locking clip question

jn__

I've got my dog restrained to the seat belt. He's just clipped on, so it won't stay locked since it's almost fully retracted with nothing in it (hope that makes sense) However since it's not locked he can roam and I don't want him to be able to get off the seat. So I put a locking clip on it and clipped him to the waist belt portion of the seat belt and this solved my problem...

however, every so often I get in the car and the locking clip is totally off the belt. Is this normal for it to fall off when it's not under tension? Or am I doing it wrong?? :confused::rolleyes:

ADS

lynsgirl

Yes, I think it would be perfectly normal for the locking clip to not stay on when the belt is loose and not under any tension, especially if the position of the belt accommodated that.

However, having said that, I'm not sure I'd keep using the locking clip (sorry to say so :eek:), because it's a pre-crash positioner that could/will fly off and/or break in a crash. Since it's not restraining a seat, I'd think the chances of it flying farther (not blocked by a seat shell or belt path) or hitting your dog as a projectile (or someone else!) are higher, at least IMHO. Maybe someone else has more input on that part of it AND on a good way to keep your dog restrained :). I am not very up-to-date on pet restraints, since I don't have a pet, but I know several techs here are.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I buckle my dog with the lap belt. I personally wouldn't use a locking clip because locking clips can, and do pop off during a crash.If it did it would be right against my dog. The seat belt will lock up in a crash and restrain your dog. Maybe you could attach a leash to the dog harness (not a collar, just in case it does hold) to keep the dog in place during normal driving?

Kimberly

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I assume you're using a lap/shoulder belt combination (ie, a 3-point belt)? What kind of dog harness are you using?

In most vehicles I've been in with lockable belts, I've been able to lock the belt as long as it was pulled out far enough to be buckled. Here's a good page with instructions for locking the seatbelt and for installing a locking clip if the belt won't lock on its own.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Locking clips are PRE-crash positioners only (for carseats, nothing else) & they do bend during a crash: the seatbelt Emergency Locking system engages via the pendulum to prevent the carseat/occupant from becoming a projectile -- I would never expect or trust a locking clip or seatbelt alone to properly restrain an animal!

IMMI's petbuckle is a very good product & IMMI is trustworthy because they're the makers of carseat harnesses, the Safeguard carseats + emergency restraint systems.

jn__

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the projectile because I didn't think it would come off so easily!

He is an 11 lb yorkie restrained with an Immi harness. We don't have latch in the car, but if I did I'd do that. I have seen a system that uses the rear tether, which would work just as well, I just can't remember where I saw it. I'm using a 3pt lap/shoulder belt, it locks when you pull it out all the way and back in, but then unlocks itself. I know the seat belt will lock in a crash, the problem is the dog knows the seat belt will move if he pulls hard enough and he can get to the front seat, or over the back, etc. :rolleyes:

I do attach his leash to his harness (it's a harness, not a collar) and to the seat belt just for backup, but that's mostly so he can't run anywhere if he gets out of the immi or something. (yes, I'm paranoid lol) I'm afraid of making the leash too short though.

mommycat

Could you buckle the belt to the next female bucle over? That might keep it pulled out far enough to keep the retractor locked.

jn__

no, I have a car seat there! lol I also figured it imprudent to tether the dog to that already-buckled buckle :)

There's 2 car seats and the dog in the other seat. I guess I'll look for the tether that uses the rear anchors, thanks everyone. I thought I was doing something wrong with the clip but I'm definitely taking it off now!

mommycat

Oh, well that wouldn't work then. :eek:

Would it be possible to use a belt shortening clip on the lap portion? I don't know enough about these to figure it out.

I got curious; here are some other pet restraints:

Pet Car Lookout
This tells you to attach the strap to the dog's collar, how is that safe? Looks interesting though...

pet travel harness
It says you can use seatbelt OR tether. From this link though, it looks like when they say "tether" thay mean the lower latch points?
This one lets you buy just the tether, and it clearly shows using the lower latch point: http://www.topoftheline-travel.com/dog-harness-restraint-tether.html ---ETA this is the same one AdventureMom posted.

jn__

Yep, that's the Immi. That's the same exact one I have... I know they sell the latch kit but we don't have latch. That is such a cool idea though. I guess I could use the Immi along with one of those raised car beds and just use the bed to keep the seat belt in line... that would also keep my son from kicking crud out of poor dog on long trips. But I kinda prefer he be low in the car. He'd actually prefer to be in a crate, we have to get a soft crate for the car though.

Oh and both my husband and I were horrified watching that doggie crash test video! Did they have to make it furry and lifelike!

mommycat

Oh and both my husband and I were horrified watching that doggie crash test video! Did they have to make it furry and lifelike!
Totally! Those dog dummies were so life-like! They don't do that with "human" crash test dummies.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
OK, now I understand better -- it sounded like you had the locking clip attaching a regular harness/collar to the seatbelt :eek:

The locking clip definitely should not be able to come off the belt unless your dog is super talented, like maybe it belongs in the circus :p Seriously, the locking clip's job is to keep a carseat tight before a crash & then the seatbelt system takes over.... Did the "Locking in a Child Restratint" page @ www.cpsafety.com help you out as far as proper use? Or could you maybe share a picture :confused:

For an 11# Yorkie, I do think using the locking clip to keep the seatelt tight should be perfectly fine in conjunction with the PetBuckle :)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Yes, and if the locking clip is on properly, I can't imagine how it would fall off, even when the belt is not buckled.

tjham

I like the idea of using latch! I have an extra strap I can use to attach my dog's car harness to!

jn__

I am sorry for not being clear! lol and here I was trying to break it up into easy to digest steps, I gues I failed huh? ;)

I did read that page, I have it on the same way. The only thing I can think of is the dog is sitting on the belt somehow and pushing it out of the clip (if the belt is 'standing up' and not laying flat on the seat??)

I will take pics today. I can't get in the car w/o backing it out of the garage, so if I can squeeze my pg belly into it enough to go to the Y, I'll take some photos when I get back :)

Oh one question - if I got the Immi travel buckle - the long one that attaches to the latch - can i use that on the top tether or will the top tether only accept one of the "regular" hook type latches? (see I know that was unclear, but I hope someone gets it) Here's a link to what i mean (scroll down to quik-connect tether) http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckle/products_harness.htm

Will that thing clip to the upper anchor?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Tether anchor would be fine for your dog ;) I had to use the outboard tether anchors for my 45# dogs because my Escape Hybrid didn't have floor anchors nor could a barrier be installed + I had 3 kids in the backseats (only 1 with FF seat using the center tether anchor: the others were RF & booster with another passenger up front) -- I had to remove the plastic cover to use the PetBuckle on my ceiling mounted tether anchors....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC