Illegal to sell used seats??

love-pink

Im located in Michigan and we have a local yard sale fb page...

People are going crazy over nasty used seats. :thumbsdown: Whatever, I ignore it.... now today they are going crazy posting saying its straight illegal to sell ANY used seat in Michigan :eek::confused::eek:

One chick even claims shes called the state police and they told her that.

Any truth to this??

Here is the page:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/270377736328959/

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are they somehow getting confused by the new rules (you can't) around selling/giving/loaning of seats certified to the older set of crash test standards in Canada (referred to as non-compliant seats, or 2012 crash test standards)? That's my only guess. I know nothing about Michigan's rules about that!

Lenae

As far as I know, it's illegal to sell crashed and expired seats, but not illegal to sell used seats. Otherwise a lot of us would be breaking the law.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Lenae said:
As far as I know, it's illegal to sell crashed and expired seats, but not illegal to sell used seats. Otherwise a lot of us would be breaking the law.

It depends entirely on the state. California has a law against selling crashed seats. No law on expired ones. I think most states don't have any law at all.

I'm not familiar with Michigan, but if I had to guess, I'd go with legal.

swtgi1982

I would assume the use of such expired seats is illegal in MI due to proper usage clause here. There is however no law about selling them. And a crashed seat by any manufacture who requires replacement after a crash would be illegal to use as well. But we have no law against selling them. I think they are confused since a few years back the state tried to ban resale shops from selling them for legal liability reasons. But not sure that ever became a law. As far a personal sales by sure. Which yard sale site locally is this? I got kicked off one for telling the admins the seats for sale were recalled or expired.

love-pink

Where would I be able to find out? This chick is saying she "called the state police and the carseat inspector told her its allegal", shes also claiming the "carseat inspector checks over expired seats and okays them for further use" :rolleyes:

Qarin

You're not going to be able to find a law that allows the sale of used car seats- laws (generally) disallow things; since there is not a law in Michigan that regulates the sale of used car seats you aren't going to find proof that it (doesn't) exist.

I am reminded of this xkcd comic:

What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC