Child restraint law - Tennessee

LuvMyGirls

I was just looking for the wording of our child restraint laws. I have never been clear on whether a bpb counts for the 4 &/or 40 laws. I found a site that lists laws for all states, but says it is as of 2006. Look what Tennessee said:

Notwithstanding the provisions of § 55-9-603, any person transporting any child, one (1) through three (3) years of age weighing greater than twenty pounds (20 lbs.), in a motor vehicle upon a road, street or highway of Tennessee is responsible for the protection of the child and properly using a child passenger restraint system in a forward facing position, meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards in the rear seat if available or according to the child safety restraint system or vehicle manufacturer's instructions.

They require that the child be in a forward-facing seat? I hope that has been changed.

Last edited:
ADS

Niea

I was just looking for the wording of our child restraint laws. I have never been clear on whether a bpb counts for the 4 &/or 40 laws. I found a site that lists laws for all states, but says it is as of 2006. Look what Tennessee said:

Notwithstanding the provisions of § 55-9-603, any person transporting any child, one (1) through three (3) years of age weighing greater than twenty pounds (20 lbs.), in a motor vehicle upon a road, street or highway of Tennessee is responsible for the protection of the child and properly using a child passenger restraint system in a forward facing position, meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards in the rear seat if available or according to the child safety restraint system or vehicle manufacturer's instructions.

They require that the child be in a forward-facing seat? I hope that has been changed.

Unfortunately, I do not think it has.

Last year I got into an argument with someone about this very same thing. I was absolutely certain that the law was worded incorrectly and didn't reflect the intent. Well, I emailed with the Assistant Director of the Tennessee Highway Patrol (Lt. Leonard Moudy) and he assured me, that YES children MUST be forward-facing between the ages of 1 and 3.

We emailed back and forth and I tried explaining my position and the best practices of child safety and again, asked for clarification. He told me that the entire highway patrol has been trained to ticket and fine any driver who does not have their 1-3 yr old forwardfacing. :eek: He reiterated that they do not make the laws, they only enforce them. I appreciate that, but still :eek:

LuvMyGirls

Oh, my. So you live in Tennessee? I wonder what you would have to do to have the law changed. If the AAP clearly states the the child should be rf after 1 year, then the law certainly needs to allow it.

Niea

Oh, my. So you live in Tennessee? I wonder what you would have to do to have the law changed. If the AAP clearly states the the child should be rf after 1 year, then the law certainly needs to allow it.

Heh, no I live in New Mexico. But the girl I was arguing with was from Tennessee, which is how I got involved in that mess. If I lived there I would have pursued it further, I think, but I live too far away to take on something so large. But I totally agree. . SUCKY law!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC