Get rid of all harness seats?

Jan06twinmom

We're going to be making the big switch from harness car seats to full-time booster seats in the near future. I've already got 6 booster seats (because I have twins and the general rule of thumb is 3 car seats per child, right?). My twins are 7yo and in first grade.

Is there any compelling reason to keep a harness seat - just in case?

I have a Regent that DS is almost outgrowing, but petite DD could probably use for another year or two if I was going to keep her harnessed. We also have 2 Radians that DD still fits in and could probably use for another 6+ to year.

I was planning to sell the car seats on Craigslist. All 3 seats expire in 2015 (Feb and May) so someone else can get some use out of the seats. But I just realized for the first time in 7+ years that I won't have at least 2 harness car seats in our house.

ADS

christineka

My ds has move to a booster full time, probably 4-5 times in the past 5 years. I've sold his harness seats to buy the booster, then had to buy another harnessed seat, sold it, etc, etc. I recommend keeping the harnessed seats for at least 6 months before selling just in case you decide you need the seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Emma went to a nearly-full-time booster at 6 1/2, but was still harnessed for late night long trips until 7 1/2, because it took her that long to learn not to slump when she fell asleep. That was almost 2 years after she started riding in a booster! I might keep it a while juuuust to make sure.

ElfJewel

I would keep 1 harnessed seat, just in case. One of them might need it for a long drive, or just suddenly get wiggly for a while.

Baylor

ketchupqueen said:
Emma went to a nearly-full-time booster at 6 1/2, but was still harnessed for late night long trips until 7 1/2, because it took her that long to learn not to slump when she fell asleep. That was almost 2 years after she started riding in a booster! I might keep it a while juuuust to make sure.

This.

My ds1 who is 7.5 rides in lbb or hbb most the time. However a couple of weeks ago he was so tired and it was a nasty night so I stuck him in the fr85.

Id keep a harness for each of them til they out grow it. Just in case.

auto correct hates me

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Do you have friends w younger kids that you ever transport? That would be an additional reason, along w making sure they're ok on long/late trips etc.

YinzerMama

I'd keep 2 harnessed seats as long as they fit in them, for road trips. I think they sleep so much more comfortably and stay in place so much better while sleeping, in harnessed seats.

Love the 3 per kid rule of thumb. :love: I def. have more car seats than children but arrived at the number in a sane fashion... strollers are where my insanity shines through.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC