Backless boosters

jsta1005

How old would you be comfortable with a child in a backless booster? Full-time? and for the occasional short ride?

ADS

amyd

My own child? Full time? When they have outgrown the back a reasonably tall highback. Occasionally? Maybe 7.

misstj9

My own child, i'm okay with it occasionally at age 7. Regular every day use I'd say about 8.5-9. Other people's kids in my car, same rules as my own kids.

kater-tot82

Occasional use? 6yo. Full time? 7-8yo.

That being said my own almost 9yo is still in a highback booster. She has just started expressing interest in moving to a backless so it will be happening soon, I'd imagine.

firemomof3

DD1 was allowed to ride in a backless occasionally at 7y/o and full-time at 8y/o but for long trips she is either in her Oobr or SGL because she still falls asleep.

MommyShannon

I put my 6 yo in a backless when we had family in town. I was sitting next to her though so I could make sure she stayed in position. She needed reminders so I am not ok with her in one any other time. She does well in her hbb though.

ElfJewel

For my own kids? Occasionally at 6. Full time, maybe 8 if they bug me, or whenever they outgrow the back (M is 9 and the back was getting uncomfortable so we took it off, she does technically still have a little room).
For other people's kids? If I can keep them in a nbb at 6 I am happy. Even with me I only make them use a nbb if they are used to riding with nothing.

NVMBR02

DD1 started riding in a nbb in sh's car 2-3 times a month right after she turned 6. We just moved her to a nbb full time at 8 years 1 month. She has outgrown the OS parkway on the highest setting that fits out board in my car (tight three across, the seat only fits outboard). I am comfortable with her in a nbb.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Going through this right now. DD is 3 mos away from 9 and complaining about sitting in a hbb. She actually cried about it. :( I told her at 9 she could move for sure in dh's car but am just not sure about my car. I prefer her in a hbb but I guess I'll let her go backless.

She rides in a backless frequently but not full time.

Last edited:

Kegracin

My DS1 out grew his high back booster right before his 8th birthday then went into a low back booster. He was allowed to ride in a low back booster with the IL's when he was 7 but only on short trips because the car used to put him to sleep. He now keeps his video game system with him to keep him awake and has mostly figured out how to stay upright if he does fall asleep.

I will not use a low back before 6.

steph_s

My ds is almost 8 and is on the last click on his monterey with 1 more notch on the parkway. When he outgrows that in a few months judging by his current growth curve he will be in a nbb. My rule is 6 for occasional use and when they outgrow their hbb for full time use.

momtoo3

Ds2 has been using a nbb occasionally for the past year ( starting in K) for riding with friends. It is usually less than once a month and most of the time with the mom of the boys I watch when our boys get invited to birthday parties and we each drive one way. I usually drop off and leave the nbb and she picks up. He also uses a nbb once in a while when he rides with my FIL and ds3 and dn are in his car at the same time because ds3 and dn share a Maestro in his car but obviously can't both use it at the same time so dn goes into ds2's hbb and ds2 gets the nbb.
In our vehicles he is still in a hbb at all times. If he grows much more he will be getting a nbb in dh's car because I can't adjust any of his boosters any higher with the shape of the side/door frame. My goal is to make it until age 8 and then he can choose, except on long trips where he will sleep.

christineka

For my own children, who are small, I'm fine with occasional backless booster at 8.5 years and fulltime backless at age 12 or the high back is outgrown.

aeormsby

My DD started riding in a NBB very occasionally at 5y8m. I plan to keep her in the HBB's in our vehicles until at least age 8 (unless she's too tall before that). And possibly longer in a HBB in our truck which doesn't really have headrests in the backseat.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have always said until she outgrows it but knowing that a backless is a safe option and that she is not a petite kid I will likely relent. She has almost outgrown the PW in dh's vehicle anyway.

Keeanh

Full-time, 9.
Driving through the neigbourhood to lessons, I'm okay with 7yo using the backless if his HBB happens to be out of the van. I wouldn't choose to let him ride in it on the highway, but I think I'd be okay with it if there was no other option.

essnce629

I'd say 7 for occasional use. DS1 used a backless for summer camp field trips last year. The year before he was in a highback for camp.

For full-time use, my own child? I'd say not till 9 at the bare minimum. DS1 is 8 1/2 and I just switched his FR85 from harness-mode to booster last week so I don't see him sitting in a backless full time for a long time!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC