Do seats RF on Plane touch seat in frount

Byron

If you install a car seat on a plane, can the seat in frount still recline or does the car-seat touch it and prevent this?

If the seats touch, has anyone had issues with the passinger in frount??

ADS

nmb

MOst likely the seat will touch. (maybe some of the smaller convertibles wouldn't).
If the passenger in front has an issue with it (depending on the kiddo's age), tell them the kid can FF and kick their seat the whole way, or RF and they can't recline.
If you have 2 adults, maybe one can offer to trade to sit in front of the carseat. I don't think most passengers would take you up on that but it's a nice gesture. (unless they're alone and don't mind sitting in the row w/ the kid)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No one is guaranteed a reclining seat. Some seats (in front of emergency rows) don't recline anyway. If someone gets upset, apologizing nicely but explaining that your child's SAFETY seat needs to be installed here and offering to buy them a drink to make up for it might smooth things over. In the end, though, no one has a right to a reclining seat- it's a bonus.

pastrygirl

I usually told them ahead of time that they won't be able to recline. I think it prevented grumpiness if they tried to recline but couldn't. Never thought to offer to buy a drink -- good idea!

Byron

Thanks for the info.

I am traveling alone with two kids. Unfourtunaly we have an 8 hour overnight flight, so I don't know how well informing someone that they can not recline their seat is going to pan out. I really, really do not like any kind of confrentation, and do my best to avoid it. :eek: ( I am guarenteed to get the grumpy passinger in frount of me). And will always back down. Yes I know that is usless, but I just can't do it.

I am also scared of flying, so I am not at my best to start off with. If mum was not having an opperation, I wouldn't be going.

What combos would be the best to not hit the seat in frount. I am flying Air transat. They they use Airbus 330's and 310. The seat has a width of 19" and a pitch of 34"

Byron

Update: Seat Width 16", Pitch 31"

Just spoke to Air-Transat. NOT very helpful. They said any approved seat could be used, but would not comfirm that I could use my car-seat rear-facing even if it touched the seat in frount. That discision would be upto the flight attendants on board. I am not comfortable spending $800+ on a seat for my son if I can not use the car seat rear facing.

As this is a Canadian Company flying out of Canada (to UK), The FAA laws won't apply. Does anyone know if Canadian Authorities guarentee the right to rear face on a plane?

I am going to check with other carriers that do the route. Although I believe that A-T are the only ones that fly direct.

Jan06twinmom

How old/big are your children and what seats do you have to work with? With a child over one, I would consider putting the child forward-facing if necessary.

Melanie

mcomommy

Our Marathon did not touch but it probably would have had the person reclined their seat. They did not though so it was not an issue.

Byron

At time of travel will be an 11 month old,and estimate 20lb. Traveing in a Radian in the car. Was planning to by a Cosco Sencera to fly with.

If it was a short or even day time flight I would no be so worried, but with it being 8hr overnight I am sure most people will recline their seats.

Does anyone know if I would be allowed to turn the seat forward facing, if the flight attendants (or passinger in frount)would not let me keep it rear facing. (obviously in the plane only) as although not idea, would be better than an 11 month old on a plane seat with only a lap belt.

mcomommy

I don't see why they would care, the flight attendants did not give my car seats as second look, we had a rear facing Marathon, forward facing Radian and forward facing Nautilus when we last flew from North Carolina to California. Also I wanted to add when we used the Marathon we had to get a seat belt extender to get it to fit. I honestly don't think it is a big deal to just rear face the seat though. I don't think anyone will give you a hard time.

Lenae

I used my Britax Marathon RF on a plane, in the upright, non-reclined, FF only mode. Obviously, the seat shouldn't be used like this in the car for any reason, but it allowed my DD to be RF and the passenger in front of her seat could still recline. Just a thought.

Byron

Thanks for all the experiances and ideas.:)

I just looked on the list that MumtoEliEM was great enough to make. So it turns out that Air-Transat must have really small plane seats, and only 2 car seats will fit in their seats. The radian and the saftey 1st OnSide air are listed as narrow enough to fit. However, the measurement for the complete air is only the base and TRU lists it as being 16.5 or 17.7 inches wide. I will have to go and check tomorrow what the width is at seatbelt height.

If the OnSide Air does not fit, I am only left with the Radian, which will definatly not go RF.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually, you can usually use wider sears than that, as you can almost always raise the armrests. :)

And again, don't discount an infant seat.

mom2livnbon

You will be fine using a Scenera. You can always raise the armrest if you need to, giving you a couple more inches of room. I usually fly in 737s and have been able to use it with the armrest down. It will prevent the seat in front of it from reclining. This is the case with almost all convertible seats. More often than not, the person in front of you isn't going to give you a hard time about it.

TarynB

I wouldn't be upset if the reason I couldn't recline my seat was due to a rear facing baby. I would hope that the person in front of you would understand and if not it really doesn't matter. Look at it this way, once landed you are unlikely to ever see that person again. I have got through a couple bad flights reminding myself of that.

I would not forward face an 11 month old for any reason, even on a plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC