6.5 year old...Nautilus to Frontier?

callaroz

My son is currently riding in a Nautilus and has about another inch of growing before he has outgrown the last harness slot. I do have a Monterey for him, which he and I both love! My problem is that I'm a daycare provider, and sometimes during school hours, I need to use my son's seat to harness a 4 year old. He is almost 4 years old and about 40 lbs. I wouldn't feel comfortable having him in a booster. I have a friend in need who I was planning on passing the Nautilus on to(no flames!), so if this is the case I would need to purchase another 5 pt harness for occasional use with the almost 4 yo daycare child. Would it be worth it to purchase a Frontier so my son could remain harnessed, as well as having a 5 pt harness for the daycare child? Is there a huge difference in how much longer my son could stay harnessed in the Frontier vs. the Nautilus. Also, with either the Frontier or the Nautilus, would I be able to keep the harness in(just pull the straps really loose and hang them over the sides of the seat), but still use them as a booster? That way when my son has outgrown the seat he could use it as a booster, but I would still have quick access to a 5 pt harness when I had the almost 4 yo.
And FYI - I do have another Nautilus and 3 Radians (plus I own a TB and Monterey) installed in my van in addition to my son's Nautilus. The other 4 seats are all designated to my full-time daycare children, so unless one is away, it's not possible to use another seat for the nearly 4 yo daycare child.

ADS

MommyShannon

The harness on the FR85 is about 2" higher than the nautilus so it would last quite a while probably. You have to uninstall it to change the height though if the height for your son is too high for the 4 year old.

callaroz

Thanks for your response! I realize that I would have to uninstall that, I've been doing that with his Nautilus (it's a pain in the butt, but easier than having to keep another seat in my trunk so I can switch seats whenever I pick up 4 yo). I think I like the idea of the Frontier because I can keep ds harnessed longer...he LOVES sleeping in the car and I feel so much better having him harnessed on road trips for this reason. And not only that, I can still use the same seat for other daycare kids, instead of having to switch to an entirely different seat.
I'm still curious to know if I can keep the harness in while using them as a booster, so I can switch between a 5 pt harness and booster depending on who I have in the seat.

MommyShannon

If you are used to that, you'll like the FR then. The no rethread harness is a quick adjustment! Installing was more of a learning curve than the nauti, but it should get easier as you do it. It's a great seat for sleeping in. I'm not a tech so I don't know about using it as a booster with the harness in. It does have a block that has to be flipped though to switch it from booster to harness mode so you couldn't have it set up for both all the time.

tam_shops

Could you keep the GN and just pull out your son's booster on the day(s) you need it for the d/c child, when no one else is away?

I was told you can just leave the harness adjusted for the taller child and put the shorter child in and leave the harness there. There were rule(s) about it, something about the ears of the smaller child not being over the top of the harness slots??? Someone will correct me, or you can do a search...

Personally, I really want a Frontier so I'd use it as an excuse to buy one, for the convenience of not having to move anything, but I've been told even my 6yo doesn't need a Frontier! ;)

And, no you can not just move the straps out of the way. Not sure why though. I wouldn't worry about it, if ODS is 6yo and the child is 4yo he'll either be gone to Kindergarten by the time ODS outgrows the Frontier, or old/big enough to booster. For the day(s) you have the 4yo, is there another older child, perhaps a 5yo, that could go in the booster and put the 4yo in the 5yo's seat?

If you can disable the airbag AND have a tether installed, it'd be legal to put the GN in the front seat. Though, legal and safe are not the same...just another option, probably as much as the Frontier, cost wise! LOL

The last thing I'd say is if the 4yo (or another 4-5yo) in your d/c is in a HBB in their own family car, I would be more inclined to put that child in the HBB, than spend $300 on the Frontier. And, I really really want one, but the reason that I don't have one is $300 is a lot of money to spend on something you *want*, but do not *need*...

tam

callaroz

I was just coming back on to mention how great it was that I just found out it has a no-re thread harness! With the Nautilus I've been having to re-thread the straps each time...so time consuming!
I have a pretty easy time getting a rock solid install in my van's captain seats (where the seat will be going) with all seats that I've tried so far. I'm hoping the Frontier is the same :)

tam_shops

You shouldn't have to re-thread the harness of the GN each time, my guys shared the Maestro w/ some other kids at d/c and there were a couple years apart. Unless one is really tall and other really short...

And, I'm with you on the Frontier! LOL

Oh, and you'll at least have to remove the top tether to adjust the height (should you want/need to), the thing to adjust it is behind the seat.

tam

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What vehicle do you drive? The Frontier is super easy with a UAS install (at least I have found it to be, so far) but if you're over the weight limit for UAS use for your vehicle, the Frontier may not be an easy install at all, particularly in captain's chairs, depending on where the seat belts are anchored and which belt path you use.

I'm not trying to be a downer - just trying to foresee any other issues before you get too excited!

I have no idea about using it in booster mode with the harness still in. I suspect it's not advised or even possible, depending on the height of the kids. You have to remove a screw from the head rest to raise the headrest for booster mode.

MommyShannon

What kind of van is it? I have it in an '06 Ody. Assuming you are using the seatbelt, there are two ways to install it. It's trickier than other seats but not impossible. You can search YouTube for videos.

callaroz

The daycare child's parent works on call and doesn't often know until 9 am that morning if they need daycare...so I couldn't just switch out the seats as I'm already at my son's school. My 4 other daycare children are 3 years old and under (2 rear-facing), so putting them in a booster isn't an option.
I have the money for a Frontier, it's just that my son doesn't NEED it lol...but I do have a great excuse to get one :) If I couldn't afford it, obviously I would make it work by keeping an extra seat in my trunk or seeing if I could use the Nautilus as a harness/booster at the same time.
And also, I can't disable my front passenger air bag, but the side air bags do shut off if a child/light adults is in the seat. There have been a few rare occasions where I have had to push the front seat back as far as possible and install & tether my son's Nautilus for a short drive to and from school. Because I can't turn the air bag off, I am not comfortable doing this unless absolutely necessary.
And as for rethreading the harness? The nearly 4 yo is tall enough to fit on the second last slot. When I've been in a rush I've had him on the top slot, the same as my son. Is this safe? I know that the straps are supposed to be just at or above their shoulders, so is it ok to be one slot higher than what is needed? I thought that maybe it wasn't safe to have the straps TOO high. If somebody could clarify this it would be very helpful and possible save me a lot of trouble when it comes to changed the harness height!

callaroz

I drive an 02 Odyssey at the moment, and I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer 8 passenger Odyssey or Sienna in the next year. With the captain chairs, I slightly recline the seats and install the car seat. I then pull the seat back upright as much as possible and I can get a great install this way. Would this be helpful with the Frontier?
I've watched the videos on youtube and read a few reviews, so I know what I'm in for. My friend has a Frontier that is about 4 years old. Would the installation be the same as the new seats? I'm over an hour away from a store with a Frontier, so if I can practice with hers and order online that would be the most convenient.

tam_shops

Sometimes the convenience of something is well worth the cost, that is why so many people have a spare seat...

I am *not* a tech, I was told 1-2 harness slots above the shoulders for FF is fine. I do not recall the other details. Know I checked and took pictures of my YDS b/c the harness needed to be up 1-2 levels for an older child and d/c lady isn't car seat savy...

I'd leave the GN harness slots where they are, take a pic and post it w/ a new thread, so you can compare. And, don't forget you may get away w/ a few more months if ds is just getting to the top of the GN, so you can wait for a good sale. I'm a sucker for a good sale! LOL

tam

Nimommyof2

How close to four is this other child? They are over 40lbs are they in a booster in their parents vehicle? Do you have to drive very far with this child and is any of the driving on faster than 60km hour roads. My answer would depend on your answers to these questions. I have a large four yr old I watch and she goes in the booster sometimes, her parents have her in the booster so I am fine with it. If you arent' driving on major highways I'd be more for a booster to. What about those other new seats the evenflo at toys r us or the harmony seat does anyone know the heights on these seats?

callaroz

Ohh ok, perhaps I will post the harness slot question specifically and see what a tech says. If what you say is the case, that will save me so much time and trouble!

I'm sure ds will have a few more months in the seat, so I was just thinking that I should probably try and wait it out for a sale. I just get so eager to get new seats lol! I was actually wanting to purchase a Marathon as Babies r Us has them on sale right now. Fortunately they sold out right away so I will be saving myself the $200+ this time :p

Do Frontiers ever go on sale? And if so, where have you seen them on sale? I have ordered 4 of my seats from Snuggle Bugz and really like dealing with them, perhaps if I email them, they will know of when a sale might be happened.

callaroz

The child's parent doesn't drive, but they do have a Triumph for occasional trips out with the grandparents. So no, they've never been in a booster. Most of the trips would just be to and from school or short trips around town (5 minutes) and going no more than 50 km/hr.
However, I'm liking the idea of having an excuse to buy a new seat ;) As a daycare provider, I'm always going to be needing car seats, so something with a 9 year expiry will certainly get a lot of use for a long time to come.

Nimommyof2

I'd say it looks like a good seat and you can write it off too so why not:) I would email snuggle bugz and see if they know if its going on sale and just keep your eyes open since you have a ways to go. You never know if might even be longer than a couple months for him to outgrow the seat

tam_shops

The last few times the Britax seats have been on sale at BRU when they have the trade & save sale. Summer'ish and Fall'ish.

I've seen it on at Snugglebugz before also, probably around the same time, once or twice a year...I'd wait it out and hope for the best! LOL

tam

henrietta

I am a CPST. It's okay for the straps to be a bit above the child's shoulders forward facing. Ideally, at or just above, but the next slot up is okay as long as it's not too far above. I do seem to remember a post about this years ago w/a general "rule"--you can search for it. But there are many times when the next slot up is a good 2 inches above the one below it and the child is just over the 2nd one...and the child needs that next slot up.

I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as the straps stay over the shoulders (not off to the sides).

hths

henrietta

callaroz

Thank you so much for all the helpful input! That is good to know that I don't need to change the shoulder straps every single time, and that I don't need to feel guilty for the times when I didn't have the time to do it.
I think I'll hang on to the the GN until ds outgrows it, and hopefully by then I've been able to purchase a Frontier on sale!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
To answer the question about just moving the harness to the side, no, it's not advisable. It might be something I'd consider in an emergency situation, but not regularly.

The secondary issue is the screw that needs to be removed from the headrest to use the seat in booster mode, as well as the recline block needing to be flipped from a forward position to a back position when changing between booster and harness mode. So it would automatically mean reinstalling it every time and would be more effort than taking the seat out and putting a turbobooster on the seat.

As for the harness slots - in general it's not a big deal if the child is close to needing the next slots up, but I don't feel comfortable with a big jump in harness height when it comes to the Britax seats... When the harness is too far above the shoulders, the head isn't contained in the headwings the same way and that just is far enough away from how the seat is designed to fit that I wouldn't feel ok with it. I'm not even sure I'd do it with most seats unless a child was very very close to needing the straps moved up anyways or it was an emergency. At least if it had an adjustable headrest anyways. It's not the space of the harness above the shoulders so much as the overall adjustment of the seat that I'd be worried about.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC