Harnessed Booster vs Convertible Seat

sbradbury

DS is 5yo and 33lbs. He is currently in a Britax Marathon but we are needing to get 3 seats in our vehicle so this will be replaced. I am considering switching him to a harnessed booster but wanted to know if there were any safety concerns with this vs a traditional convertible seat? If that is a good option, recommendations for narrow harnessed boosters? Thanks!

ADS

sbradbury

It might be helpful to know that our car is a Nissan Altima and the other seats in the back are a Evenflo Tribute for our 22lb 2.5yo daughter and a Chicco KeyFit for the baby on the way.

babyherder

As long as your child is forward facing a convertible seat and a harnessed booster are both equally safe choices. Is your 2.5y/o forward facing or rear facing?

Brianna

Are you able to go to a Babies R Us or other store that will let you test-install before you buy? I would look at the Maestro for him first.

Is your 2.5 yo still rear facing?

Jan06twinmom

I agree that both a convertible or harness booster would be good options for your DS.

I would look at the Evenflo Maestro. However, you might also want to look at the Radian. The Radian is very narrow and works for 3 across situations well. I think you'll get a lot of use out of the Radian over the years as you need to pass along seats.

Melanie

sbradbury

2.5yo is still rear-facing and will be for awhile. We only have Target and Walmart locally but are considering a road trip that would provide many more options. Thanks for the suggestions!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The only advantage to getting a convertible for your 5 year old at this point (unless you wanted to rear-face him, which I guess at his size could be an option but not many people in the US rear-face kids that age) would be to pass it down to your younger child later as a rear-facing seat.

A forward facing harness is a forward facing harness, though, and when used in that position there is zero difference between a convertible used forward facing and a seat that only faces forward. :)

Normally I'd say you'd get more use out of a forward-facing only seat because they tend to last longer, but your 5 year old is so small there are several options for convertible seats that will be fine until you are ready to put him in a belt positioning booster (opinions vary on this but my opinion is that it's best to keep him in a harness until he hits the 40 lb mark; at his age and size that probably won't be until he's around seven, and he should be more than old enough for a booster by then). I don't think you're going to really need the higher-capacity options you can get from a forward-facing seat, and generally speaking a dedicated booster is usually a better fit for most families, cars, and children compared to a combo harness/booster seat used in booster mode. So really what I'm saying is: Get the seat you like that is tall enough to get your DS to the 40 lb mark, and don't worry too much about whether it is a convertible or a forward-facing only seat.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
You could put the 5y in a narrow convertible like the radian or complete air and hand it down when the 2y or baby need it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC