Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Need New Seat After Turning Forward?

DD2 is almost 3 and we just turned her seat around. Are we better off keeping her FFing in her old seat (Complete Air) or should we go ahead and get her a dedicated forward facing seat (most likely Frontier)? Which is the safer option for facing forward?

Thank you!
    -Heather.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

From a safety perspective it really doesn't matter. A forward facing harnessed seat is a forward facing harnessed seat. They all pass the exact same tests.

From a practicality/financial/environmental perspective, just use the seat you already own unless you need to pass it down.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

4. Thank You from:

Re: Need New Seat After Turning Forward?

I found the Complete Air to be a really nice forward-facing seat. In fact, I never did use it rear-facing because my 5yo laid claim to it. It's good for sleeping in because the headwings make great pillows .
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

I also really like the Complete Air ff And good for you mama for keeping your little one rf for so long
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

Carseat Crazy
    And for a 3yo I think a CA fits great FF. thats what my son used and he liked it. you may be able to use it to booster age depending on the child and expiration date of the seat.

CPS Fanatic

I agree with everyone else that both are safe options.

Do you have a younger child to pass the seat down to? If you have a younger child that needs a seat to stay rear-facing longer, then it would make sense to pass along the Complete Air and buy a forward-facing only seat.

Melanie

Thanks, everyone! She's my youngest so we don't have to worry about passing down the seat, I just didn't know if there was any advantage to switching to the Frontier (other than the cup holder, which I'm sure she'll start asking about eventually). Looks like I'll be saving a couple hundred and keeping her in the Complete Air for a while longer! Thanks again!!

Ya, the Frontier does have cupholders but we really liked the CA anyway. Here is my dd1 when she was 7y/o and at the top slots of the CA. She found the CA comfortable and the wings provided great support when sleeping
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt

Quote Originally Posted by firemomof3 View Post
    Ya, the Frontier does have cupholders but we really liked the CA anyway. Here is my dd1 when she was 7y/o and at the top slots of the CA. She found the CA comfortable and the wings provided great support when sleeping
    Do you remember how much she weighed at the time?
    Lauren, mommy to:
    Philip 9/4/2008, Affix w/ SS
    Andrew 8/17/2010, harnessed Nauti
    Lydia 1/14/2013, ERF MR65
    Sophia 3/18/15, SR30

Some Complete Air models come with a cup holder, which can only be used forward facing. If you call Safety 1st, I'm sure they can give you info on how to get one. I'm short on time, or I'd search their website for you.
    Anna

Quote Originally Posted by honeydew View Post
    Some Complete Air models come with a cup holder, which can only be used forward facing. If you call Safety 1st, I'm sure they can give you info on how to get one. I'm short on time, or I'd search their website for you.
    If I look hard enough in my garage I am sure I have one you could have! (a cup holder that is)
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Little Ps Mama View Post
    Do you remember how much she weighed at the time?
    She was about 50lbs.
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt

I think I have a spare CA cup holder... They shouldn't be too hard to find.

I also really like the CA for FF.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65