Stuck on which booster for 6 year old

Mama's Girls

My six year daughter - 65lbs, 49 or 50" tall - has been in a nautilus. My almost 4 year old has been RF in a marathon. It's expiring and she's finally outgrowing it weight-wise so I want to move her to the Nautilus. It seems so much safer FF than a marathon for a small 4 year old. The six year old
Just reached the 65 pound harness limit on it anyway. I am stuck
On all the boosters available. Some seem so narrow, which at first sounds good but it might not be comfortable for a child who isn't petite. My budget is somewhat limited, preferably less than $100 or so.

ADS
I'd take her to a store with lots of options and let her try several out. She can tell you which ones are comfortable for her. A couple of affordable models I've noticed may fit the non-petite kids well are the Harmony Cruz ($18) at walmart, the Evenflo Big Kid (although my kids find the high back uncomfortable they do like the backless)

Mama's Girls

Thanks, I think we'll take a trip to babies r us. I am thinking about the recaro on amazon for $70 but if it doesn't work I imagine it will cost almost as much to ship back.

lishoprah

I think the techs on the board must have overlooked your question :). Just wanted to say that you should stick with a high back booster, not a no back booster for a 6 year old. Also, if you have Amazon Prime (or want it), you can return things that qualify for Prime for free. I did have to return a car seat to them once because my dd had almost outgrown it.

cookie123

I agree. Look at a high back booster for a six year old. It will provide some sleeping support as well as some structure to help with keeping child in position. It also offers some side impact protection. Most here would recommend using a highback until outgrown. Also, with a no back, you would want to make sure there's head support. Some highbacks also require it.

Did you mention vehicle the seat will be used in?

cookie123

Also, with boosters, the fit it provides for the seat belt is very important. This link has some info regarding which boosters are likely to be a good fit as well as what a good fit is.

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

I like the Diono Monterey, which you can find on sale for around $100. It has latch and also expands outward for width. The Britax Parkway SGL is also very nice. On the cheaper side, the Graco Turbobooster works well and usually provides a good fit. The other 2 will last longer, as they have higher seat belt guides.

Mama's Girls

I had no idea about free prime returns! That's great! I'm trying to decode between the britax (a little pricy) and the recaro vivo. We definitely want a highback. The Monterey might work, little more than we wanted to spend. I have a feeling babies r us will only have backless and turbo boosters but I need to get over there to check. Thanks!

mom2pjs

Senior Community Member
Also found the sunshine kids monterey, looks nIce as well! SO many choices!

I like this one, but it is a bit heavy if you need to move it around, but my six yo is barely 40 pounds. I've heard it fits bigger kids really well because it expands. I got mine for 60 ish on close out

Mama's Girls

I like this one, but it is a bit heavy if you need to move it around, but my six yo is barely 40 pounds. I've heard it fits bigger kids really well because it expands. I got mine for 60 ish on close out

I ended up going to the diomo Monterey. Dd was excited that we could get pink. It fits her well according to DH. I've been on bed with the flu and haven seen
Her in it yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC