Played with Boosters today *pic heavy*

firemomof3

I got the "itch" today and hauled the girls outside for some pictures :p Model 1 is dd2 and her stats are in my siggy. She is a great model for those kids who are age/weight ready for a booster but on the smaller side.

Original Parkway, by far my favorite :love:
IMG_0262.jpg

The rest are going to have to wait because photobucket is being slow! I have pics of the Oobr, ParkwaySGL, Graco TB & Harmony Dreamtime....
OK lets try again. All these boosters placed the lap belt high on the upper thighs, just in case you can't see it in the pictures

Graco TB, classic textbook fit!
IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Harmony Dreamtime
IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Oobr
IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

Parkway SGL, didn't like the shoulder belt fit at all
IMG_0266.jpg

Harmony literider which many of her little friends ride in, provides a nice fit
IMG_0275.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

Model #2 is a friend who is 8y/o 53.5" tall 67lbs. and wears a size 10 clothing. As you can see she doesn't pass the 5 step test yet.
*I do have parental consent to post this child's pics*

IMG_0263.jpg

Harmony literider:
IMG_0265.jpg

Oobr in the tallest setting. She said it was comfortable:
IMG_0270.jpg

Parkway SGL in tallest setting, great fit! Her feet were flat on the ground.
IMG_0267.jpg

tm4d

Thanks for these pics. I have a feeling we will be in a similar height/weight position with my dd in about 2-3 yrs. She is 4y1m sitting right @ 32 lbs. and 38 in. It might be wishful thinking for her to hit 40 lbs. by the time she's 7 let alone 6 :p

Is it recommended that kids always need to hit 40 lbs. before sitting in a booster? I know the general info. about being mature enough, etc. I just hear 40 lbs. mentioned a lot. It will be awhile for us anyway since she's still RF and likes it. Who knows what new fandangled things will be out in another couple years ;)

Chila88

Thanks for the pics! I love the Oobr and am considering it for my DD in a year or so, but you can really see in your pics how much shorter the base is and how much less leg support it offers. Does this bother your kids? Do they ever complain? My DD has really long skinny legs so this concerns me a little!

Thanks!

Laurelz

Can I ask why you don't like the SGL? I've seen in other threads that people aren't happy with the belt fit in this seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

mlohry

Laurelz said:
Can I ask why you don't like the SGL? I've seen in other threads that people aren't happy with the belt fit in this seat.

We had a similar experience with the SGL. I keep trying it to make sure I don't get the love, but it's not happening.

firemomof3

I love the SGL for my dd1 because of the height and it fits her perfect but for dd2 the shoulder belt always wants to slide off to the edge of her shoulder which makes me nervous.

TarynB

40 lbs is the recommended weight they be for a booster, but there are exceptions to that rule in older children who are lightweight but tall(or are mostly torso.)

My ds rode in a booster for the first time at 35 lbs, but he was 5 years old. He had outgrown the harness in his combo seat(Evenflo Generations, I think) in my parents' car. I got him a parkway for my parents' car as the Generations was a bad fit for my skinny son.

I used a now expired Husky in my car after he outgrew his roundabout by height at 3 years old. After the Husky expired he was moved to a Parkway in my car. He's 9.5 years old weighs 60 lbs and is around 4' 3" tall. I wouldn't put my child in a booster in the main car he rode in under 40 lbs but for other cars he rides in I had no problem using a highback booster.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member

I love the SGL for my dd1 because of the height and it fits her perfect but for dd2 the shoulder belt always wants to slide off to the edge of her shoulder which makes me nervous.

Our DDs are about the same size and age (when's her birthday?) and the fit is pretty much the same. I posted a booster comparison thread a couple weeks ago and got the same findings. I actively hate the Parkway :eek: (shoulderbelt slippage big time) and just don't feel the love with the Turbos. I'm excited to try out the "new" turbo though.

henrietta

It used to be that combo and convertible seats only went to 40 lbs harnessed. 40 lbs is a fairly average size 5 yr old. As a general rule, most 3 yr olds are not 40 lbs. So, 40 lbs came about for many reasons. BUT age is a more important factor in determining when a child can safely ride in a booster. Age determines how developed their bone structure is. Age is also related to maturity. A 3 or 4 yr old isn't likely to be mature enough to sit properly in a booster without multiple reminders and help, which takes the driver's eyes off the road. Size is secondary to age and maturity. It's *more likely* that a 40 lbs child will meet the age and maturity criteria than a 30 lbs child.

All low back boosters that I know of say for kids "over 40 lbs". Some high back boosters, like the Britax Parkway SG/SGL require kids to be 40 lbs to use them.

FWIW, I wasn't comfortable w/my skinny minny kiddo riding in a booster at 4 or 5 years old and much less than 40 lbs. I think it's much less likely for a larger child to submarine under the lap belt than a tiny one. There are instances of younger/smaller kids going under the lap belt in crashes. But by the time he was 6 and 40 lbs, I felt a lot more comfortable seeing him a well fitting booster. There was a big difference in how he looked in the booster b/t 5 yrs old and 36 lbs and 6 yrs old and 40 lbs. My preference is for kiddos to stay harnessed past age 4 or 5 provided they still fit in their harnessed seat. If it's possible to buy another seat to keep them harnessed to age 6 or 7 and 40 lbs, I suggest that. But sometimes, that's not possible, and a well fitting high back booster is a safe option for kiddos over 4 and 40 lbs.

hths

henrietta

tm4d

Thanks henrietta that was super helpful info!!

my dd is so short that she will probably fit harnessed for quite awhile too so I'm sure we'll have plenty of options in that area :)

firemomof3

Our DDs are about the same size and age (when's her birthday?) and the fit is pretty much the same. I posted a booster comparison thread a couple weeks ago and got the same findings. I actively hate the Parkway :eek: (shoulderbelt slippage big time) and just don't feel the love with the Turbos. I'm excited to try out the "new" turbo though.

DD2 turned 6 on Feb.20th :) I love the SGL for my dd1 because I really need the height in dh's truck (no headrests :mad:). I love the original parkway, the fit is just sooo nice and its so comfortable....and narrow! :love::love: I only have 1 year left though till it expires :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC