The expired Britax video

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The following video is shared here often as why not to use an expired seat. It's supposed to be an example of a harness ripping through the shell of an expired Britax seat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0"]Car seat expiration - YouTube[/ame]

It was in another thread today and I have questions about it so figured I'd start a new thread. It's been said that this is a 10 year old Britax that the harness straps rip out of on the crash test. And it's implied that the purpose of the test was to test how the seat would perform being expired.

Now, the YouTube link doesn't say anything about the crash test. There is no audio in the video either. So where is the information about what crash test was being performed here, what seat it is, who did the crash test, etc. etc.?

In another thread I mentioned that I didn't think it was a U.S. seat. The TV station logo appears to be from the UK. In that same thread, another poster said she though this seat might be a 4 point harness which was available in Europe in that time frame. And that maybe the harness wasn't breaking in the video, but that the dummy slips like that due to it being a 4 point harness.

The video goes so fast, that it's really hard to tell what's happening without a written or audio description by the people who did the crash test, as to what the purpose was and what the pre-conditions were. I do see something flap near the top of the seat, but is that the harness?

Anyway, please discuss! And if anyone has a link to actual information about this video, I would love to read more about what's going on in this test.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm also curious for more info.

I'm all for not using seats beyond the period designated by the manufacturer, but I don't know what that video tells us, and without more info, it feels like fear-mongering.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ah yes, I should have said that I also agree to follow the manufacturer's guidelines of when to stop using a seat. I'm just trying to figure out if this video is an example we want to be using to promote those guidelines.

christineka

I've questioned this video ever since Transport Canada tested non-expired britax seats, which ripped out of the shell in a similar manner. We don't even know what the speed of this test was.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I've questioned this video ever since Transport Canada tested non-expired britax seats, which ripped out of the shell in a similar manner. We don't even know what the speed of this test was.

And I thought the same, except since I noticed the seat was from the UK and another poster commented it may be a 4 point harness, IS the harness ripping out in a similar manner? Is it even ripping out? Can anyone say definitely that it is? If there is documentation telling me exactly what the purpose of this test was and exactly what the result was, then I'm all for using it to demonstrate whatever the results show.

Right now it just seems like a game of telephone to me. Someone said this is what happened and it's being passed around as that's what happened. It may be correct, or it may be completely distorted. I just want the facts! ;)

christineka

I watched it more carefully a few times and I'm now thinking same as you. The seat is obviously not a US seat. It does look like the dummy is just submarining and that the straps don't rip out. Now I really don't like this video!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Missed the other thread?

At any rate, familiar w/ the TC testing, and noticed a few things, you can *see* the back of the seat falling apart and the cover comes off w/ the Honda test.

The video on question just doesn't look the same, though it is obvious that it's a *large* dummy as was the TC test and that the seat doesn't appear to hold the child strapped in the seat the way you'd *think* would be safer...

tam

We're not talking about the Transport Canada tests. We're talking about a video used to show people that the plastic degrades in expired seats. Yes, some of us thought that *because* the Marathon straps ripped out of the shell in TC tests that it may also be what's happening in the video; it is something I always wondered. But, it may not be related to this video at all, if the harness isn't actually ripping out of this shell.

What we're talking about here is finding out the original intent and specs of the crash test in the video posted in *this* thread. So, we know if it can be used to aid in the promotion of not using expired seats.

And I have no idea which thread you're referring to that you think I might have missed.

tam_shops

Huh, I don't think you missed a thread. I was saying *I* missed the other thread *you* were talking about b/c you said, "It was in another thread today and I have questions about it so figured I'd start a new thread", but had no link.

Also caught that you were comparing the utube video to the TC one. I was adding to that saying, that I agreed the way the dummy on the TC video smashed forward through the seat, looked *very* different than the dummy in the utube video falling down. As did the break down of the seat in the TC test, no visible break down of the seat in the utube one.

The utube one reminds me more of a video i saw once when the crotch strap failed. Evenflo perhaps?? Than the TC one where the plastic tears out of the back of the seat, which I'd expect w/ an expired seat.

Also, if you look closely, you can see the V style of the straps in the utube video, like w/ a seat w/ no chest clip. And, you didn't see any plastic for a chest clip flying.

Though, all that being said, this utube video is a few years old (at least) and the seat was 10yr old (if any of that is true), so the straps/crotch strap 3-4-5pt harness, who knows here/Europe, anything is possible...

Does anyone recognize the tv station?

I've always found something a little *funny* about that video...

tam

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well sorry tam! I completely misunderstood you apparently!

I hadn't linked to the other thread, just because the video has been mentioned in several threads over the past couple months when referring to expired seats and I wasn't sure it would provide any value to this conversation. I can dig a few up for you though if you're interested.

And I also now understand your point about the TC video. I'm not sure why I read your post so differently than you intended.

If my searching turned up correct info, GMTV appears to have been a UK breakfast network that is now called ITV.

thepote

I just downloaded the video, converted it to Quick Time and put the slow motion part on frame-by-frame. The pelvis is waaaay out and the shoulder straps are clearly still on. The next frame the dummy is sliding down and out.

Looks like submarining. I will try to upload some screen shots.

I don't know if there are copyright issues with what I'm doing, but I was curious and I have the software :)

tam_shops

Techno, not a problem, I'm easy to misunderstand, I don't get enough sleep and what I am trying to say can go in 3 different directions! Even when I'm trying to agree with someone! LOL

Not to worry about the other thread, just thought I might have missed something...

Yep, this is a common video, wish someone would do a better/newer one...

tam

thepote

If anyone wants to be a super slueth, maybe compare the facility background with other crash testing videos from the UK to figure out the facility... and a possible contact.

thepote

Here's one screenshot. Sorry, DD is not letting me do anything tonight :(

britax10yr1.jpg

tam_shops

How do you submarine in a 5-4 or even 3 pt harness with out it coming unbuckled?

With the old 3pt harness, didn't the kids come flying out the TOP of the seat, not the bottom. So long as there is a *thing* between the two legs, with out it becoming undone, the only option to get out is to go UP. You know, kids that can't unbuckle themselves that get tired of waiting while you unload groceries, unbuckle the chest clip and then go UP out of the seat.

tam

thepote

Is it possible the crotch buckle ripped from the shell?

Yeah, totally. There are like three blurry frames where the submarining actually happens. Just a total lack of information.

If it were submarining, the arms would fly up as the body goes under the lap part, no? These dummy's arms look glued to its body at the elbow when I flip back and forth through the money shots.

christineka

I thought a 4 pt harness was where the harness comes above the shoulders, then buckles together at the bottom of the harness, but not at the crotch. The 4 points would be the 2 shoulders and the 2 hips.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I thought a 4 pt harness was where the harness comes above the shoulders, then buckles together at the bottom of the harness, but not at the crotch. The 4 points would be the 2 shoulders and the 2 hips.

That's what I thought too. Here's a pic from another thread http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2174144&postcount=35 I think that thread is actually the one where another poster said she didn't think the harness ripped out in the video if anyone wants to read about that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC