Need seat for 3 month old with hip brace

thepote

Baby is three months; will be in a brace for a year. Car is a 4-door Civic (don't know year). My initial thought is a Radian. Any other thoughts for mom?

Here is a picture of the brace:
hipbrace1.jpg

ADS

thepote

CTRS4peds said:
Would the mom be able to get a hippo snug seat to try?

Well probably if it came to that they would get a specialized seat, but with the way she is braced it seems that she will fit in regular seats that are shaped right. She'll be braced for a year and after she should be out of the brace. If they can get something that will carry her through beyond the braced time that seems ideal.

thepote

Re: Need seat for 3 month old with hip brace UPDATE: pic

UPDATE: They got a Radian. Here is a picture (with permission):

hipbraceinradian.jpg

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Looks like a good fit, although the crotch buckle might need to move out a slot.

I can't see if they are using the tether.

I also can't remember if there are any weight/height limits on using the inserts for the RA.

BTW - they can use rolled washcloths, towels, or blankets if needed to provide support under her knees or lower legs as she grows.

hrice

flipper68 said:
Looks like a good fit, although the crotch buckle might need to move out a slot.

I can't see if they are using the tether.

I also can't remember if there are any weight/height limits on using the inserts for the RA.

BTW - they can use rolled washcloths, towels, or blankets if needed to provide support under her knees or lower legs as she grows.

It might allow her to slouch if the buckle us moved out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can use the insert up to 30 lbs. I think- at least that was the rule on the SK Radians. You could then move the bottom portion up to the head with no limit on that, not sure whether they still allow that either.

thepote

She said they had a hard time getting the straps snug around her so she didn't slide or slump, so that's probably why they went with that slot on the crotch buckle.

hrice

ketchupqueen said:
You can use the insert up to 30 lbs. I think- at least that was the rule on the SK Radians. You could then move the bottom portion up to the head with no limit on that, not sure whether they still allow that either.

The new (bum & back) inserts are one piece instead of two so you can't move that pad up to use as a headrest. I was totally bummed when I opened my R120 box and found that. :(

Eclipsepearl

Just curious-is that for a hip displacement? I was in a cast, then a brace for 2 1/2 years but two of mine only needed a soft brace.

Just as a heads-up, warn friends and family that your baby can't wear certain clothes and a lot had to be in a much bigger size. You may want to ask them to simply not buy any clothes for your child (or only with your instructions). Can't tell you how many things I never put on my babies. Such a waste! Hope that avoids the problem, especially since you have a year of this!

Can you go down to the store and try the seats out? Pick a happy moment of the day (probably morning) to do this.

Just as encouragement, one does Judo and the other is a competitive gymnast. I've also never had any problems and my case was bad. It's a nice day when you do the last X-ray!

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC