Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Key Fit 30 neck pads/strap covers

Do they have to be used?

Just brought our new daughter home from the hospital. When I was putting her in her infant seat the strap covers seemed to overwhelm her, they just seemed too bulky. So I took them off. I double checked the manual and I can't seem to find if they mention if they have to be used or not.

She's just shy of 8 pounds so she isn't teeny tiny. I assume in a couple weeks when she gets a bit stronger etc that I'll be able to put them back on, but I just can't imagine her being comfortable in them right now.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Key Fit 30 neck pads/strap covers

Nope, not required I like them on so that when I tighten the straps they don't rub on her neck, they just slide through the strap covers. With DD2 (the first time I had a Keyfit) I took them off at first, but put them back on fairly quickly when I realized how nice they were for the above reason. With DD3 I never took them off at all. Oh and they were both smaller. 7 lbs 11 oz, and 6 lbs 8 oz.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Carseat Crazy

We kept ours on too just bc it seemed like the straps rubbed their necks when taken off. My kiddos wet 7 lb 13 oz and 6 lb 12 oz. I did have them off for a while when our youngest was about 9 months old bc they were in the wash and my dd ended up with red marks on her neck from the strap rubbing.
    ~*~Lizz...Mommy to:~*~
    DS#1: 6 years (9/08), 46 in., 45 lb, FF in a Britax Frontier 90
    DD#1: 4 years (11/10), 38 in, 34lb, RF in a Diono radian r120

Unregistered

We used ours, my daughter was probably 4 1/2 - 5lbs when we started using the KeyFit. It was fine for us. I think in general seat belts seem to overwhelm newborns.

I took ours off for the first couple months. They just seemed to take up too much room on her tiny body and I wanted to be sure the straps were on her shoulders all the way. DD came home at 4lbs, 13oz. The straps without them never bothered DD, but we did put them on after she filled out a little bit.