1936 car seat!

ADS

MomToEliEm

Very interesting product. Definately something great for a time when seatbelts weren't even common in cars. I think that would be a great product to include in an antique car (not for use though, just show).

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I don't think it's a safety device - just a 'booster' to boost kids up so they can see. I think the straps are just to strap it to the car, not strap the child into the car. Looks like it would make it more likely that they would be thrown through a window in a crash, though. :(

Suzibeck

Interesting...

I was born in 1966 and I remember sitting in this seat that hooked over the seat, kind of like a giant over the door hook only it was a double over the seatback hook. The giant hook was attached to a metal frame with a cloth seat, like an old fashioned stroller seat. No seatbelts. But mom could put me in there and I'd stay put rather than climb all over the car. We didn't have a car with functioning seatbelts until I was in 5th grade.

teekadog

Interesting...

I was born in 1966 and I remember sitting in this seat that hooked over the seat, kind of like a giant over the door hook only it was a double over the seatback hook. The giant hook was attached to a metal frame with a cloth seat, like an old fashioned stroller seat. No seatbelts. But mom could put me in there and I'd stay put rather than climb all over the car. We didn't have a car with functioning seatbelts until I was in 5th grade.

My mom, the oldest in her family, born in 1948, said her family had something like this for her youngest brother and sister, born in 1958 and 1959. My g-mom apparently loved it and would loved to have had something like it for her 4 older children, but she said there wasn't anything before it came out. I always took her word for it, as car seat history. I'll have to share this link with her.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
Interesting...

My DH was born in '67 and my MIL has described the exact same thing. I don't know if she actually owned one - probably just let her 4 kids run wild in the car - but she said that's what was available then.

My grandmother used to talk about how my uncle rode in a wicker laundry basket on the ledge behind the backseat as an infant :eek:. I think he was born in the mid-50's.

trailrunnermom

I was born in 1966 and I remember sitting in this seat that hooked over the seat, kind of like a giant over the door hook only it was a double over the seatback hook. The giant hook was attached to a metal frame with a cloth seat, like an old fashioned stroller seat.

I had the same "car seat" in the early 60's! My other safety devices were: (1) Mom's arm being thrown across me when she had to brake quickly; and (2) Standing up in the back in the middle and hanging over the front seatback. :) One of my dad's cars (that he bought from a friend for about $25) had giant holes in the rear floorboard; it was always fun to watch the road go by! :p

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
These are both from previous threads...

This may be the one from the 50s/60s:

img13med.gif

And here's one that may be even earlier than the OP's ad:

12041.bmp

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Maria's picture looks MUCH more like a picture from the 20s or 30s.
12041.bmp

The clothing looks much more like those of the time period.

momof2kiddos

I had the same "car seat" in the early 60's! My other safety devices were: (1) Mom's arm being thrown across me when she had to brake quickly; and (2) Standing up in the back in the middle and hanging over the front seatback. :) One of my dad's cars (that he bought from a friend for about $25) had giant holes in the rear floorboard; it was always fun to watch the road go by! :p

OMG,lol....I would be terrifed to fall through that hole...:p

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Maria's picture looks MUCH more like a picture from the 20s or 30s....
The clothing looks much more like those of the time period.

I looked at the ad from the OP and it's definitely from a 1936 magazine, though. I was thinking about the clothing, also, and - wasn't that about the same time as the original Little Rascals? Didn't that little girl wear short little dresses like in the OP's ad...? :scratcheshead:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I looked at the ad from the OP and it's definitely from a 1936 magazine, though. I was thinking about the clothing, also, and - wasn't that about the same time as the original Little Rascals? Didn't that little girl wear short little dresses like in the OP's ad...? :scratcheshead:

You are right! I had forgotten about that! :eek:

bethng

I was born in 1971 and my mom had a car bed for me. She just placed it in the back seat (or maybe the front!) and layed me in it. I probably rolled all over when she had a sudden stop or start lol My brother born in 74 did have a car seat though. I reamember it was black vinyl and had a bar that went over his head like an OHS seat. Not sure how he was actually restrained though. Or if it was even belted into the car. But it kept my very ADHD brother from climbing all over the car and my mom while she was driving. And we NEVER wore seatbelts until I was about 14. :eek:

EzzieMom

I remember climbing all over in the back seat when I was growing up, never wore a seat belt...our seats were covered in duct tape it was so old. I don't know if there was seat belts or not. I also don't remember if we had car seats or not (I was born in '81..I'm sure there was something around). I remember my mom being pulled over by a cop PREGNANT with my brother and NOT wearing her seat belt!!
Do you all remember the movie "Look who's talking?" Remember when John Travolta put the baby in the metal car seat, FFing in the front seat of his cab? And he just took the seat belt and put it across the whole car seat and baby?? :eek: I thought nothing of it before and now I watch it amazed that it was ever legal.
p.s. my day care provider (the lady who watched me when I was growing up) said she remembered her mom bringing home her baby brother, after he was born, from the hospital in her arms. She sat in the passanger seat and just held him in her arms!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC