How strict would you be?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For my daughter's birthday, I am taking her and a friend for mani/pedis and then for ice cream. The ice cream shop is in the same strip mall as the nail place. We were going to walk but weather is going to be terrible. Friend's mother has instructed me NOT to put her daughter in a booster. :rolleyes: She is 10yo, about 4'7", and I'm sure she's over 80#. She's definitely legal to be boosterless in my state. I doubt she would pass the 5-step test in my car. However, it is less than a block and we'll be going about 10mph. This isn't worth arguing about, or is it? Or should I just bring a big umbrella and tell them to suck it up and deal because they're getting ice cream?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Less than a block? By the time you walk to/from the parking spaces, have you actually avoided any weather? I say just walk.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Sometimes I hate knowing what I do, because 99% of the parents I know would just chuck the kids in the car and not give it a second thought, especially for 10yos.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
In that case, I say just skip the booster if it's going to cause issues. Keep in mind, though, that I'm currently mired in a state of remarkable apathy, so take that for what it's worth.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I wouldn't say that I'm apathetic, exactly, but I am understanding of why other parents don't care as much as we do, in general. It's not easy, especially with older kids. (If she was a 45# 6yo, she'd be boostered in my car or she wouldn't ride in it. But I don't know how much fight I have for a ~90# 10yo for less than one block.)

babyherder

Ugh. That's a hard position. I would normally say that the car doesn't move unless everyone is buckled properly but then your friend's dd couldn't go with you so your dd would be disappointed.

tam_shops

WOW, on the don't put my child in a booster, what's with that!?

I'd tell her to drop her dd off at the nail place, and then walk over to the ice cream place. Sit there long enough for their nails to dry and walk home.

My car, my rules or you don't ride. I've *yet* to have a parent tell me not to harness/booster their child, nice to know that might be coming! Aaargg!

tam

Laurelz

I would do what the mother asks. Only because I would want the same respect with MY kids. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

christineka

I drove a 9 year old today without a booster. (Even though I had several in my van.) He's huge and he had a hard enough time buckling himself. I can't imagine making him sit on a booster that his butt doesn't fit in. I also will allow my 12 yo to ride in other people's vehicles without a booster when it's just around town. I figure at those speeds, my dd fits the seat belt good enough for protection. I've seen some low speed accidents in which tiny, little 2-3 year olds in just seatbelts were perfectly fine.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you have a booster in the car, offer it to her, let it be her choice? Like, "Do you want this?" I don't even know. I'd just make them walk because I suck like that lol

April

I wouldn't worry about it. She's legal, the mom has made her wishes clear, and it's a very low risk situation.

:yeahthat:

I make 8 and 9 year olds ride in boosters in my van, even if they don't in their parents cars. I've never actually had a parent tell me NOT to put their kid in a booster, but I do get kids telling me "my mom says I don't need one", to which the response is "you do in my van. Buckle up!"

Honestly though, a 10 year old that size for that distance? I wouldn't sweat it at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

hedgefun

I would do what the mother asks. Only because I would want the same respect with MY kids. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

These are my thoughts exactly, especially given that you're driving less than a block at presumably at a very low speed. My opinion would probably different if you were driving a slightly longer distance or on a road rather than a parking lot. My opinion would probably different also if there were legality issues and/or if the child was younger.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yah, I would NOT transport any child illegally, and if she was younger/smaller I would tell the mother that I would not transport her with a booster. I know what the *right* answer is here, but I guess I'm turning into one of "those" techs because this is a risk I think I'm willing to assume.

henrietta

Less than a block? By the time you walk to/from the parking spaces, have you actually avoided any weather? I say just walk.

I agree.

But I also might feel comfortable w/driving her under the circumstances you described. I'd just make sure to put her in the best fitting spot in the car.

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC