carseats, OK to ship but not to check

Katy

Can someone explain why it is ok to ship a carseat and not to check on a plane? A debate from a mommy board I'm on. I was saying how carseats can get thrown around and broken or have unseen damage to them. Someone said that they have seen fedex and UPS toss things around as well. Would it make a differance if it was in a carseat bag?

ADS

T4K

Car seats are shipped in cardboard boxes that are snug to the seat. They are designed to the the brunt of any force from shipping. Kind of like car crumple zones.

If be comfortable checking a cat seat in its original box.

Katy

Our radian seats were tight in the box, and the FR85 too. I'm pretty sure all the dorel seats hand lots of extra space in those boxes.

thekatie

Katy said:
Our radian seats were tight in the box, and the FR85 too. I'm pretty sure all the dorel seats hand lots of extra space in those boxes.

I don't know about all, but our Maci-Cosi Pria (they're Dorel, right?) had a TON of space and no padding inside the box... but so did our Graco MyRide.

aeormsby

Even if there's space in the box, the box itself is limiting the distance that the seat will move around. If the seat in the box is tossed/dropped from a high/large distance it's going to destroy the box and you'll have some evidence that there might be a problem.

Athena

Good question. I don't remember if I've ever received a seat in padding, outside the box itself, and have wished they had some. On the other hand, when I received a seat in a very, badly damaged box, I did refuse it, assuming the seat had been through more than I was comfortable with. Still, I don't know everything that happened to the others.

pilot8766

Can someone explain why it is ok to ship a carseat and not to check on a plane? ... I was saying how carseats can get thrown around and broken or have unseen damage to them. Someone said that they have seen fedex and UPS toss things around as well. Would it make a differance if it was in a carseat bag?

Gate checked items need to be lowered from the jetway to the ground. They the get loaded in the cargo bin with tons of other unsecured items. Then they have to find their way back up to the jetway.

I personally witnessed ramp personnel toss an infant carrier down the 20 ft or so from the jetway. It landed on pavement and almost for sure caused unseen damage. Sadly I did not deal with it as I had to work and it was on another gate (damage due handling to seats and strollers are usually the airlines responsibility).

So to answer your question, it's wise to NOT gate check any seat, use it on board instead.

TarynB

Ramp workers are not kind to baggage and they don't always handle items with care. Like the PP I have seen ramp workers toss carseats around when gate checked.

There is also the chance your seat won't get on the plane. I have had them not load my son's gate checked stroller twice. It is more likely to be mishandled than forgotten, but I wouldn't want to risk either.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Assuming it is checked in a box, the main difference would be that the shipping carrier will replace an item they damaged but an airline won't. Also, Shipping companies tend to fire employees who are habitually careless with items (since it costs them money to replace the items) whereas the airlines don't even track who handles what.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Can someone explain why it is ok to ship a carseat and not to check on a plane? A debate from a mommy board I'm on. I was saying how carseats can get thrown around and broken or have unseen damage to them. Someone said that they have seen fedex and UPS toss things around as well. Would it make a differance if it was in a carseat bag?

I feel somewhat differently than some others here on the checking issue. The biggest reason that I won't check a seat is that I'm not guaranteed to have it at my destination. My luggage (including gate-checked) does not always arrive at the same time that I do. If I don't take my seat on the plane, I am not guaranteed to have it when I arrive and I don't trust a seat from a rental car company.

I used seats on the plane until my kids are old enough (IMO) not to need them. I have been known to put boosters and other seats in my luggage on my way home because I don't need them at my destination - I have my car and my normal seats.

Eclipsepearl

I'm surprised they're even asking this question.

When a shipping company transports something, it's their business to get the merchandise to the destination in good shape. That's their primary goal.

An airline transports people. The baggage is just an added service.

Airlines are under tight scheduling and timing restrictions. No one will care if a package is a few hours late. But the airlines are under pressure to get those checked items on board and get going. Being careful is not a priority.

And as many have pointed out, you need your car seat on the same flight. If that gets messed up, you don't have a safe way to transport your child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC