Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

musical car seats

DS is 2y4m, 33lb, 38" and 14.5" seated shoulder height.
    DD is 4y9m, 44lb, 45" and 15.5" seated shoulder height.

They currently ride in:
    Sienna (main car) - RFing Evenflo Triumph, harnessed Evenflo Maestro
    PT Cruiser (does daycare dropoff every day) - RFing Cosco Scenera, harnessed Evenflo Maestro
    Tundra access cab (grandpa's truck, 1 ride/week) - FFing Cosco Scenera, radian 65.

My first question... I am flying alone with the kids to visit grandma. Grandma wanted to buy a cheap seat so I only had to haul one on the plane. She picked up a Cosco high back booster because it has harness straps, but now I realize that DD is too big for it harnessed. So I can either have her ride in it as a booster or put DS in it harnessed. Which would you suggest?

My second question, is we are about to need to do some musical car seats as DS will soon outgrow the RFing Scenera and Triumph. I'd like to keep him RFing as much as possible.

I can move the radian from the truck to the minivan, but then I'd need a new seat for DD in the Tundra. And I know the Maestros will not fit. I can not have a seat that hangs over at all because grandpa is tall and there is not much leg room. I'd be ok with her being in a high back booster in his truck as she's pretty mature and never falls asleep with the excitement of grandpa picking her up from school. But what is shallow enough?

Any smallish ERFing seats to fit in a PT cruiser? It's not super tiny, but a radian won't fit in it.

Thanks for your help,
    Jena

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: musical car seats

Quote Originally Posted by jenak View Post

They currently ride in:
    PT Cruiser (does daycare dropoff every day) - RFing Cosco Scenera, harnessed Evenflo Maestro
    Tundra access cab (grandpa's truck, 1 ride/week) - FFing Cosco Scenera, radian 65.

My first question... I am flying alone with the kids to visit grandma. Grandma wanted to buy a cheap seat so I only had to haul one on the plane. She picked up a Cosco high back booster because it has harness straps, but now I realize that DD is too big for it harnessed. So I can either have her ride in it as a booster or put DS in it harnessed. Which would you suggest?
    Neither. Is it possible for Grandma to exchange the seat? According to the car seat measurement database, the top harness slots are 14.75in tall. Your 2yo is almost at the limit of the seat as a harness seat. I don't think it works very well as a booster seat either, but hopefully someone else will confirm that.

I would probably ask Grandma to get an Evenflo Maestro, which will be for DD this trip and can be used by DS over the next several years. Or as an alternative, you could ask her to get a Graco Turbobooster for DD to use there.

Melanie

Well, phooey, that figures. I'm sure she can return it, she just got it at Target today. She was asking me while I was at the pedi with 2 sick kids, so no time to research it.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jenak View Post

They currently ride in:

My second question, is we are about to need to do some musical car seats as DS will soon outgrow the RFing Scenera and Triumph. I'd like to keep him RFing as much as possible.

I can move the radian from the truck to the minivan, but then I'd need a new seat for DD in the Tundra. And I know the Maestros will not fit. I can not have a seat that hangs over at all because grandpa is tall and there is not much leg room. I'd be ok with her being in a high back booster in his truck as she's pretty mature and never falls asleep with the excitement of grandpa picking her up from school. But what is shallow enough?

Any smallish ERFing seats to fit in a PT cruiser? It's not super tiny, but a radian won't fit in it.

Thanks for your help,
    Jena
    HHB for DD - I would try the Graco Turbobooster. My 7yo DD is the same size as your DD and the turbobooster fits her well. It's a fairly small seat so I think it will work in the truck.

I'm wondering if you should keep the Radian in the Tundra for DS to use. The Maestro had been one of my other thoughts, but you already know that won't work.

As for a seat that will fit in the PT cruiser, I'm wondering about the Triumph 65. I know that I've seen it recommended for smaller, 2 door cars in the past and it fits well in tight spaces.

Using these ideas, you'll still need a new car seat for the main car. Maybe something like the Complete Air, MyRide or Triumph 65? I would definitely go with a seat with a 40lb rf limit.

Melanie

The cosco high back is a terrible seat, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Thanks! The Cosco booster has been returned for a graco turbobooster, which was the same sale price.

I'll start looking for deals on the other 3 you mentioned since I have a little time. do they have comparable top harness heights? Or is one better than the others for tall kids?