Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    ReneeB

Britax Boulevard rear facing recline ?

I am about to buy a Britax Boulevard for my 9 month old who weighs 17 pounds. She will stay rear facing for as long as possible. My question is when I install it in my car with the seat in full recline I have to pull the front seats all the way forward for it to have enough room, and even then its still touching my front seats. If I lift relax the recline a little bit its fine. The salesperson at Buy Buy Baby said for RF it has to be in full recline. My daughter is 9 months old and can sit and nap perfectly fine when car seat is upright or at a bit of a recline. (I havent done this in a moving vehicle so no one freak out about my daughters safety yet...lol). I called Britax and they told me it has to be in full recline also. Then I read online where others say it can be between 30-45 degrees...any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
    Renee

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Britax Boulevard rear facing recline ?

The SEAT has to be in full mechanical recline, yes. (There are two modes, upright and reclined).

However, once the SEAT is in reclined mode, it's possible to install it more upright. You can install as upright as 30 degrees (as long as you have the seat in recline mode), and it's actually safer and preferable to be more upright once the child has good neck control.

Also, unless your vehicle manual specifically forbids it, it is okay for the front vehicle seat to touch the top of the carseat. This is called bracing.

Let us know what kind of car you have, and we should be able to give you some tips which will allow you to get a more upright install, while the seat is still in recline mode.

Also, you can see in my siggy picture below a Marathon rearfacing in a honda civic. The carseat is in recline mode, but the install is more upright than a 45 degree angle.

ReneeB

Thanks for the replies so far. I drive a 2002 Nissan Maxima GLE. I have no issue with the carseat touching the back of the front seats in the car, but since I have to put the seats so close to the steering wheel it is really uncomfortable to me, and will be worse for my DH who is 6" taller than me. I'm just concerned now that if we do end up in a collision either me or my DH will be killed by the airbag, since we are sitting so close to it. (Although I would prefer this scenario to one where my daughter is hurt). Also, as embarrassing as this is, I am a bigger woman and with the drivers seat pulled up so far my stomach is just about touching the bottom of the steering wheel and the seatbelt is at its max with me. (My DH wont have this problem).

Thanks,
    Renee

CPS Advocate

You don't need to push your vehicle seats up. It's ok for the Boulevard to brace

ReneeB
    I have to have the seats pulled forward to even SIT the carseat on the backseat. I guess that is where the problem lies.

Renee

CPS Advocate

Once you have the seat angled up to 30 degrees I don't think you'll have a problem.

I can install my Marathon rearfacing behind the driver and still have the driver's seat all the way back on the seat track. Granted, the driver's seat cannot be reclined very much, but the seat can still be all the way back.

You should have no problem doing the same in your car with a little practice.

When installing the boulevard, pull the carseat about an inch away from the vehicle seat bite, then put lots of pressure on the front of the carseat while tightening it.

You should be able to be far enough from the airbag for it not to be a hazard.

I am 4' 10", so I need to have a seat closer to the steering wheel. I t-boned a pick up truck at about 60ish MPH in my 2001 Honda Civic. The airbag did not kill me. Though, it did give me some pretty bad burns on my hands/wrists. But, the seat position does not have any effect on that.

My son was 23 months at the time and rearfacing in a Roundabout and was completely unharmed.

Have you considered putting the Boulevard in the center? Then the top of the carseat would rest between the two front seats.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Conversely, if you're having a lot of problems getting the Boulevard in, have you thought of a different seat? There are others that will rear face longer, forward facing longer, and cost less. And may fit better.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Wendy,
    I know this is an old thread, but I keep seeing posts where people say the same thing regarding looking at seats other than the boulevard because others last longer. Can you give some recommendations? I need one for a VW Jetta, so space is an issue. For that reason I'd like to find one that can be braced against the front seats.