Harnessed vs High Back Booster??

G8r4evr

Is there a MAJOR safety benefit to being FF harnessed over using a high back booster, assuming the child sits correctly?

ADS

G8r4evr

Looking back at your posts, I see your child is not yet 4. She should absolutely remain harnessed.

She will be 4 in 2 weeks and is off the charts for height and weight, I originally planned to keep her harnessed til 5, but now I am thinking it will be sometime between 4 and 5.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Height and weight has nothing to do with it, unless she's outgrown the largest harnessed seat on the market.

3yos need to be harnessed. Almost-4yos need to be harnessed. Newly-4yos need to be harnessed.

Booster *training* can start towards the middle of the fifth (age ~4.5) year, maybe, but very few children are ready to be in total control of their safety until closer to the middle of the sixth year (age ~5.5).

Pixels

There is enough of a difference that, according to NHTSA:
a booster is not an option for a three year old.
A child four to seven years old who still fits in their harnessed seat should remain in their harnessed seat.
A child four to seven years old who has outgrown their harness should move to a booster.

lovemy2kidstw

Pixels said:
There is enough of a difference that, according to NHTSA:
a booster is not an option for a three year old.
A child four to seven years old who still fits in their harnessed seat should remain in their harnessed seat.
A child four to seven years old who has outgrown their harness should move to a booster.

I so wish the companies would quit putting age 3 & 30 lbs on their boosters. It's like a license for people to booster too early.

Laurelz

lovemy2kidstw said:
I so wish the companies would quit putting age 3 & 30 lbs on their boosters. It's like a license for people to booster too early.

I thought that same thing not an hour ago! I was just reading the nautilus manual and it said 30lbs for the booster mode and i think 40 for nbb mode! My 2yo is 30-31lbs. According to them I could booster my 2yo! Uh NO! And my 3yo should be in a nbb! Yikes!!!

They need to just put "5yr min"on them. Not weight. It might save a lot of questioning like this. Not saying her question is bad and not trying I be rude op! :) it just seems a lot of people think because the company says it that it's ok. I totally would have been that person if it weren't for this place! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Pixels

I thought that same thing not an hour ago! I was just reading the nautilus manual and it said 30lbs for the booster mode and i think 40 for nbb mode! My 2yo is 30-31lbs. According to them I could booster my 2yo! Uh NO! And my 3yo should be in a nbb! Yikes!!!

They need to just put "5yr min"on them. Not weight. It might save a lot of questioning like this. Not saying her question is bad and not trying I be rude op! :) it just seems a lot of people think because the company says it that it's ok. I totally would have been that person if it weren't for this place! :)

The Nautilus does have a 30 pound minimum for HBB and 40 pound minimum for backless booster, but there is also a 3 year minimum for HBB and 4 years for backless. So your two year old should definitely be harnessed, even according to Graco.

lovemy2kidstw

Laurelz said:

Oh wow! That means DD. Who just turned 3 Thursday could be in a NBB!!! No way she's staying harnessed as long as possible, I know she wouldn't stay in position, the only time she's ever still is when she's in her car seat & it's only because she can't move.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Graco has a 4yo minimum on backless boosters, but yes, many backless boosters have 3yo minimums (and even one 1yo minimum!).

There is a huge difference between legal and safe. It's legal for me to feed an 18mo Diet Coke and Happy Meals three times a day. It's not really a great idea, though. Neither is putting a 30# 3yo in a backless booster.

Laurelz

Pixels said:
The Nautilus does have a 30 pound minimum for HBB and 40 pound minimum for backless booster, but there is also a 3 year minimum for HBB and 4 years for backless. So your two year old should definitely be harnessed, even according to Graco.

Oh sorry! I obviously missed that! :/ I guess I was just surprised when I read the weight because I thought "that's the same size as West!"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC