Let the kids ride with Grandpa? I dunno.....!

MumOf3

I have the sweetest in-laws anyone could wish for :) They come and watch the kids while my husband and I go out on a date night every once in a while. Sometimes they come and stay so we can go to the YMCA to work out together instead of by ourselves, which is nice. They play with the kids and not just sit there and watch and our kids adore their Grandparents. In short - they are wonderful people!

*Now here's my dilemma: My father in law has now decided that it would be a good idea to buy a car seat for his car to drive the grand-kiddies around in, instead of us driving the kids to their house. Especially on weekends while we are driving our other children to activities, etc. He wants to help (and we think it's really sweet that he wants to do the right thing and get a good car seat, but he is a frail man and we just know he wouldn't be able to strap our son in correctly) and also my 70 year old FIL is known for his rather 'frail' driving habits. Driving up and down the curb is normal and he doesn't even know he does it! We just gasp whenever we drive with him!

My husband and I just can't imagine letting our 5 year old son drive with him. But - HOW do we tell him this without offending him? Of course our son's safety goes first, there's no doubt about it. But how do we let him down gently? :confused: Does anyhone have any ideas?

ADS

lovemy2kidstw

Just find an excuse not to let your son ride with them. When my grandparents were in good health & still driving, my mom watched DD while I worked & I told her under no circumstances were they allowed to drive when DD was with them. At 70+ their reflexes , vision, & hearing aren't what they used to be. You may just have to flat out tell them :(. I wouldn't trust a teenage driver with my kids nor would I trust an elderly person.

Dmcj13

Is your son able to buckle himself? Snd does he have an understanding of how tight the straps are supposed to be, and that it is important? If so, I would let him. S five year old is old enough to be partially responsible for his safety.

ETA: Just saw the part about not trusting you FIL to drive safely, that is a different story. You will have to tell him that you are not comfortable with him transporting your DS.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC