More questions about the KWP

momtoo3

I've wanted the KWP since I first saw it mentioned here. Now that it is getting closer to being released I need to decide between it and the FR85. Ds3 is tiny and 29ish pounds at almost 3 1/2 yrs so he will be able to use the shield until he is booster ready unless he decides to have a huge growth spurt but 10 pounds in a 1 1/2-2 years is not likely for him.

So for my questions:

1. Is there proof that the KWP is safer than a FF harness? Anything I could read or watch?

2. With the new LATCH requirements I was reading in another thread, how will that affect the KWP if using LATCH with the shield?
I am guessing it is going to be a heavy seat but I could be wrong. I don't know what the difference is in weight between the KWP and FR85 but I want to be able to use LATCH as long as possible because ds3 sits on the second row 2 person bench on the side that is more to the middle (side where you climb in to the 3rd row) and I don't want to have to stretch the seat belt across the opening since the bigger kids are usually the ones back there and have to climb out during drop offs. I don't even know if the new rules will be retroactive (I got confused on the other thread) and pertain to these seats if I buy them before the rules are in effect.

3. As a tech (or anyone here who is carseat crazy) which seat would you pick for a 30ish pound almost 4 yr old? I most likely won't be getting the new seat until summer and he will be 4 in Sept. I am hoping this will be the last seat for ds3 in my van until he is in a nbb, which may be never because he will probably fit in a hbb until high school at this rate ;).

ADS

Laurelz

I don't know what the KWP is (and if it's expensive don't tell me! Ha!) I have my ods who is 3.5, 41lb and 40in tall in a FR85. I love it! It fits him very well! As big of a kid as he is there isn't a lot of wiggle room. And i mean that in a good way because i know some people say they dont like the "space" that a fr can give off when a smaller child is in it. Now if I set my 2yo in it for kicks, then yes, the seat looks huge!! And he's only 30lb, and about 33in. So he's tiny next to big brother. I can post pics of them in it if you want. Just let me know. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

creideamh

I don't know about most of your questions regarding LATCH, but I would totally pick it just because it's different and their science behind it makes sense to me (well, for FF... I simply don't believe it's safer than RFing.) Just my 2 cents! :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The LATCH limits won't be retroactive. Even if they were, I doubt the seat is more than 25 lbs, meaning you could use it for the full 40-lb weight of the child.

christineka

Thanks for the links. I had quit reading that thread before links and stuff were posted. This is good. Well, having some more info is, anyway. What do you think about using the shield vs a 5 point harness for a kid over age 5 that is under 40 pounds?

As I read, it sounds like to use the kiddy with shield, the child must sit up and in position all the time. My kids sleep in the car. I do have kids who sit back in their boosters with the head to the side, but I think with a shield, my children would be prone to using it as a pillow. (Maybe not.) This is good! Maybe I don't need a $250 booster:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC