Maxi Cosi Priori

all together ooky

Okay, finally saw this seat IRL at Target today. It looks nice and it seems well built (for a Dorel). And I do like that it has lock-offs and 35lb RF limit. But, OMG! What a PITA to change the harness height!!! It was on the lowest setting in the store so I go to change it to the highest (just to see if DD fits-doesn't too tall) and I couldn't do it (don't have much patience). It was no problem threading it on the lower slots, but the highest slot is hard to get your fingers up there (on the back) to grab the strap after you push it through the slot. Anybody else notice this?

ADS

Morganthe

So it threads only through the back?
That's definitely different than my ff-only Priori. I pull down the velcro opening on the seat cover, then, after loosening up the harness, just slide the straps one at a time upwards to the higher slot. They each move inwards out of the 'slot', then sideways along a slit to the next level. (like a maze) It takes about a minute to accomplish.

Someone had to just tinker with something that worked :p

(yeah, I know, it could be 'safer' in crash studies this way too, but who knows? :shrug-shoulders: )

Just checked, the Priori is listed online for $199. Rated to 40lbs and 43". 3pt & lap belt installation.
DD could still use it :p

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am going to go to Target later today and I will measure the slots, take some pictures, and play.

I saw it at Target last night, but I didn't have time to play with it.

Lara

It has 15 inch top slots, and 6-6.5 inch bottom slots. I've got pictures here :love:.

http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=bcus9421&tid=16280

I didn't try and change the harness height. I wish it adjusted in the front like the european version does, though!

Oh, and on the picture of the slots, the cover was sort of smushed up at the bottom...the actual slot was below the slot in the cover by quite a bit. But in the top 3 slots they are just about even with the cover.

all together ooky

It's really weird to change the harness height. You have to recline the seat all the way. Then there is a plastic cover you have to open on the back that covers the harness (like the black plastic thing on the back of MAs). BUT, you can't get to it from the back of the seat. You have to put your hand in the space where the seatbelt threads through (for FF). Then when you open the cover you have to pull the splitter plate out the side of the seat to undo the harness. It's a real PITA.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Okay, I am back from Target.

I couldn't get any photos because the saleswoman kept hanging around me and was giving me really weird looks. I felt uncomfortable taking photos.

Anyway...
  • I HATE the way you change the harness height. Holy cow! I can't imagine a person with large hands trying to do that. As all_together_ooky said, you have to recline the seat, open a little "door" on the back of the seat, pull the harness to the side, unthread it from the splitter plate, pull it through the harness slot on the front of the seat, move the harness to the next slot, push it through the slot, pull it down, and reattach to the splitter plate. Repeat for other side. That's annoying! Oh, the "door" only opens from one side too! Ugh!
  • The top slots are 15", which is essentially the same height as the Roundabout and Scenera
  • There is approximately 6" of shell over the top slot, which is the same amount as the Roundabout has. In contrast, the Scenera has about 8" of shell over the top slot.

I wouldn't get this seat.

If I needed a small seat, I would get the Roundabout and would get the Scenera to use for extended rear-facing. While the Scenera and Maxi-Cosi Priori have the same RF weight limit, the Scenera is taller, so I think it would allow children to RF longer.

I would still lean toward the Marathon, though.

all together ooky

Agreed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found changing the harness height a pain. Bad design.
My DD still fits height-wise in the Scenera, but is too tall for the Roundabout and the Priori.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Agreed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found changing the harness height a pain. Bad design.
My DD still fits height-wise in the Scenera, but is too tall for the Roundabout and the Priori.

That definitely sounds right, based on the measurements I took today. I can definitely see how a child would outgrow the Roundabout and MCP before the Scenera. :)

Suzibeck

I went to Target this afternoon. I saw the Priori and did not like it. I didn't have time to figure out the harness as the kids were getting cranky by the time I got to it. Youngest dd was even with the top slots on the floor, same as with the RA. She has nearly an inch of growing room in the Scenera. Dd is barely 35 lbs so it definately needs higher top slots!

I really like the new Triumph however! Dd has more growing room than in her MA! I hate Evenflo chest clips, but other wise I really like this seat. The harness did not bunch up in the buckle tounges like other Evenflos I've used.

We also really liked the Graco Airbooster. All 3 girls liked it even though oldest is clearly too tall and youngest clearly too short to use it.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I was there today too, looking for clearance car seats. I didn't care for it either.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
MC is a dorel company???

$200 for a carseat that only goes to 40 lbs, has 15" top slots? what am i missing?

It is supposed to be competitive with the Britax Roundabout.

There are definitely pros and cons of both the MCP and the RA.

If the two seats were competing, my opinion about the winner would be:
  • Ease of use (overall)= Roundabout
  • Ease of recline = draw
  • Ease of harness height change = Roundabout
  • Comfort for forward-facing sleeping children = Maxi-Cosi Priori
  • Padding = draw
  • Minimal harness twisting (based on in-store tests)= Roundabout
  • Lock-offs = Maxi-Cosi Priori

Of course my in-store tests were not "real-life" tests, so they may not be very accurate. :p

I still think the Scenera wins the prize when it comes to (40-pound weight limit seats') extended-rear-facing potential.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is MCP actually being made by dorel, or is it being imported by dorel? I'd gotten the sense it was being imported by them and not actually made by them. :confused: Although nobody said one way or the other, that was just the sense I got....

vamom

Yeah, got excited when I saw it, then didn't get it when I looked it over. I would rather see more higher weight, taller harness slot seats!

I really want a husky with an infinately adjustable harness. Ds is right at the second slot from the bottom, and when he sits the way he likes, one shoulder is above the slot, but if I move it up it is by his ears, he fusses, and he just does weird things, lol.

I was already to get the new recaro, but gave up that it will ever actually ship, and I really like the fact that the husky has no base.

arly1983

I still think the Scenera wins the prize when it comes to (40-pound weight limit seats') extended-rear-facing potential.

I just don't like the Scenera for one reason.:eek: No EPP or EPS foam.

If I were in the market for an extended RFing cheap seat, I would lean towards the uptown.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I just don't like the Scenera for one reason.:eek: No EPP or EPS foam.

If I were in the market for an extended RFing cheap seat, I would lean towards the uptown.

Quite true! I couldn't compare the Uptown because I was at Target and they don't have it. :(

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I saw the Cosi Priori at Target today. If I hadn't known about Dorel's involvement with the seat, I probably would have been able to guess because the crotch buckle looks exactly like the buckle used on the Scenera and Apex. I didn't have much of a chance to play with the display model at all because DD2 was having a "Houdini" moment and trying to escape from the shopping cart seatbelt. She would have revolted completely if I had attempted to try her out in the carseat. :eek: Maybe during one of my rare solo shopping trips, I'll get to check it out further. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC