10yo in the front

amelia222

Would you do it?

Here's the situation. Alice's best friend is 10, almost 11, 5'4" and 120lbs. She is almost too tall to sit in the backseat of my car with proper head restraint so I usually let her ride in the front. I know at her age the back is technically safer, but since she has better head protection in the front.....

My car has no airbags and none of the headrests are adjustable.

Should I stop worrying?

ADS

Keeanh

I wouldn't worry about it since there are no airbags. But since she isn't your daughter, maybe the best thing would be to ask her parents where they prefer her to sit.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I also would have no issue with it because there are no airbags. The back is still generally safer, but the big "age 13" number has to do with the airbags.

jeminijad

5'4" and 120?

If mom is okay with it, I would be too. I'm actually much more concerned about heads snapping back w/o headrests than others here seem to be.

amelia222

I wouldn't worry about it since there are no airbags. But since she isn't your daughter, maybe the best thing would be to ask her parents where they prefer her to sit.

Mom lets the 5yo ride without a booster and the 8mo is in an outgrown infant seat so....yeah :(

April

I'm 5'4" and 128lbs. Because of the headrest issue in the back and no airbags in the front, I wouldn't worry about her being in the front seat much. Has she started puberty?
Posted via Mobile Device

April

For sure, the girl could easily pass for 14 or older.
Then I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it. I know they say 12 and under in the back, but honestly, kids all grow and develop at different rates. There is a big difference between a pubescent 5'4" 120lb 10 year old and say, my not even close to puberty 4'9" 67lb 10 year old DD. I wouldn't put this child in the front just for the hell of it, but if the head support in the back is a concern, then yeah, no problem. :twocents:
Posted via Mobile Device

agave

I'd put her in the front too. I still have neck problems from being rear ended without head support 22 years ago.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC