe that was the original Frontier? It did change at some point, correct?

For the life of me, I can't tell what slot DD is on in the Frontier due to how the harness adjusts and what's visible when the seat is installed. I measured the slot she's on and it's at ~17" (approximate because the slot is angled). Does that mean she has one more slot to go?

I measured her torso too and it's 16.5" which makes sense because she looks to have about a half inch left on this slot height. And seems then like I don't need to get my dad to check her in the Nauti just yet, as she should have room left if it's 18-18.5".

Last edited:

Spam

A is 3.5 and on the top slot :( He has two clicks to go on the fr85. My nephew is 4.5 and also on the tops slots, they share the seat and fit just about the same in it, about an 1-1.5" of growing room.

Athena

I just had to move the slots up for J because it was just too close for comfort. He is on the top now and I'm worried at how long it will last him. :eek: He will be five in almost a month. He has plenty of weight room at 43.5 pounds, but boy did he get tall. He must be all torso though.

I have the opposite reaction, thinking wow he's almost 5 and you're only just now moving to the tops slots. You are so lucky! :) I like to plan ahead too, so I understand, but two inches of torso growth could take him a long time.

Athena

For the life of me, I can't tell what slot DD is on due to how the harness adjusts and what's visible when the seat is installed. I measured the slot she's on and it's at ~17" (approximate because the slot is angled). Does that mean she has one more slot to go?

My nautis have slots at about 16" and 18", so I don't know. Can't you just move up the head rest to see the slots? Am I remembering correctly that there are four sets total. We've only ever used the top two, so I really don't remember.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My nautis have slots at about 16" and 18", so I don't know. Can't you just move up the head rest to see the slots? Am I remembering correctly that there are four sets total. We've only ever used the top two, so I really don't remember.

Sorry, I was talking about the Frontier. And I have to uninstall it to move up anything IIRC because the thing I have to lift is behind the seat and pressed into my vehicle seat back. I was worried if she was almost outgrown the Frontier top slot, then she'd already outgrown the Nauti (she's on top slots) which I couldn't check tonight since it's in my parent's vehicle.

tam_shops

The original Frontier had slightly lower harness slots than the GN.
The Frontier 85 has higher harness slots than the GN, like 20".

Those of you w/ LOs outgrowing the harness on the GN, make sure you check *under* the head rest/padding, there is a set of harness slots under there that are kind of hidden.

tam

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
TechnoGranola said:
Okay, the thread about the Nauti being taller was from June 2008, so maybe that was the original Frontier? It did change at some point, correct?

For the life of me, I can't tell what slot DD is on in the Frontier due to how the harness adjusts and what's visible when the seat is installed. I measured the slot she's on and it's at ~17" (approximate because the slot is angled). Does that mean she has one more slot to go?

I measured her torso too and it's 16.5" which makes sense because she looks to have about a half inch left on this slot height. And seems then like I don't need to get my dad to check her in the Nauti just yet, as she should have room left if it's 18-18.5".

Yeah the difference between the original Frontier and the Frontier85 is huge. The original Frontier was comparable to the Nautilus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC