Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Stuck on which booster for 6 year old

My six year daughter - 65lbs, 49 or 50" tall - has been in a nautilus. My almost 4 year old has been RF in a marathon. It's expiring and she's finally outgrowing it weight-wise so I want to move her to the Nautilus. It seems so much safer FF than a marathon for a small 4 year old. The six year old
    Just reached the 65 pound harness limit on it anyway. I am stuck
    On all the boosters available. Some seem so narrow, which at first sounds good but it might not be comfortable for a child who isn't petite. My budget is somewhat limited, preferably less than $100 or so.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Stuck on which booster for 6 year old

I'd take her to a store with lots of options and let her try several out. She can tell you which ones are comfortable for her. A couple of affordable models I've noticed may fit the non-petite kids well are the Harmony Cruz ($18) at walmart, the Evenflo Big Kid (although my kids find the high back uncomfortable they do like the backless)

Thanks, I think we'll take a trip to babies r us. I am thinking about the recaro on amazon for $70 but if it doesn't work I imagine it will cost almost as much to ship back.

I think the techs on the board must have overlooked your question . Just wanted to say that you should stick with a high back booster, not a no back booster for a 6 year old. Also, if you have Amazon Prime (or want it), you can return things that qualify for Prime for free. I did have to return a car seat to them once because my dd had almost outgrown it.

I agree. Look at a high back booster for a six year old. It will provide some sleeping support as well as some structure to help with keeping child in position. It also offers some side impact protection. Most here would recommend using a highback until outgrown. Also, with a no back, you would want to make sure there's head support. Some highbacks also require it.

Did you mention vehicle the seat will be used in?
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Also, with boosters, the fit it provides for the seat belt is very important. This link has some info regarding which boosters are likely to be a good fit as well as what a good fit is.

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/...s/default.html

I like the Diono Monterey, which you can find on sale for around $100. It has latch and also expands outward for width. The Britax Parkway SGL is also very nice. On the cheaper side, the Graco Turbobooster works well and usually provides a good fit. The other 2 will last longer, as they have higher seat belt guides.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

I had no idea about free prime returns! That's great! I'm trying to decode between the britax (a little pricy) and the recaro vivo. We definitely want a highback. The Monterey might work, little more than we wanted to spend. I have a feeling babies r us will only have backless and turbo boosters but I need to get over there to check. Thanks!

Also found the sunshine kids monterey, looks nIce as well! SO many choices!

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mama's Girls View Post
    Also found the sunshine kids monterey, looks nIce as well! SO many choices!
    I like this one, but it is a bit heavy if you need to move it around, but my six yo is barely 40 pounds. I've heard it fits bigger kids really well because it expands. I got mine for 60 ish on close out

Quote Originally Posted by mom2pjs View Post
    I like this one, but it is a bit heavy if you need to move it around, but my six yo is barely 40 pounds. I've heard it fits bigger kids really well because it expands. I got mine for 60 ish on close out
    I ended up going to the diomo Monterey. Dd was excited that we could get pink. It fits her well according to DH. I've been on bed with the flu and haven seen
    Her in it yet.