10 month old forward facing???

Byron

I am flying transatlantic with a 10 month old a 2yr old and plan to use our Radians. I need them at the other end due to space restrictions in the car.

However I have read that you can not fit it FR, and has to be FF. Can I do this with a 10 month old?

I also read that when kids are FF they tend to have a head slump as the seats are upright even when forward facing. So now I am concerned that if I put my either of my DS FF they will slump when they sleap. As the flight is overnight, I am sure they will sleap.

Any suggestions??

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The 2 year old should be ok FF if you use the recline setting on the Radian. You can bring a small pillow along if your Radian didn't come with the head/body support and doesn't have headwings, to give him somewhere to rest his head to the side comfortably.

The 10 month old should not under any circumstances. If you had a hard stop on the runway, it could be like him FF in a crash, with similar consequences.

Is it possible there is an infant bucket he still fits in (the OnBoard 35 perhaps, or a SnugRide 35? Both have tall shells and can be used to 35 lbs. without the base.) If so, if you can buy one (or borrow from a trusted friend or family member), I'd take that instead, without the base. A baseless infant seat takes up no more room side-to-side than a Radian (in some dimensions, less) and would allow your baby to be both safe and comfortable on the plane and in the car.

Another option is the Combi Coccoro, though a bit more expensive, it's a great little travel seat and also very narrow.

Byron

THanks for the response. I have a bucket at present, but I don't think it will fit in the car we are using the other side. I will double check again.

The other seat you mentioned, the combi coccoro, I have not seen that before. is it avalable in Canada?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, it's not. Sorry, didn't know you are in Canada. :)

Why would a bucket not fit if a Radian would, out of curiosity? Buckets take up less rear-facing room than the extremely tall Radian, especially if they are used with the handle up and no base. :)

Byron

I was counting on the radian being narrow and fitting between the two seats to allow them far enoigh back o the driver and passinger (disabled)can get in still. Also need to have a third passinger in the rear.

I suppose that the bucket may fit. I just dont want to get there and find that I need to buy a new seat which I will not be able to use again in Canada.

It will be a hire car OR a Yaris, so I can't be 100% sure of fit. I am trying to cover all bases.

I do need to get a "spare" combination seat, for RF in a small car. If anyone has one that they can recomend that is available in Canada, maybe I could get that and use that one.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the Radian fits in the center, then you can just put the other seat outboard. :) No issues! Buckets without bases are MUCH MUCH smaller side to side than almost any convertible seat. Including the top of the Radian (it gets wider at the top- most buckets, not counting their bases, are narrower than that.)

You may need an angle adjuster to rear-face a Radian in a Yaris.

Do you mean a convertible seat? Combination seats turn into a booster, but do not rear-face.

The Scenera is often recommended as a spare/travel seat, and is available in Canada, however it is not as narrow as a baseless infant bucket (really, pretty much nothing is, other than a Coccoro, which you don't have up there, the Radian does come close.)

If you have a Radian, I suggest you sit it next to a baseless infant bucket and see for yourself what I'm talking about- they should be about the same size near the middle, with the Radian possibly wider at its widest point near the top.

Byron

Thanks for all the help and info. I am sorry I was not very clear. It is not the width of the bucket, but the length. In our Jetta, we can't get the seats back and the Yaris is smaller.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Radian is much taller than any bucket on the market (and most convertibles.)

Do you keep the handle up? What bucket do you have? And have you tried without the base? Without the base does take up less room in both directions.

ARon

CPS Technician
Subbing. I have a yaris (2010 hatchback), a radian, a coccoro, and a key fit (small bucket, may not work for you). Just wanted to let you know I might be able to help you figure out the yaris end of your trip. I have not been able to get anything RF in the center, but if you have 2 radians, you *should* be able to sit in between. Definitely get an angle adjuster (or 2, if you take both radians). The coccoro and baseless key fit both take up little front-to-back room.

ETA: sorry, I forgot you can't use a coccoro. Ignore that part.

Byron

Thanks ARon,

I am getting so confused....

Question, how safe is a bucket without the base. Does anyone know if this is legal in the UK?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's as safe as anything else. It's been crash tested and approved. :)

No Canadian seats are legal in the UK. ;) You're not going to have a problem though, and using baseless infant seats is not uncommon there from what I've heard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC