Question 7.5 year old HB booster or no back?

mlohry

So my middle child who is 7.5 is outgrowing the HB TB. His head is inching very close to the top of the highest setting. I am disappointed as this seat fit my oldest until he was a little over 8. I am more comfortable using a HB until 8. Problem is, my DS sits in the 3rd row of our Ody and to keep the peace, he has to stay back there. My oldest is a huge help to the youngest and the middle child is the exact opposite. Anyway, he really wants a new seat as the HB TB was a hand me down, and he's been in it since about 6 when he outgrew the GN harnessed.

This is my dilemma, I love the Amp on him, it's what my oldest uses, fits both boys perfectly. I've even posted pictures and all agreed. No back obviously on the Amp. I would like a back for him for a bit longer AND I am going to have to buy 2 HB boosters this Summer as we need them for our classic car. I don't know what to do, pretty much every booster that has any height to it does not work in the 3rd row of the Ody (2005) and none are a great fit on this child. I've tried them all in the past. They almost all have issues with the seat belt getting caught up and this child has no patience for that. The only seat I found that worked back there was the FR 85, but I'm not sure I can justify that lug! I considered it thinking I could hand it down to my DD, but she is a peanut and wouldn't ever NEED it. So I was thinking, do I buy a HB with height, to use with a back in our classic car and take the back off of it in our van to avoid the issues, OR do I get him an Amp for the van, I know it works back there then a HB booster anyway for the classic car. OR is there someone that has luck with a booster with height in the 3rd row of an Ody. The only one I didn't try back there was a Recaro, but I want to say that has issues with the tipping back there. I even heard the new Diono one had major issues back there :( what to do, what to do!

ADS

babyherder

Does a frontier work in your classic car? Would you use the height in that car? If so, I would get a Frontier now and use it in your van until you need it for the classic car and then put kiddo in an amp.

kater-tot82

I wouldn't have a problem with a 7.5yo in a backless full time. So I would probably go with the Amp unless you found a HB booster that works in your classic car and your van. I personally wouldn't get a Frontier just to use it in booster mode for a 7.5 year old, but that's just me.

kam1011

There are other HB boosters that are taller than the TB that don't cost $200+! Monterey, Parkway, even Vivo is taller... However, I would comfortably use the backless. But I'm not a tech :p

mlohry

kam1011 said:
There are other HB boosters that are taller than the TB that don't cost $200+! Monterey, Parkway, even Vivo is taller... However, I would comfortably use the backless. But I'm not a tech :p

Unfortunately, I've tried all of those and for me they didn't seem to work back there in the 3rd, it was always a seat belt issue. I am going to try to head out this weekend and try a few, we'll see.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC