Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Harnessed Booster vs Convertible Seat

DS is 5yo and 33lbs. He is currently in a Britax Marathon but we are needing to get 3 seats in our vehicle so this will be replaced. I am considering switching him to a harnessed booster but wanted to know if there were any safety concerns with this vs a traditional convertible seat? If that is a good option, recommendations for narrow harnessed boosters? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Harnessed Booster vs Convertible Seat

It might be helpful to know that our car is a Nissan Altima and the other seats in the back are a Evenflo Tribute for our 22lb 2.5yo daughter and a Chicco KeyFit for the baby on the way.

CPS Fanatic

As long as your child is forward facing a convertible seat and a harnessed booster are both equally safe choices. Is your 2.5y/o forward facing or rear facing?

Are you able to go to a Babies R Us or other store that will let you test-install before you buy? I would look at the Maestro for him first.

Is your 2.5 yo still rear facing?

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

CPS Fanatic

I agree that both a convertible or harness booster would be good options for your DS.

I would look at the Evenflo Maestro. However, you might also want to look at the Radian. The Radian is very narrow and works for 3 across situations well. I think you'll get a lot of use out of the Radian over the years as you need to pass along seats.

Melanie

2.5yo is still rear-facing and will be for awhile. We only have Target and Walmart locally but are considering a road trip that would provide many more options. Thanks for the suggestions!

The only advantage to getting a convertible for your 5 year old at this point (unless you wanted to rear-face him, which I guess at his size could be an option but not many people in the US rear-face kids that age) would be to pass it down to your younger child later as a rear-facing seat.

A forward facing harness is a forward facing harness, though, and when used in that position there is zero difference between a convertible used forward facing and a seat that only faces forward.

Normally I'd say you'd get more use out of a forward-facing only seat because they tend to last longer, but your 5 year old is so small there are several options for convertible seats that will be fine until you are ready to put him in a belt positioning booster (opinions vary on this but my opinion is that it's best to keep him in a harness until he hits the 40 lb mark; at his age and size that probably won't be until he's around seven, and he should be more than old enough for a booster by then). I don't think you're going to really need the higher-capacity options you can get from a forward-facing seat, and generally speaking a dedicated booster is usually a better fit for most families, cars, and children compared to a combo harness/booster seat used in booster mode. So really what I'm saying is: Get the seat you like that is tall enough to get your DS to the 40 lb mark, and don't worry too much about whether it is a convertible or a forward-facing only seat.
    Mom to 2 adult boys and 2 little girls.
    Giant 5 year old in FR85 & Pinnacle; Petite toddler in Complete Air & CCO.

CPS Technician
    You could put the 5y in a narrow convertible like the radian or complete air and hand it down when the 2y or baby need it.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)