I know everybody is tired of me, but.....help me decide!!! Please?

Which seat?

• BLVD70

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • FR85

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

purplemama

I've narrowed it down to a BLVD70 or FR85 for DS2. Forward facing.

Stats: About 32#, 41.5 inches tall, 14 inch torso. So average height maybe a bit short and SKINNY.

Sleeps on most trips longer than 15 min, will sleep on a shorter trip if in the afternoon and he's tired. Prone to head slump in most seats except the very reclined.

In the car 2-3 times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Anywhere from 10 min to an hour.

I have a 14 month old who is also very tiny so wouldn't be able to use a FR85 for at least another 3 years. But DS2 will definitly fit in a FR85 for 3 years yet.

I'm pregnant with #4 (due early-mid April) who could use the BLVD70 in a year or so I guess or for FF in 4 years or so.

I like the idea of the deep sides and headwings of the BLVD70. Although I do have a an '06 Sedona which has side airbags and great crash test ratings.

Please don't suggest a Radian, I don't care for it FF.

ADS

firemomof3

I have an 06 Sedona and the Frontier installed very reclined in the captain seats with a large gap in between the Frontier/vehicle seat. That was one of the reasons I decided to sell mine after only a week :eek: But you definitely won't have any head slump.
The BV70 installs really nice/easy rf & ff in the Sedona but there will be a definite lack of leg support which you might want to think about.
What about the ProSport?

purplemama

I have an 06 Sedona and the Frontier installed very reclined in the captain seats with a large gap in between the Frontier/vehicle seat. That was one of the reasons I decided to sell mine after only a week :eek: But you definitely won't have any head slump.
The BV70 installs really nice/easy rf & ff in the Sedona but there will be a definite lack of leg support which you might want to think about.
What about the ProSport?

Well, I kinda want the extra year in the BLVD70 or the extra 3 years for the FR85. And with the Prosport I've read things about the seatbelt interfering with the harness and sticking out into the kids back. But I have been kinda considering it, I guess.

Oh, I'll be installing in the 3rd row.

jjordan

If you're going to use it in a LATCH position, then you wouldn't have to think about the seatbelt issues with the Prosport. (Or, at least, not for a long time.)

purplemama

If you're going to use it in a LATCH position, then you wouldn't have to think about the seatbelt issues with the Prosport. (Or, at least, not for a long time.)

Very true. But I would like the seatbelt install option, JIC. BUT.....the blue prosport would look lovely in my van (light grey interior, light blue exterior). LOL.

Brianna

IIRC, Recaro offers a foam wedge to cover the seat belt so it doesn't bother your child's back. In some cases however, the seat belt can interfere with the harness, as shown here http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=138838 this appears to be a vehicle incompatibility issue, maybe somebody has a ProSport and a Sedona to check into it for you.

jjordan

I'd go with a ProSport! I really like ours. (It's installed with a lap belt and no issues, although I did use lap/shoulder installation in my mom's civic without a problem.)

purplemama

So I guess a Prosport would also work timeline wise. DS2 could use it now till DD is 4 (he'll be 7) then she could use it till 7, then it would be expired.

Hmmmm.........

firemomof3

The ProSport installs quick/easy in the 3rd row of my Sedona :love: And I've been using a seatbelt install in my dh's truck for the past 6mo. and ds hasn't complained but ya, you can just get the wedge from Recaro if needed. Plus, the ProSport make an awesome booster...I think you should get one :p
If you want I can get some pics tomorrow of the ProSport in my Sedona.

purplemama

The ProSport installs quick/easy in the 3rd row of my Sedona :love: And I've been using a seatbelt install in my dh's truck for the past 6mo. and ds hasn't complained but ya, you can just get the wedge from Recaro if needed. Plus, the ProSport make an awesome booster...I think you should get one :p
If you want I can get some pics tomorrow of the ProSport in my Sedona.

OMG, pics of the Prosport in your Sedona would be great!! Thank you sooo much!!

firemomof3

I have these but its in the captain seat. The ProSport is in dh's truck and he'll be home tomorrow so I'll get the 3rd pics for you tomorrow.

This model still rides rear facing, she just wanted to try the seat out. You can see how the ProSport installs so nicely and flush against the vehicle seat
IMG_0536.jpg

Here is dd2
IMG_0208.jpg

Makes a great booster
IMG_0209.jpg

purplemama

I have these but its in the captain seat. The ProSport is in dh's truck and he'll be home tomorrow so I'll get the 3rd pics for you tomorrow.

You're awesome!! Thanks!

Do you find that when the vehicle headrest in removed in the 3rd row that some FF seats kinda tilt to the side because one side of the back of the car seat goes into the indent from the headrest? I know it's not a safety issue if the seat is installed correctly but I find it annoying with some seats.

firemomof3

You're awesome!! Thanks!

Do you find that when the vehicle headrest in removed in the 3rd row that some FF seats kinda tilt to the side because one side of the back of the car seat goes into the indent from the headrest? I know it's not a safety issue if the seat is installed correctly but I find it annoying with some seats.

I don't think so but a seat tilting doesn't really bother me, so I've never payed much attention to that. And if your ever needing to get 3 across the 3rd row you might want to give the Radian with the angle adjuster a serious thought because it fits great in that little space drives side outboard ;)

purplemama

I don't think so but a seat tilting doesn't really bother me, so I've never payed much attention to that. And if your ever needing to get 3 across the 3rd row you might want to give the Radian with the angle adjuster a serious thought because it fits great in that little space drives side outboard ;)

Little space drivers side outboard? :confused: In my 3rd row it's a 60/40 split with the pass. side the 40 and the drivers side the 60. From what I can tell it's the middle that's little? IDK, maybe I just look at it different?

Lemonade

Normally I would never see the point of getting a convertible for a child that age, but for the reasons you want it, the size of your child, and the additional child on the way, it might be a good idea. The My Ride is also very reclined FF but I'm not sure of the max harness height on that off-hand.

purplemama

Normally I would never see the point of getting a convertible for a child that age, but for the reasons you want it, the size of your child, and the additional child on the way, it might be a good idea. The My Ride is also very reclined FF but I'm not sure of the max harness height on that off-hand.

I had the MR for a bit recently (sold it) and he slept great in it but he's so skinny that there was still a few inches between him and the crotch strap and he slumped down leaving space between him bum and the seat. And started to complain of back pain. He's so skinny that if he weren't potty trained he'd fit fine in a size 3 diaper. It was a bummer, I liked the MR. But I knew if both my littles were to skinny for it then chances are the next little will be too.

abigaylebelle

I think the blvd70 would fit your needs well since you have a couple of younger children who could use it after your ds. I've found it supportive forward facing and my 5 year old has gone on a few long trips in it and slept fine. He hasn't complained about leg support, but he is pretty short (41").
I guess which seat also depends on when you'll switch him to a booster. If you want to harness for more than 1-2 years I would get a bigger seat like the prosport, nautilus, frontier85.

I do not know where in Michigan you are but if you are anywhere near Lansing, I have both a ProSport and Frontier that you can play with to see what will work best in your situation. They are currently sitting in my Living Room waiting for me to decide what I am going to install for yds. I also have a Radian if you wanted to play with that but it is currently installed in dh's van.

firemomof3

OK so here is the ProSport in the passengers side outboard 3rd row of the Sedona. Quick/easy/rock solid install. The seat belt sticks out a bit but again, the wedge is available if it bothers your child.

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

purplemama

OK so here is the ProSport in the passengers side outboard 3rd row of the Sedona. Quick/easy/rock solid install. The seat belt sticks out a bit but again, the wedge is available if it bothers your child.

Thanks so much for taking those pics for me!! I'm still undecided :eek:. But you've been incredibly helpful!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC