Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Illegal to sell used seats??

Im located in Michigan and we have a local yard sale fb page...

People are going crazy over nasty used seats. Whatever, I ignore it.... now today they are going crazy posting saying its straight illegal to sell ANY used seat in Michigan

One chick even claims shes called the state police and they told her that.

Any truth to this??

Here is the page:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/270377736328959/

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

Re: Illegal to sell used seats??

Are they somehow getting confused by the new rules (you can't) around selling/giving/loaning of seats certified to the older set of crash test standards in Canada (referred to as non-compliant seats, or 2012 crash test standards)? That's my only guess. I know nothing about Michigan's rules about that!
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

4. Thank You from:

As far as I know, it's illegal to sell crashed and expired seats, but not illegal to sell used seats. Otherwise a lot of us would be breaking the law.

Colton 12/21/07 48" 46 lbs- Performance Booster and ProBooster
    Cheyenne 01/05/10 39" 35 lbs- RXT and Pria

6. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenae
    As far as I know, it's illegal to sell crashed and expired seats, but not illegal to sell used seats. Otherwise a lot of us would be breaking the law.
    It depends entirely on the state. California has a law against selling crashed seats. No law on expired ones. I think most states don't have any law at all.

I'm not familiar with Michigan, but if I had to guess, I'd go with legal.

8. Thank You from:

I would assume the use of such expired seats is illegal in MI due to proper usage clause here. There is however no law about selling them. And a crashed seat by any manufacture who requires replacement after a crash would be illegal to use as well. But we have no law against selling them. I think they are confused since a few years back the state tried to ban resale shops from selling them for legal liability reasons. But not sure that ever became a law. As far a personal sales by sure. Which yard sale site locally is this? I got kicked off one for telling the admins the seats for sale were recalled or expired.
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting

10. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

Where would I be able to find out? This chick is saying she "called the state police and the carseat inspector told her its allegal", shes also claiming the "carseat inspector checks over expired seats and okays them for further use"

You're not going to be able to find a law that allows the sale of used car seats- laws (generally) disallow things; since there is not a law in Michigan that regulates the sale of used car seats you aren't going to find proof that it (doesn't) exist.

I am reminded of this xkcd comic:

What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

13. Thank You from: