Vent Child in front seat

acoro

Thursday when I picked DS1 up from school we were walking home and a boy yelled goodbye to my son from the front seat of a car. I asked who it was and my son told me it was so and so. I asked from his class and he said yes. ds1 is not quite 7!! Who the crap lets a 7 year old sit in a seatbelt only (if he was even wearing one) in the front seat in Ontario in 2012?!?!?!?!? If for no other reason than because it's the law you'd think the kid would in the back in a booster. The kid could barely see out the window!

I honestly thought people around here had a little more sense than that regarding their children's safety. I guess not. What is it about driving and cars that make otherwise intelligent people act so carelessly?

ADS

robbertbobbert

It's so infuriating:(

The mom I sit for lets her four year old and six year old share the front seat with no seatbelt. I did what I could to get her to use seats (crash info, ticket prices if she go pulled over, copies of the law), but now I just had to let it go.

kam1011

It's so infuriating:(

The mom I sit for lets her four year old and six year old share the front seat with no seatbelt. I did what I could to get her to use seats (crash info, ticket prices if she go pulled over, copies of the law), but now I just had to let it go.

See, I wouldn't be able to watch those kids anymore because it would bother me too much and the lack of respect I'd have for the mother would make it impossible for me to take her seriously about anything else in the kids' lives.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Sometimes it's not as easy as that... I had a family where mom gave it a solid effort but dad rolled his eyes and transports unrestrained. You can only educate so much, then it's a matter of saying a prayer and weighing whether removing yourself does more harm than good. The parent is not going to change what they are doing regardless, but if you are around you might have some influence in the long term, kwim?

Syllieann

I see it all the time, unfortunately. I was actually in a crash myself when I was 7 and sitting in the front seat. I'm an only child so I have no idea why I was in the front seat. Thankful I made it out alive and I never intend to do that w/ my children even though "I survived".

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I avoid arrival and dismissal at school as much as possible. When I do go out, I try to focus on kids on the sidewalk, not the cars in the car line:

Tons of unrestrained kids and adults, too many occupants (ie - 4 in a standard pickup), kids standing, wearing backpack and winter coat beneath the seatbelt. . . A few years back, I saw an old overhead shield car seat being used as a BPB - shield was raised, kid in seat with seatbelt over top. I've also seen more than 1 IO used as a FF seat. Agghhh!

mommyfrog

On Saturday I saw a woman and two little girls come out of the gas station store towards a regular 4 door car. The girls were about 8 and 10 maybe. They both climbed in the front seat together and the woman drove off on a 50 mph road. I have no idea if they buckled as she was driving away, but what she was doing was illegal and unsafe even if they did buckle. Kids have to be in the back seat until 13 here and double buckling is not allowed. I don't know if she was otherwise intelligent or not, but I called her an idiot when my dh got back in the car!!

VoodooChile

Car line was a horror show at my dd's school last year! I guess I'm naive but I just couldn't believe the number of young elementary kids who rode in nothing (including seat belts), who rode in the front seat, etc. That may be why no one ever fussed at me that I wouldn't budge until dd was buckled up, even if it held up the line?
Every once in awhile the SRO (he was shared throughout all of the elementary schools) would sit out there and I did see him wave cars over from time to time, so I hope he informed a few parents about properly restraining their kids. I'm pretty sure he was a CPST b/c I also know he helped run a seat check at the school (that we were unable to attend).
I have no idea what the state of affairs is at dd's new school is, since she takes the bus here. The one time I had to pick her up early for an appointment, there was another parent picking his daughter up at the same time. She was much bigger than dd, and looked older. They were driving out behind us, and the girl was in the backseat but was leaning up between the front seats talking to her dad--I don't know if a seat belt would allow someone to lean up that far, so my guess was that she was unboostered/unbelted.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC