Large SUV vs full-size van for 5-6 seats?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I am stuck here and just can't decide. We waffle between a Suburban or Excursion, and a Nissan NV. The issue is this: the Nissan dealer has two NV vans on their way up here. One is already sold and the other is not, but they are expecting it to be sold by the time it gets here. The dealer is unsure as to whether they will stock the NV or just order them as needed; they are going to wait and see what the interest level is. There is a 4x4 conversion available, with a 6-month wait time.

So we can either:

a) buy a Suburban/Excursion and call it a day
b) buy the NV sight-unseen and in 2WD
c) buy a Suburban/Excursion to bridge the gap until we can get the 4x4 conversion

:confused:

I'm thinking a big SUV is going to be a pain accessing the 3rd row and loading kids back there. DD2 can buckle but not unbuckle her harness. If we do three across the 2nd row, the 3rd row will be inaccessible. I love the accessibility and options of the NV but I can't wait 6 months (and really, we can't wait until the end of April).

I need someone to tell me what to do :eek: We've been going back and forth for months and we need to make a decision.

ADS

Melanie

Totally not what you're asking about...have you considered buying the Nissan from another state and flying to pick it up? Maybe there's more availability in other states?

I think with 5-6 car seat kids I'd want a vehicle to be as convenient as possible, so I'd pick the Nissan if you could get a hold of it. Do you have the option of buying a used Excursion/Suburban to get you buy until the right Nissan is available? If you could buy and sell private party you should be able to get your money back.

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Actually I hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea, if I were to get the 2WD, but there would still be a wait for the 4WD conversion.

We are planning on keeping my car, so if we got an SUV we'd have to get a loan for it.

Kegracin

I'd say stick with the Van...I have a Yukon and it makes me grumpy when I have have my three plus my niece and nephew (so 3 RF 2 ff)

Phineasmama

No way on the SUV. I wouldn't even get an SUV for my 3 kids! For me the sliding doors, low to the ground and easy access for car seats makes the van a no brainer.

Peony

Van. I only have 4 in a Expedition EL (we also have a Suburban) and day in and day out access to the 3rd row is a major pain. I have to assist EVERY SINGLE TIME anyone needs back there. That is easily many times a day. Just a quick pick up involves me getting out, opening the door to the second door, and flipping a seat up or down, and kids squeezing around other kids, carseats. I dearly miss my Sienna where I had the 2nd row captain chairs scooted over for easy access and children could get in and out without me!!! I dream of the NV converted to 4x4 (we live in the mountains of CO) with the 4th row taken out. The wait will be will worth it for you guys.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have to agree. DH said he wants to wait for the 4x4 conversion. The six months and $10k will be worth it (hopefully!!). Now I just have to decide what to do for the interim.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Well my problem was solved my a very smart person...duh...just buy the 2WD NV now, and order the 4WD conversion, and then trade in the 2WD when the 4WD comes in. Problem solved :p

Keeanh

What about scrounging up $1K for an old Caravan or something to last you until the 4wd NV is ready? Then you could sell the Caravan & get your $$ back. 10+yo vehicles don't really depreciate much in 6mos, as long as you don't kill them ;).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
DH actually has an old Ford Deathstar that has all the seats, but I won't drive it since it has no ABS. My sister's boyfriend is giving us another Deathstar a couple years newer, so I could drive it, if I need to while we wait for the 2WD version to come in :)

luckyclov

Well my problem was solved my a very smart person...duh...just buy the 2WD NV now, and order the 4WD conversion, and then trade in the 2WD when the 4WD comes in. Problem solved :p
Yeah, but then you'll lose money. More money than just the difference in cost from 2WD to 4WD. And with gas at $676.78 a gallon, who wants to lose money vehicle-related if they don't absolutely HAVE to?

I vote newer Deathstar until 4WD comes in. Or Keeanh's idea.

Phineasmama

You might not have to trade it in though, if they are in such high demand couldn't you just sell it yourself?

I guess I would just try and use something temporary though until you can get what you really want.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah DH is worried about the losing money thing. It would already be a bit more for the 4WD version.

Selling it private party would be way better, but I have no idea about selling a vehicle with a lien in the title. Is that even possible?

Phineasmama

When XH and I were married we sold a Jetta to his mom and she basically just paid off the loan and they sent her the title. Idk how it would work if you're selling it to a stranger but I imagine if it's a business or someone with the cash to buy it outright it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I asked my mom because in knew she had done it, and she just had the buyer meet her at the bank it was financed through, they walked in together and he gave her the cash, she gave the cashier the cash and she got a letter saying the lien was released and the title was clear. Then the manager of the bank signed the title and mom signed it and gave that to the buyer who sent it on to the state to get the new title. In that state you have to send off for a new title; here you just walk into the DMV and they print you one.

Phineasmama

That's really smart because then the buyer knows you actually paid off the vehicle! I wonder how it works if you're not financed through something with a local branch though? My CRV is through Honda Finance and I think they only have a website...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah I'm not sure how that would work. We are planning on financing through our local credit union; I'll have to call them and see how that would work. It's kinda odd to be planning the sale before I've even bought it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC