I have spares again!

StillThankful

After selling many car seats, I was proud of myself. I had no more spares.

Then.....the inevitable happened! I made three impulsive purchases:

1. Britax Frontier 85 WAYFAIR Clearance seat (2011 DOM)
2. TFP (rebound) KOHL'S Clearance seat (2010 DOM)
3. Evenflo Secure Kid 400 SEARS' seat during a sale (2011 DOM--assuming the DOM b/c it hasn't been delivered yet)

Ugghhhh....now I have 3 spares all over again!

In addition to the seats listed above, I also own an EFTA 50 (2010 DOM w/ 8 year exp date), EFTA 65 (2011 DOM), Graco MR (2009 DOM), and a RNXTSL (2009 DOM).

Thinking of giving one seat to MIL, who is in MD, to use for my husband's niece when she keeps her and for DD2 when we visit--most likely will give her the MR 65. I'm also going to give her a booster (Evenflo Big Kid Booster--Heart Scribbles) to use for DD1 when we visit.

Then I'll be left with 2 spares--the 2 EFTAs. DH :love:s the EFTA b/c of the adjuster knobs--I want to keep them when DD2 turns FF. However, I also love the TFP for the lock offs--my 94 accord doesn't have the automatic retractor seatbelts & using the locking clips suck :(.

Decisions.....decisions.....through it all.....I still get a hoot and thrill on getting car seats....go figure....:p This is definitely a self-induced issue, so I'm a little embarrassed.:eek:

What do you guys do with your spares? Do you feel guilty about not using the spares and them going to waist?

What makes me feel better is that I didn't really invest a lot of money in the car seats except for the RNXTSL--I did pay $$$ for that one.

ADS

lovemybabies924

I need a seat for my car, DH car, my moms car... The seat for DH car is the true spare because it's not installed most of the time

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

StillThankful

I need a seat for my car, DH car, my moms car... The seat for DH car is the true spare because it's not installed most of the time

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

One spare isn't that bad at all. In fact, I like having one spare in those "just in case" moments. I actually purchased one of the above-mentioned car seats for my mom's car but....let's just say that her vehicle is full of treasures and the seat won't fit.:p

aeormsby

I'm in the process of retiring my MA's. I feel better about the number of seats I'll have when they're gone. Basically we'll end up with 2 HBB's for DD used in our vehicles, 2 FR's for DS to use, and an extra LBB & our Safeguard GO for spares/travel. I didn't really like having good seats sitting around not being used. And they take up so much space (a LBB & folded GO are much easier to store!)

Have fun deciding what to do with your spares!!

cmcki737

I currently have no spares and it is a total PITA when we drive with someone else I have to uninstall and then reinstall after have to do the same in the other persons car! I actually think at least one spare per child is a good rule of thumb...

StillThankful

I actually think at least one spare per child is a good rule of thumb...

Honestly, that makes me feel much better! I think I'm keeping the EFTAs-Dh already told me that we're keeping them.:p

I'm trying to sell off a bunch of mine, but it's not going well.

I hope things change for the better quickly. ;) I think CSO should have a "rent-a-seat" where we all pool together and just pass them on within a certain time, then we can all try the "latest and greatest" without going broke!:p

ElfJewel

We have lots of spares (my garage is full of them). We have 5 seats in my car, 3 seats in DH's car, a spare MyRide for Emi, Maestro for Ian, HBTB for Jamie, literiders for Megan and Kayls, A Frontier for M when she goes in a car with no headrests or K when we go on a trip and she needs to be harnessed, K's old (almost outgrown) Nautilus, J's broken Nautilus, and a spare nbtb (for when the literiders don't fit like in my mom's truck), and J's old Radian (I don't like it FF in my car so we are planning put it in DH truck when he gets one). We started out thinking one spare per kid but it has grown a little bit :eek:

StillThankful

We have lots of spares (my garage is full of them). We have 5 seats in my car, 3 seats in DH's car, a spare MyRide for Emi, Maestro for Ian, HBTB for Jamie, literiders for Megan and Kayls, A Frontier for M when she goes in a car with no headrests or K when we go on a trip and she needs to be harnessed, K's old (almost outgrown) Nautilus, J's broken Nautilus, and a spare nbtb (for when the literiders don't fit like in my mom's truck), and J's old Radian (I don't like it FF in my car so we are planning put it in DH truck when he gets one). We started out thinking one spare per kid but it has grown a little bit :eek:

Now that's what I'm talking about!;) :thumbsup:

I now feel comfortable keeping 2 spares, b/c I dislike having to uninstall seats for a "Spur of the moment" trip with someone else. It's very convenient as you know.

Since DH wants to keep the EFTAs, I now have to figure out which seat to give to MIL--MR 65, TFP, or RNXTSL. I'm leaning towards the MR b/c I just bought the TFP not too long ago and the RNXTSL lasts for a long time Rfing.

NannyMom

Now that's what I'm talking about!;) :thumbsup:

I now feel comfortable keeping 2 spares, b/c I dislike having to uninstall seats for a "Spur of the moment" trip with someone else. It's very convenient as you know.

Since DH wants to keep the EFTAs, I now have to figure out which seat to give to MIL--MR 65, TFP, or RNXTSL. I'm leaning towards the MR b/c I just bought the TFP not too long ago and the RNXTSL lasts for a long time Rfing.

You should keep all your seats. Buy my XTSL and give to MIL. perfect solution ;)

christineka

I counted 10 booster seats, currently in my possession. I have 2 kids who regularly ride in boosters and sometimes keep up to 2 in the car. I don't need 10 of them!!! 2 will expire soon. One was lent out and finally returned. Another was given to me by a trusted friend and I intend to pass it on to another friend, who has the same booster, only expired, which I know, because I gave her the seat.

I also have 2 rstvs and one spare harnessed seat, which I don't need because I have 5 kids who can ride in a booster. Then again, maybe I really do need a spare harnessed seat.

I also have 3 demo seats (one is expired) and 4 expired, yucky seats in my garage, waiting for me to take them to recycling.

StillThankful

I counted 10 booster seats, currently in my possession. I have 2 kids who regularly ride in boosters and sometimes keep up to 2 in the car. I don't need 10 of them!!! 2 will expire soon. One was lent out and finally returned. Another was given to me by a trusted friend and I intend to pass it on to another friend, who has the same booster, only expired, which I know, because I gave her the seat.

I also have 2 rstvs and one spare harnessed seat, which I don't need because I have 5 kids who can ride in a booster. Then again, maybe I really do need a spare harnessed seat.

I also have 3 demo seats (one is expired) and 4 expired, yucky seats in my garage, waiting for me to take them to recycling.

Using the CSO formula, you are allowed to have at least 6 spares for your 6 kids:);) That's our story and we are sticking to it!:D:p BTW, of course you need a spare harnessed seat;). Seriously, even when both my DDs are boostered, I think I'll always keep a harnessed seat around for small kiddos that I may transport from time to time.

christineka

Seriously, even when both my DDs are boostered, I think I'll always keep a harnessed seat around for small kiddos that I may transport from time to time.

I have visions of needing to transport other people's small kids, but so far, the youngest kid I've transported that wasn't my own kid has been 8 years old. Maybe things will change in my future, though! I planned out my family's future car seat needs. To get all my kids to seatbelt alone, I only need to purchase 2 high back and a few backless boosters. The frontier will expire when my baby is 11 years old.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I like having spares. I have combos that can fit all the kids in just about any car-even my almost-step-mom's RAV 4. I was able to lend safe seats to a friend whose grandkids were in town. I was able to lend a seat to me niece each time she flew down before she turned 2 so there was no risk her seat would get checked. I can also use them for demos when needed. I've gotten rid of some seats as they were outgrown, but I'll never get rod of all of them!

robbertbobbert

Haha I have 6 (soon to be 8) car seats and no kids. I like it, because I babysit 12 different kids and none of them use appropriate restraints with their parents, so I have the seats they need.

Also, I'm lending my CCO out for a few months while my friend saves up for one herself. She's 38 weeks 6 days, so unless she goes into labor tonight, she's picking it up in the morning.

I lend out seats when my friends babysit also. It's nice.

Laurelz

I have no spares and 2 kids and it's making me crazy! I sold all our spare because they really didnt get used much. But now I WANT spares.

StillThankful

I have visions of needing to transport other people's small kids, but so far, the youngest kid I've transported that wasn't my own kid has been 8 years old. .

LOL! Same here.:p I haven't had to transport any child that was younger than DD1 thus far. However, I was glad to have had a spare convertible seat for him at the time.

I like having spares. I have combos that can fit all the kids in just about any car-even my almost-step-mom's RAV 4. I was able to lend safe seats to a friend whose grandkids were in town. I was able to lend a seat to me niece each time she flew down before she turned 2 so there was no risk her seat would get checked.

I'm such a fan of yours KQ for obvious reasons! :D You have your own "Lend-a-Seat" Program!:p

Yes! The benefits of helping others with spare seats are awesome. I gave my goddaughter's mother a seat (a 2008 BLVD that I got from a trusted friend) for safety reasons. She had her daughter in a Scenera w/ the straps so twisted that the harness wouldn't tighten. I figured that the BLVD harness straps wouldn't twist as much...so far so good. :thumbsup:

Haha I have 6 (soon to be 8) car seats and no kids. I like it, because I babysit 12 different kids and none of them use appropriate restraints with their parents, so I have the seats they need.

Also, I'm lending my CCO out for a few months while my friend saves up for one herself. She's 38 weeks 6 days, so unless she goes into labor tonight, she's picking it up in the morning.

I lend out seats when my friends babysit also. It's nice.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of good w/ all those seats!:) Wow....very generous and thoughtful of you!:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC