Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

carseats, OK to ship but not to check

Can someone explain why it is ok to ship a carseat and not to check on a plane? A debate from a mommy board I'm on. I was saying how carseats can get thrown around and broken or have unseen damage to them. Someone said that they have seen fedex and UPS toss things around as well. Would it make a differance if it was in a carseat bag?
    Nicholas ~ 8yr 50lbs ~ FR85 SICT Harnessed
    ~ Kassandra 12/24-29/05 and Nevaeh 10/21/06 ~ Safe in heaven.
    Karsen ~ 4yr 35lbs ~ ERF in S4ME
    Hailey ~ 3yr 34lbs ~ ERF CA65LX

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Car seats are shipped in cardboard boxes that are snug to the seat. They are designed to the the brunt of any force from shipping. Kind of like car crumple zones.

If be comfortable checking a cat seat in its original box.
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

5. Thank You from:

Re: carseats, OK to ship but not to check

Our radian seats were tight in the box, and the FR85 too. I'm pretty sure all the dorel seats hand lots of extra space in those boxes.
    Nicholas ~ 8yr 50lbs ~ FR85 SICT Harnessed
    ~ Kassandra 12/24-29/05 and Nevaeh 10/21/06 ~ Safe in heaven.
    Karsen ~ 4yr 35lbs ~ ERF in S4ME
    Hailey ~ 3yr 34lbs ~ ERF CA65LX

Quote Originally Posted by Katy
    Our radian seats were tight in the box, and the FR85 too. I'm pretty sure all the dorel seats hand lots of extra space in those boxes.
    I don't know about all, but our Maci-Cosi Pria (they're Dorel, right?) had a TON of space and no padding inside the box... but so did our Graco MyRide.
    Marathon Mom (in training) to:
    J1 - 15 years & 5-stepping and driving (well, provisionally)
    J2 - 7 years in Diono Radian and Graco TurboBooster

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Even if there's space in the box, the box itself is limiting the distance that the seat will move around. If the seat in the box is tossed/dropped from a high/large distance it's going to destroy the box and you'll have some evidence that there might be a problem.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

CPS Fanatic

Good question. I don't remember if I've ever received a seat in padding, outside the box itself, and have wished they had some. On the other hand, when I received a seat in a very, badly damaged box, I did refuse it, assuming the seat had been through more than I was comfortable with. Still, I don't know everything that happened to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Can someone explain why it is ok to ship a carseat and not to check on a plane? ... I was saying how carseats can get thrown around and broken or have unseen damage to them. Someone said that they have seen fedex and UPS toss things around as well. Would it make a differance if it was in a carseat bag?
    Gate checked items need to be lowered from the jetway to the ground. They the get loaded in the cargo bin with tons of other unsecured items. Then they have to find their way back up to the jetway.

I personally witnessed ramp personnel toss an infant carrier down the 20 ft or so from the jetway. It landed on pavement and almost for sure caused unseen damage. Sadly I did not deal with it as I had to work and it was on another gate (damage due handling to seats and strollers are usually the airlines responsibility).

So to answer your question, it's wise to NOT gate check any seat, use it on board instead.

11. Thank You from:

Ramp workers are not kind to baggage and they don't always handle items with care. Like the PP I have seen ramp workers toss carseats around when gate checked.

There is also the chance your seat won't get on the plane. I have had them not load my son's gate checked stroller twice. It is more likely to be mishandled than forgotten, but I wouldn't want to risk either.

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Assuming it is checked in a box, the main difference would be that the shipping carrier will replace an item they damaged but an airline won't. Also, Shipping companies tend to fire employees who are habitually careless with items (since it costs them money to replace the items) whereas the airlines don't even track who handles what.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Admin - CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Can someone explain why it is ok to ship a carseat and not to check on a plane? A debate from a mommy board I'm on. I was saying how carseats can get thrown around and broken or have unseen damage to them. Someone said that they have seen fedex and UPS toss things around as well. Would it make a differance if it was in a carseat bag?
    I feel somewhat differently than some others here on the checking issue. The biggest reason that I won't check a seat is that I'm not guaranteed to have it at my destination. My luggage (including gate-checked) does not always arrive at the same time that I do. If I don't take my seat on the plane, I am not guaranteed to have it when I arrive and I don't trust a seat from a rental car company.

I used seats on the plane until my kids are old enough (IMO) not to need them. I have been known to put boosters and other seats in my luggage on my way home because I don't need them at my destination - I have my car and my normal seats.

Carseat Crazy

I'm surprised they're even asking this question.

When a shipping company transports something, it's their business to get the merchandise to the destination in good shape. That's their primary goal.

An airline transports people. The baggage is just an added service.

Airlines are under tight scheduling and timing restrictions. No one will care if a package is a few hours late. But the airlines are under pressure to get those checked items on board and get going. Being careful is not a priority.

And as many have pointed out, you need your car seat on the same flight. If that gets messed up, you don't have a safe way to transport your child.
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com