The Booster Bench

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
http://www.lonsister.com/

My gut reaction is that this looks like a horrible manifestation of a unique solution for a common problem: needing to fit 3 kids in a small car -- the Radian seems 100X easier to use correctly than this.... But, would anyone else be willing to elaborate on their impression/concerns, etc?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I think it looks kind of neat but how safe can it really be for the children; I don't think I would use it :confused: Was there a price on there anywhere?

I added the pictures as the link took me to the page but I had to search a little to find the pictures.

boosterbench.gif

boosterbenchcombo.gif

boosterbenchmini.gif

sb518

And how in the world do they plan on installing this mega-beast? With LATCH? Like 3 kids will ever weigh under 48lbs... and you apparently don't install it with the belt, as you would need the belts for the kids.

And oh my gosh did I just realize you don't install it!? :eek: You just buckle the kids in on this huge long booster and go?

I think this is a horrific idea, say you get T-boned on one side, instead of one kid getting the impact all 3 of them do?? Makes me feel sick...

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What would you do if you were only transporting 1 child at any given time instead of 2-3? You would always need to have all the seats filled.

MomToEliEm

I don't like the idea of having only low-back boosters. The picture they provide doesn't even have headreasts so low back boosters really aren't practical for most kids whose head extends past the seat back.

How are they going to accomodate the various sizes of car seat benches. The seatbealts in cars are not a standard distance from each other.

I just don't see how this would work. I would be much happier buying a built in booster or carseat made by the car manufacturer then buying a 3rd party device not built for the car.

I'm not sure how the combo model (2 boosters/1 5-pt. seat) could possibly be safe-- the 5-pt. end of the seat would be buckled down by the vehicle seat belt, but the belt would actually be restraining the entire 3-part seat and all of its occupants' weight! What if there were no children sitting in the boosters, therefore no additional seatbelts restraining the rest of the seat?!? :eek:

Did they test it with different numbers of occupants, in different combinations of seating arrangements? Does it even list the height/weight limits for the 5-pt. harnessed seat portion??

elle7715

Oh gosh, where do I start...
1) they say it's designed for bench seats. Bench seats often don't have headrests (at least in all positions) so backless boosters are inappropriate.
2) What happens when one kid outgrows it? You have to buy a whole other one!
3) If an adult needs to ride in the back seat, you have to take the whole thing out. Where will the kids sit then?
4) Even if it performs decently well in front impact collisions I think this thing would be a disaster in a real life crash.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The more I think about it after a quick look at the site, the more I'm inclined to agree that this product/prototype potentially raises more safety questions and problems than it purports to solve. :twocents:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well, the only silver lining is that it would have to pass FMVSS standards - and I'm thinking FMVSS standards aren't even developed for something that's intended as a multi-child child restraint, so it'll probably never get on the market. :whistle:

It has potential for an ok product and potential for a really horrible product.

I think even if it was a good product though, the potential for misuse would be so high that it wouldn't be something to recommend... it would have to have the requirement of all seatbelts being secured when not in use - which all boosters should be buckled when not in use, but in this case you could be talking about much more of a risk when one child is on the booster and the other 2 positions aren't buckled...

I was also worried about lack of head support too... And then there's the whole issue that most vehicle seats don't have just straight benches anymore - most are split in some way.

It's a creative solution, but I doubt we'd ever see it make it to market unless there's a way it could meet FMVSS standards.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
1) they say it's designed for bench seats. Bench seats often don't have headrests (at least in all positions) so backless boosters are inappropriate.
3) If an adult needs to ride in the back seat, you have to take the whole thing out. Where will the kids sit then?
4) Even if it performs decently well in front impact collisions I think this thing would be a disaster in a real life crash.

Just to play devils advocate here.....
1. - in some states, the laws only cover kids through 4-5 yrs old, so these kids would still be short enough to use a backless booster AND have their heads within the seat. (although of course these kids should be harnessed, lol)
2-3. I think they could easily get around this by saying it is for families with kids very close together, stepping-stone kids, or like 1 and then 18 months later twins, etc....in situaitons where an adult isn't going to really ever use the seat (An adult hsa sat in the back seats of our van like....twice in 3 years? So that's really doable for some families..)
4 - even I can't devils advocate this one...I think it would be horrid.
LOL.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

I agree with each of your four questions. Wow.

singingpond

Maybe for a niche market, when transporting a bunch of similar age/size kids (e.g. preschool, or some of those smaller school bus/vans, assuming they have lap/shoulder belts, of course)? I haven't taken the time to visit the site, to see if it says anything about how the thing is attached to the vehicle. Wouldn't it have to be independently attached (e.g. by LATCH) since it has to weigh more than the maximum allowed for an unattached booster (9 pounds, I think?). Is it subject to same rules and standards as single-occupant seats? Interesting idea, but it does look like it invites new categories of misuse, versus single-occupant seats. I wouldn't buy such a thing, personally, just because there is no real-world accident data with it yet -- from a selfish p.o.v., I always prefer to have other people do the beta testing, if possible... :rolleyes: .

ETA: I realized that 'preschool' is probably too vague, since a lot of people start kids in preschool at age 3 -- too young for boosters anyway. I was thinking more of the 4 and 5 y.o. group. Looking at the drawings, I guess there is also a model that accomdates 5-point harnessed seats... Guess I really should visit the site, to see how the thing attaches. Does it say anything about cost? How could it even be competitive with some of the cheaper individual seats, since it probably is produced in small quantity??

Katrin

waterbaby

Oh gosh. Why not launch three kids out of the car at the same time?!?! Not something we'll be investing in.

Michi

Not to mention, what about the weight differences of the children themselves?
If you put a heavy kid on one side it's going to have a see-saw effect and lift the other children in the air. So you would have to put the heavier child in the middle, and move the smaller/lighter children outboard...and they are the ones that need MORE protection!
GAH! This thing is awful!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I don't even know where to start...

My biggest concern? It's bigger/heavier than an individual booster seat so it will have more force of its own in a crash, which will act against its need to stay in place.

Scary. Really scary.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Well, the only silver lining is that it would have to pass FMVSS standards - and I'm thinking FMVSS standards aren't even developed for something that's intended as a multi-child child restraint, so it'll probably never get on the market. :whistle:

ITA. It says (italics mine):
Designed to meet all required US Government safety standards. (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS 49CFR571.213))

So I don't think it's actually been tested. Now that I know that, I'm less concerned about it. I don't think it's going to pass either. Whew...!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks all -- one of the reps posted this as an option at the carseatdata.org forum in response to someone asking for help with 3 across :thumbsdown: I simply responded that I can see an increased risk of misuse, but wanted to keep the thread relevant to REAL solutions :whistle: It's been bothering me & I have all these horific images in my mind, but they just weren't forming into coherent explanations :eek: (perhaps a symptom of shock, LOL) Anyway, does anyone mind if I quote some of these comments in that forum?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Another problem? I don't think parents will go for it. With backless boosters being so cheap and easy to move/stow, why would you buy a big ol' thing like this? What if one kid needs to ride home with Grandma or go with friend? You can't take the booster out and send it with them. So in addition to being unsafe, I think it will also be unmarketable.

Sorry for the multiple posts on this item - it's just so awful that I can't get it out of my mind... :p

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
With backless boosters being so cheap and easy to move/stow, why would you buy a big ol' thing like this? What if one kid needs to ride home with Grandma or go with friend?

Because some vehicles are very difficult to fit 3 across! I could see using something like this in the 3rd row of my Ody. That bench (which has head support!) is too narrow for separate child restraints. The same was true in the 3rd row of my Pilot. Fortunately, I don't have to fit 5 kid in the back, so it's not an issue, but what if I were pregnant with TWINS? Then my choice becomes finding a way to fit 3 kids on the back bench or putting one kid in the front seat.

Obviously, you would need spare seat(s) for the times when your child rides in another vehicle, but that's not exactly a novel idea.

I'm not getting these "scary" crash dynamics that so many posters seem to be envisioning, at least not with the booster-only version. Boosters were described to me as "telephone book technology." That is, their primary purpose is simply to lift the child up so the seatbelt fits him/her properly. This product would do that. I don't see how it would be better or worse than 3 separate backless boosters in a side impact.

I also don't see how having a heavy child sitting next to a light child could cause problems, as each child would be seatbelted separately, and the armrests would help hold the seat itself in place along with the child. Only taking 1-2 children in the seat? Wouldn't you just buckle the other seatbelt(s) anyway?

It's obviously a niche product. It's obviously not the best seat for every situation (no seat is!). I don't know if the demand would be enough to be profitable. But, the concept itself isn't a bad idea, nor is it one for which I can see no practical use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC