Back again for more seat changes :)

mom1mg

Hello,

It's been a LONG time (2010) since I was here but we are adding to the family and I need help finding out what is new, better then before, and the safest for transporting everyone.

Soon to be 5 kids riding in a GMC Yukon XL without latch and CRAZY long belt stalks!!! Third row has ONE tether in the middle. Second row has three tethers. Second row has RF tethers. A Radian doesn't work - we sold ours because of the poor fit with the belt stalks.

Stats are-
DS 9 - In a LBB
He "could" stop using the booster if he stays in the third row.

DS 8- In a HBB

DS 2.5 - FF in a truefit
This seat does NOT fit RF in my car - the stalks are WAY too long and get caught in the lock-offs.

DD 11 months - RF in a newer 3 in 1 with base
(Yep I know they aren't the best seats but it puzzled ok, fit my belt stalks and was in budget.)

Newbie to arrive this spring
She should be pretty small.
All my kids have been pretty little - they average around 7 pounds and 19 inches.
(My smallest was 6 pounds 19 inches, biggest was 7 pounds 11 ounces and 21 inches and he was a GIANT compared to everyone else.)

I have a spare generations seat which is not expired and has been ours since new.

So I need a seat suggestion for the newb. I am not a fan of bucket seats and only use one for 6 weeks MAX - but will consider going longer if it fits well. Keeping in mind those totally crazy long belt stalks - ie three twists does almost NOTHING to them (!). Also I need to know if I can legally instal a second tether hook to the third row. (I don't care if I have to pay for it - just want to know if it can be done.)

My ideal would be -
Third row - 9 yo (HBB) outboard and 2 yo (TF) outboard

Second row - Outboard newborn in (?), middle infant rf (3in1), outboard 8 yo in HBB

Thanks for your help! :)

ADS

mom1mg

Oops -
2002 Yukon. It is the XL Denali model if that makes any difference.
We must have an early year model - latch was evidentally in the later 2002's but not ours.

zactayaus

I have a 2000 Suburban (twin to your truck) and an RN fits beautifully in the middle of the second row RF with an angle adjuster even with those crazy long belt stalks (see my siggy pic), but you can't use the AA with a newb so I guess that doesn't help.:eek:

mom1mg

I have a 2000 Suburban (twin to your truck) and an RN fits beautifully in the middle of the second row RF with an angle adjuster even with those crazy long belt stalks (see my siggy pic), but you can't use the AA with a newb so I guess that doesn't help.:eek:

Yep I gave up on it a few months before angle adjusters came out.
We actually almost bought a Suburban instead (it wasn't in as good of shape) and the RN fit just fine - actually excellent - but for some reason it just wouldn't play nice when we ended up buying the GMC. I think I gave it about 3 months and then gave up.

Nimommyof2

What about the MR it sits up high so you should have lots of room for the buckle possibly and they look like they would be nice for a newborn(I have no idea though.

mam521

Would Radian with AA be an option for the toddler in the 3 in 1? That may open up the doors for a few other possibilities...and MR does fit newborns extremely well, but I dunno if it would play nice with the 3 in 1...does the base come off the 3 in 1?

My other concern is will the 8yo be able to buckle alongside the bigger seats...

mom1mg

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep em coming!

Our vehicle seat is HUGE. I don't have to puzzle and I have no issues with DS8 reaching the buckle.

I've had the truefit, beside the 3 in 1 (with base - ours is the newer one where the base has to stay on), beside a booster with no issues and no puzzling needed many times.

So far my plan is an as yet unknown seat for the baby and everyone else stays in the seats they are in.

I just need to know if another tether can be put into the back of a GMC Yukon XL. Can someone please tell me if there is another point back there?

V

VanIsleMommy

the myride might work with your buckles, or some of the evenflo seats (I haven't been car seat shopping for a convertible in a while so I'm not up on the newest ones since 2012).

I will say I'm not entirely impressed with how the myride fits my newborn (9 pounds) so I'm not sure how it would fit a teeny one, but then again mine is a 2010 and the new ones might fit little babies better.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If you put the 2.5 year old RF you could put him (her?) in the 3rd row. It does not appear to me that you can get another TA installed in the 3rd row. Both the bench seat option and the 50/50 option only give one TA -- but, if you were able to get a 50/50 seat you can use it from the passenger side (it allows use by either the centre or the passenger side, not both at the same time), allowing you to keep the 2.5 year old FF and tethered on the passenger side. Would that help?

mom1mg

Thanks for all the help!

So the plan is--
3rd row
DS9 and DS2 both outboard
(I didn't know I could use the tether hook for either spot so that works fine!)

2nd row
DS8, DD1 and DD newborn
We will install two RF seats on the bench that doesn't flip up and the booster on the one that flips so we can tuck it out of the way to load the back

Eventually when everyone is FF the girls can stay in the second row on the non-moving seat and and DS can still FF with tether in the 3rd.

FYI - for those who suggested flipping DS back to RF. Although the nervous mom part of me wants to do so - I am ok with him being FF. (Well most days) We Rf'd to two years old and his seat just doesn't install in our car RF. He is 31months old and his motor skills are VERY advanced so from my limited understanding that is a good thing in deciding when to go FF. I "could" afford a new seat but it isn't really in the budget to be buying two (one for the newborn and one for him and again his seat can't be passed down to a Rfer) I guess it is just one of those mom balancing act things. DD on the other hand will likely be RF for a LONG time - she has low tone and a seat that actually fits our car.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for all the help!

So the plan is--
3rd row
DS9 and DS2 both outboard
(I didn't know I could use the tether hook for either spot so that works fine!)

2nd row
DS8, DD1 and DD newborn
We will install two RF seats on the bench that doesn't flip up and the booster on the one that flips so we can tuck it out of the way to load the back

Eventually when everyone is FF the girls can stay in the second row on the non-moving seat and and DS can still FF with tether in the 3rd.

FYI - for those who suggested flipping DS back to RF. Although the nervous mom part of me wants to do so - I am ok with him being FF. (Well most days) We Rf'd to two years old and his seat just doesn't install in our car RF. He is 31months old and his motor skills are VERY advanced so from my limited understanding that is a good thing in deciding when to go FF. I "could" afford a new seat but it isn't really in the budget to be buying two (one for the newborn and one for him and again his seat can't be passed down to a Rfer) I guess it is just one of those mom balancing act things. DD on the other hand will likely be RF for a LONG time - she has low tone and a seat that actually fits our car.

So - just to confirm - your 3rd row is a 50/50 split seat, right? Because the tether option for use by the centre or the passenger side is only on that seat. If you have the solid bench seat, you can't do that. Do you have your vehicle manual? Check in there and see what it says.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC