How much time left?

Little Ps Mama

He's 3.5 and 39 inches tall. His torso is about 13 inches. He's always been right around the 50th percentile for height (and weight). I did my best to measure above his head and I -think- there are about 3 inches to the top of the shell.

vruart.jpg

Give me your best guesses, please. :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
None in the least. The headrest goes up another four inches or so above the shell. Piper fit by room above her head rear facing at seven. But even she, at the 1-3% for weight, had outgrown it by 40 pounds.

Wendy

Little Ps Mama

None in the least. The headrest goes up another four inches or so above the shell. Piper fit by room above her head rear facing at seven. But even she, at the 1-3% for weight, had outgrown it by 40 pounds.

Wendy

Awesome, I'm happy to hear he will probably outgrow it by weight before height at this point. Thanks again!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just be aware that the manufacturer has set a 40" max standing height for that seat. While I would probably opt to use it beyond that in my own vehicle, knowing what I do about crash physics, it's important that you be aware of that limitation and that it's a parental decision to use it beyond that standing height.

mlohry

So you can use the CA RF with the headrest raised? Just curious as I've been checking out that seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Carrie_R said:
Just be aware that the manufacturer has set a 40" max standing height for that seat. While I would probably opt to use it beyond that in my own vehicle, knowing what I do about crash physics, it's important that you be aware of that limitation and that it's a parental decision to use it beyond that standing height.

This is very important to point out. The manual says 40" or when the head is even with the top of the headrest. I suspect they threw in the headrest thing just to protect themselves from the possibility that a child's head might be taller than that with a standing height of less than 40"

Yes, many people make the decision to use the seat beyond 40", but there's a big difference between using it for a couple more inches and using it to the top of a fully-extended headrest, especially given the potential for extreme downward rotation in a conventionally-installed seat with a very tall/relatively heavy child.

If people want to make a parental decision to ignore the 40" rule, that's their prerogative. However, I feel it's very irresponsible for a tech to state it's absolutely fine, especially without giving any kind of background info or other caveats.

Little Ps Mama

This is very important to point out. The manual says 40" or when the head is even with the top of the headrest. I suspect they threw in the headrest thing just to protect themselves from the possibility that a child's head might be taller than that with a standing height of less than 40"

Yes, many people make the decision to use the seat beyond 40", but there's a big difference between using it for a couple more inches and using it to the top of a fully-extended headrest, especially given the potential for extreme downward rotation in a conventionally-installed seat with a very tall/relatively heavy child.

If people want to make a parental decision to ignore the 40" rule, that's their prerogative. However, I feel it's very irresponsible for a tech to state it's absolutely fine, especially without giving any kind of background info or other caveats.

Thank you for weighing in! I'm aware of the 40" height stipulation and it will play a factor in how long I will keep him RF in that seat. As of now, the plan is to turn him FF when he hits four. He still has an inch to grow before he's 40" tall and I'm hoping it will take him six months to ge there, but, if not, I'm comfortable with exceeding that limitation by a couple of inches to keep him RF until then.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC