Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Help- sensory processing and Autism and RXT covers

I need advice. I my RXT, but my sensory/ASD nanny kiddo does not. I'm talking meltdown every ride. I tried covering where she would touch with a receiving blanket (just the bottom and sides) but that hasn't helped. I cannot pinpoint if it's the crazy pattern (Spring cover) or if it's the actual texture.

I emailed Diono for CS last week amd we've been emailing back and forth. I need to get a new cover, but funds are tight (read as: nonexistent). I asked if there was a CPST discount on covers or something. I don't want to have to sell this seat until I try everything.

In her Mom's car she sits in a FR with a mesh type cover. She likes to pull at the mesh. Although I was hoping to steer clear of mesh, I now need to try. Does the Plum cover have mesh on the sides that she could feel?

Any other suggestions??
    Last edited by Kac; 02-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    Kacie, CPST.
    Aunt to SIX little loves between the ages of two weeks and seven years!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: Help- sensory processing and Autism and RXT covers

No, I believe Plum is plush like Spring. I've never owned, only helped a parent install them, so I can't say for sure. I know it isn't the rip-stop nylon like Shadow, Cobalt, or Daytona.

ETA: it looks like it does have a bit of mesh on the sides, and where the label is between the headwings.

zoom in here - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-RadianRXT-Convertible-Seat-Plum/dp/B005MQR96U"]Amazon.com: Diono RadianRXT Convertible Car Seat, Plum: Baby[/ame]

4. Thank You from:

Kac

Can you make her a taggie to pick at and feel instead?
    Wyatt Henry, 5.25.2010

Quote Originally Posted by crunchierthanthou View Post
    No, I believe Plum is plush like Spring. I've never owned, only helped a parent install them, so I can't say for sure. I know it isn't the rip-stop nylon like Shadow, Cobalt, or Daytona.

ETA: it looks like it does have a bit of mesh on the sides, and where the label is between the headwings.

zoom in here - Amazon.com: Diono RadianRXT Convertible Car Seat, Plum: Baby
    Ah, thank you! I might be trading for a Shadow, so we'll see if that helps her. Fingers crossed. If not, I guess Plum it is.
    Kacie, CPST.

CPS Fanatic

What does she think of the Nauti cover?

Her sister uses the Nautilus so she hasn't tried it.
    Kacie, CPST.

If that doesn't work, what about the dry seat?

It's a smooth velour like fabric and solid colour.

The Shadow is smooth/slippery and little squares that might keep her mind busy tracking the shapes...

tam

I'm hoping the Shadow will work. I tried a receiving blanket which covered more than the dry pad would and that didn't work. Fingers crossed.
    Kacie, CPST.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Kac View Post
    Her sister uses the Nautilus so she hasn't tried it.
    I just thought if she liked/disliked the Nauti cover you could try to find one that felt/didn't feel like it. I know its not always an option to switch seats but I would maybe have her sit in it for a few min even if you don't go anywhere.

12. Thank You from:

Kac

I know she likes her FR in Mom's car which has mesh that she likes. I saw the Plum md how it appears to have mesh down the side which I'm thinking she'd like.

The Nautilus I have has a plush soft fabric that in appearance looks like the purple part of the Plum. The rest is the green Beckett that is soft.
    Kacie, CPST.

Senior Community Member Polola0628's Avatar

My Plum RXT is sitting in front of me.. the only mesh are the little black parts near the red belt path "guides" (near the hip) for booster mode, and the black on the headrest where it says "Diono". That's it. The little black flaps that touch the headwings are plush.

In case anyone was wondering =P
    DD1|N|6y10m| - FF Turbo / Big Kid HB
    DD2|M|4y10m| - FF Livia FR85/Ventura XTSL
    DD3|N|2y1m| - RF Plum RXT
    2006 Nissan Pathfinder