Question Trying to pick car for three car seats - CX9, MDX, pilot

U

Unregistered

I am considering buying a new 2011 Mazda CX9. Right now, we have two car seats, a FF Boulevard for our almost three year old and a Chaperone for our five-month old. We are foster/adoptive parents, and we were just told to expect a new baby in Aug/Sept from our children's biological mother. So, that means we will be in need of three car seats in the new car.

Here are some questions I would love to have answers to: 1. On the CX9, I know there are no official tether points for the third row, but there are two hidden bolt holes that are part of the steel/metal frame for the back liftgate. You lift a little piece of plastic to get to them. I only noticed them because they are in the exact same location/layout as the Acura MDX rear seat tethers. Are these potentially approved tethers in Europe or somewhere else as I have read? Or could they be used as thether attachments since they would fit the clip and are part of the metal body of the car? They are not flimsy like the tie-down clips, and are right behind where the seats would be, so angle wouldn't be a problem. The manual does not mention them and says there's no tether in the back.

2. If not, has anyone had a CX9 retro-fitted for tethers in the back? I wonder if there is a part that could be bolted into these holes to serve as a tether anchor.

3. The other cars we were considering were the Acura MDX and the Pilot, but we like the Mazda better all around and prefer to go with it if we can make it work. With that said, anyone have experience with a FF convertible, RF convertible and an infant seat all in any of these three cars? Would they all fit potentially on the second row of any of these? The MDX has three LATCH sets on row 2, but not sure if it's wide enough to fit 3 across. Could use the back row in it, though, for FF convertible.

Just seeking info, particularly on using something other than an "official" tether spot as long as it is lined up/angle ok and it is very strong. Thanks!!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I'm not sure about retrofitting or the strange hooks you're referring to, but a good friend of mine has an 08 CX9 and the 3rd row is SHALLOW. I've sat back there myself, and it's ok, but there's not much leg room at all. It also takes up most of the cargo space too... it's really not very usable IMO, and it wouldn't be my first choice for a vehicle if you're going to really use the 3rd row for more than the occasional extra person in the car. I've also tried to fit numerous RF seats back there and haven't been successful with any of them, there's just not enough front to back space.

The CX9 2nd row is pretty roomy though, the seats you have are pretty huge but a Radian installs very easily - I bet you could put the 5 month old in a RF Radian, put the new baby in your Chaperone and be able to fit everyone in the 2nd row.

Kaitsmom

I rented a 2012 CX-9 and the manual said no ffing car seats could be installed in the third row. Just a heads up on that. I didnt love it, it was okay but we had leather seats and it was HARD getting my Marathon installed, took me 3 tries and a couple of hours.

U

Unregistered

I am curious as to what you all did here. We are in the same boat with a FF Radian in the third row, and I'd really like to tether.

Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC