Got an Odyssey!!! Help me pick seat placement!

minismom

I just brought home a new Odyssey and Im so excited to start playing with my car seats.
Anyone wants to toss around some ideas on seat placement? My only real question is which is safer 2nd row outboard or 3rd row center.
I have only two kids so its not exactly rocket science, but snce there are so many possile scenarios i'd love to get opinions from more minivan experienced friends! Kids stats are accurate in my sig. Seat i own are two radians xtsl, one frontier 85 SICT, one old style marathon and a coccoro that i probably should sell, ds hasnt fit RF in it for a while now. I also need one FF and one RF seat for my other car, probably the radians. I also dont think i wanna use the MA, dont love the leg room RF and the high base. May be cool to keep it ff smewhere in third row so its ready for giving an unexpected ride to another child. So i guess im buyimg new seats, but which ones?
I dont transport other adults on a regular basis but i want to be able to do so easily. I need to be able to either slide fwd an outboard chair, or im thinking completely remove the middle or even an outboard one and have free access to the back. Dd can almost buckle herself but the crotch buckle needs checking, she cant always do it.
Thoughts???
:love:

Thanks,
Mini

ADS

minismom

I forgot to say, i cant put them side by side because thats how i had them until a month ago but had to separate them cause they were fighting too much. I hope in a few months i can put them together again, or that maybe i can try it if moving one seat fwd and the otherone back and then cant reach each other as much.

bella_1818

What year is the Odyssey?

Can you get the RF Radian installed in a Captain's chair? We're looking at the 2012 and I could only get the seat up to a 53 degree angle with my 40lb child.

tl01

We have the same car... And have our two outboard 2nd row but on the narrow mode. That way they are two inches or so closer to the center. I personally don't love the idea about the kids being in the back bc they are harder to get to in a crash and I don't love the idea about them being hit from the back even though I've read up a lot on rear crashes. I do a lot of highway driving and it freaks me out.

minismom

What year is the Odyssey?

Can you get the RF Radian installed in a Captain's chair? We're looking at the 2012 and I could only get the seat up to a 53 degree angle with my 40lb child.

2012. I havent attempted any installs yet, literally just got it, but from what ive read the radian does install very reclined. But now that they have the angle adjuster it should fix it. Im going to order one if i decide im sticking with the radian.

minismom

We have the same car... And have our two outboard 2nd row but on the narrow mode. That way they are two inches or so closer to the center. I personally don't love the idea about the kids being in the back bc they are harder to get to in a crash and I don't love the idea about them being hit from the back even though I've read up a lot on rear crashes. I do a lot of highway driving and it freaks me out.

Thanks, i am also a bit unsure about the third row, it could get really annoying have to get in there to buckle dd. And id still have to be able to install a frontier with that weird seatbelt. Do you have your center seat off or just folded? How do ppl get to the third row?

flutie128

My personally preference is to have both of them in the middle row because it is easier to get them in, out and buckled.

mom2kandm

I also second both kids in the second row. I have a spare roundabout in the third row for the unexpected guest and its a pain to get back there to buckle the child. It might be easier to have part of 3rd row flat (i.e. no seat) and access the 3rd row from the back.

minismom

Thanks everyone. I think im convinced i should keep them both in the second row, we were all playing in the car earlier and i realized even if i completely removed an outboard chair it will get Really annoying getting all the way back there everyday to buckle. And yeah, in an emergency it would be hard too. Hopefully i will come up with a way to put them side by side and not reach each other to fight.... And off to order an angle adjuster!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The angle adjusters are backordered almost everywhere-the places that still have them have absurd shipping. But let us know if you need help finding them, I'm sure sometime has the links or I can rry and look them up. :)

MommyShannon

I have an adjuster back ordered from Amazon and it's estimating 19 March I think. Hopefully that's right and doesn't get pushed back. I'm waiting to order a Radian for our Ody when it comes.

BellesMom

When I only had two kids and a minivan, I had them both in the captain's chairs in the middle row. I had the baby on the passenger side. The kids always entered on the passenger side, and while I was buckling the baby, my toddler could crawl into her seat. I'd then walk around to the driver's side and buckle my her up.
Getting out was then easy too - I'd open the driver's side sliding door, unbuckle the toddler and let her crawl out while I was walking around the van. Both kids got out passenger side.

minismom

When I only had two kids and a minivan, I had them both in the captain's chairs in the middle row. I had the baby on the passenger side. The kids always entered on the passenger side, and while I was buckling the baby, my toddler could crawl into her seat. I'd then walk around to the driver's side and buckle my her up.
Getting out was then easy too - I'd open the driver's side sliding door, unbuckle the toddler and let her crawl out while I was walking around the van. Both kids got out passenger side.

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. Did i see you say on another thread that you ended up being able to install a radian rf on the capitain's chair after all? Did you get the angle adjuster or was that without? Sorry if i got it confused and it wasnt you. Im a bit worried about those adjusters being back ordered!

lovemybabies924

I have an 04 ody and my old radian was super upright with latch in the captains chair.. I sold the radian because it was so upright for my noob

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

luckyclov

The Angle Adjuster resolves the Radian over-reclining issue in the new gen Odys.

I have an extra AA. PM me if you're interested.

minismom

Just fyi, I installed the radian without the AA and it was alright, definitely more reclined than I would have wanted but not too much that my son would be bothered and it left okish space for the front seat. So it's doable, but I will definitely be using the AA to make it more upright!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC