65-lb LATCH limit

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This has started to be discussed here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=214923 but it seems like kind of a big deal and I thought it deserved its own thread.

Starting in two years, all seats will have a maximum LATCH limit of 65 lbs, including the weight of the child AND the seat.

(If you're going to give "thanks" or rep for this, go to the other thread and give it to Pixels for discovering and reporting on it. I'm just re-posting.)

ADS

Brianna

Le sigh. I don't want to have to keep track of how much the seat weighs :thumbsdown:

I guess it's just not the standardization I was hoping for.

Laurelz

I don't understand latch limits when there are vehicle latch limits. I think it's confusing. I know a friend who has her 50lb child latched because the car seat allows it but her vehicle doesn't.

Brianna

I don't think we will have to keep track of the seat's weight. The manufacturer should, and label the child seat accordingly. So for example, a seat that weighs 20lbs should have a label that says, "Do not use LATCH for children weighing more than 45lbs".

I have a decent grasp on the LATCH limits of the brands right now, but I doubt I'll be able to commit each individual seat's LATCH limit to memory.

Cryssy Jane

Meh I have to do this with Subaru anyways. Not any different for me or any of my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Brianna said:
I have a decent grasp on the LATCH limits of the brands right now, but I doubt I'll be able to commit each individual seat's LATCH limit to memory.

You won't need to. It will be labeled on the seat, per the new requirements.

kidzndogz

That's why hopefully it'll be labeled big and bright all over the seat. So you'll see the sticker when you're grabbing the LATCH straps to install. Now hopefully the average person will notice.

Brianna

I get that, but right now if I'm asked what Graco's LATCH limit is, I can give a response of 48 pounds, unless the vehicle limit is less. If I'm asked what the new Nauti limit is, I have to look it up.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Laurelz said:
I don't understand latch limits when there are vehicle latch limits. I think it's confusing. I know a friend who has her 50lb child latched because the car seat allows it but her vehicle doesn't.

Vehicle LATCH limits don't really make sense, either, though.

Take Honda, 40-lb LATCH limit, child only. Those anchors are supporting maybe 48 lbs when used with a 40-lb Child in a Safety 1st Go, but 75 lbs when used with a heavy seat like the Regent.

Does Honda really intend for there to be such a discrepancy? And does Honda mean that you really can't LATCH a heavier kid in a lighter seat? It seems that if Honda is ok with 75-lbs (Regent + kid), they should be fine with any combination up to that weight.

But vehicle manufacturers can't be expected to know the ins and outs of every child restraint out there, hence the need for some kind of across-the-board limit, which should have been implemented from the start.

Does this mean you can't use LATCH on some seats as long? Yeah. But I personally feel that's a decent trade-off to finally have a standard standard.

JerseyGirl'sMama

LISmama810 said:

Unless I'm missing something, we will have to do this for close to ten years while waiting for the non-marked seat to expire.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
JerseyGirl'sMama said:
Unless I'm missing something, we will have to do this for close to ten years while waiting for the non-marked seat to expire.

But we'd be doing that anyway.

Although that does raise the issue of having two separate weight limits on the same seat manufactured in different years. That kinda sucks.

Which is why there should have been a standard from the start.

kidzndogz

I didn't think it was retroactive? So once it goes into effect, all seats that need to comply will be labeled. Older seats made before the 2 years from now date will be treated like they are now. Right?

Laurelz

LISmama810 said:
Vehicle LATCH limits don't really make sense, either, though.

Take Honda, 40-lb LATCH limit, child only. Those anchors are supporting maybe 48 lbs when used with a 40-lb Child in a Safety 1st Go, but 75 lbs when used with a heavy seat like the Regent.

Does Honda really intend for there to be such a discrepancy? And does Honda mean that you really can't LATCH a heavier kid in a lighter seat? It seems that if Honda is ok with 75-lbs (Regent + kid), they should be fine with any combination up to that weight.

But vehicle manufacturers can't be expected to know the ins and outs of every child restraint out there, hence the need for some kind of across-the-board limit, which should have been implemented from the start.

Does this mean you can't use LATCH on some seats as long? Yeah. But I personally feel that's a decent trade-off to finally have a standard standard.

True. It would be even better I think if LATCH limits for car seats and cars would be the same across the board. Less confusion for everyone. Less questioning. "now what can this car/car seat do?"

Jessica61624

What about older cars? Will the be retested to allow 65lbs total limit? Or are they going to just say if your car is made after a certain date(like diono)? Sorry if its confusing I'm having a hard time getting it out.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
kidzndogz said:
I didn't think it was retroactive? So once it goes into effect, all seats that need to comply will be labeled. Older seats made before the 2 years from now date will be treated like they are now. Right?

Right. Maybe I misunderstood the PP's comment.

And it's possible (and likely) that manufacturers would comply before then.

The confusion will be "What's my seat's LATCH limit?" "Well, if it was manufactured before X and your car is Y, it's Z lbs. If it was manufactured after that, it's W lbs."

Jessica61624 said:
What about older cars? Will the be retested to allow 65lbs total limit? Or are they going to just say if your car is made after a certain date(like diono)? Sorry if its confusing I'm having a hard time getting it out.

No, it's all cars across the board. In essence, this is happening now in seats older than 2005. 25-lb seats holding 40-lb kids. Actually, you have seats far exceeding that, as I pointed out in my Regent example. That seat is at least 30 lbs, right? So you have a 70-lb total weight, which is allowed in a 2004 Honda, according to Honda, since it's only the kid's weight they supposedly care about.

mburks26

confused
I have a ford 2003 latch limit is 48lbs kids weight so with the new latch limits will it be 48lbs total kids weight and the car seat weight? I plan on getting a truefit for the convertible. The weight of the truefit says 19 lbs on the website so that means I can only use Latch in my Ford cars until the child is 29lbs?

And will this be on Boosters with latch as well?
I have a Compass one that is the new one with latch and also the GN I use in booster mode with latch DD is 63 lbs so should I not being using the latch for the boosters.
The only reason I use the latch is that it helps stabilize the seat so dd can get in the truck on her own with out slipping and falling.

glockchick

I think I'm going to be recommending a seat belt install whenever possible. I already do that for my personal seats. ;)

Pixels

confused
I have a ford 2003 latch limit is 48lbs kids weight so with the new latch limits will it be 48lbs total kids weight and the car seat weight? I plan on getting a truefit for the convertible. The weight of the truefit says 19 lbs on the website so that means I can only use Latch in my Ford cars until the child is 29lbs?

And will this be on Boosters with latch as well?
I have a Compass one that is the new one with latch and also the GN I use in booster mode with latch DD is 63 lbs so should I not being using the latch for the boosters.
The only reason I use the latch is that it helps stabilize the seat so dd can get in the truck on her own with out slipping and falling.

You are confusing vehicle LATCH limits with seat LATCH limits. The new standard will require restraint to be clearly labeled not to use with a child weight over X pounds. That X, plus the weight of the restraint, must not be more than 65. So a 22 pound seat would say "Do not use with LATCH with a child over 43 pounds."

Your vehicle weight limit remains unchanged.

Boosters are exempted, as is booster mode for combination seats. It only applies to use of the lower anchors with a harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC