Safety of the front seat....

T

Trish

So.....the front passenger seat is not the safest seat for *anyone* right? Having my 4yo in her SuperElite in the front seat would be no more or less safe than her 12yo brother right?

We have a 5 passenger car, and four kids, so someone HAS to sit in the front seat (no airbag). Seeing as how my 12yo started the car yesterday and it lurched and landed ON MY FEET as I was buckling the littles in the back. (I got to go to the hospital in an ambulance....yippee :rolleyes: ), he is NEVER GOING TO SIT IN THE FRONT AGAIN.

So....who should I put there, my 4yo in her SE (or her BG), or my 18mo RF in his MA/RA?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If a child 12 or under must sit in front, the choice is usually the oldest child that is in a 5-point harness. Move the seat back as far as possible. I might even choose to put the child in the rear-facing seat there as my first choice, provided there is no active frontal airbag.

If you have a frontal airbag, it might be worth requesting an on/off switch.

In many cases, it is best to have this evaluated by an experienced technician in person. That way they can see everything first hand to make the best choice.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Without the airbag, I might be inclined to put the most protected child in the least protected spot...and that would be the rearfacing child, assuming the seat fits well.

But that's just me....

Ouch about your feet! I hope you're ok! I had a car roll over my toes once with no ill effects, but it was horribly frightening to feel that weight bearing down on my little piggies ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC