Adult lack of 5-step and vehicle accessories?

thekatie

I just read the poll asking when parents will let their children ride without boosters and it reminded me that I have been wondering something lately.

I drive an '09 RX350. My nearly 1 year old is rear-facing behind the passenger seat and my 8 year old (9 in April) is normally in a booster behind the driver. If we have 5 people in the car, however, I often sit behind the driver seat & we move my oldest and his booster to the middle. I found out the first time that I do NOT 5-step in that seat. Admittedly, I'm only 5'2", but my knees only just bend properly on the seat. I'm fine with that, but the shoulder belt cuts high on my neck, almost touching my chin. The outboard seats have a little thing (I have no idea what they are called), an elastic cord with a clip-type thing that you can thread the seatbelt through, and it adjusts the seatbelt so that it lays against my shoulder.

So, my questions about all this:

1) Is this cord thing actually safe? Logically I'm thinking a) they wouldn't put it in if it wasn't, but I know that's not -always- the case and b) it still has to be way better than being choked before even being in an accident. But I could be so wrong!
2) My son is never going to be really tall. Even after puberty, even when HE'S driving, he's not likely to be tall. IF I'm still driving this car and he was old enough and big enough in every way to sit without a booster except for the shoulder belt, would that be safe for HIM? (obviously I'm talking many years from now, like his teen years)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, it's safe. They tested it and all, and it's just a pre-crash positioner. There's an aftermarket belt positioner I'm also ok with, for cars that don't have that: the Autosafe Seat Belt Adjuster. The belt crossing the shoulder not the neck is not because it's super unsafe (in most crashes) to have it too close to the neck, but because people will get irritated and tuck the belt under the arm or behind the back, which could be deadly.

Your son, being male, will likely be taller than you. Even if he's not, though, there are accomodations both you and he could use.

Are you at least 10" from your airbag (usually in the steering wheel column area for the driver?) If you are not, you may want to look into getting fitted for pedal extenders so you can drive at a safe distance from your airbag.

Brianna

Yes, it's safe to use. It's essentially the same as the strap that comes with a backless booster. Once he's out of a booster, usually around 10-12, then he can use it too.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

thekatie

Thanks! His daddy isn't very tall either (under 6'), so most likely he still won't be TALL, but he's already almost as tall as I am.

I just asked my husband if he thinks I'm 10 inches away from the airbag, because I have no sense of distance, and he said my face most certainly is, probably more, but he doubts my chest is. Which would I use to measure distance?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The closest part of your body, which for women is usually the chest unless pregnant, should be at least ten inches away.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC