Tomorrow! Flipping buckle on airplane seatbelt?

Dorothy

I keep reading to flip the buckle on the plane seatbelt when installing the carseats so that we can get the belt unbuckled to deplane. Can someone please explain this to me further? I searched for just a second, but I didn't see what I was looking for. Bonus points if anyone has any visual aids!

I need to have this all lined out in my head beforehand. TIA

Sent from my phone using the app :)

ADS

MomToEliEm

What seat are you planning to take with you? For some seats like the older Britax seats, you needed to flip, but other seats with an open belt path, you don't need to flip.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:
If you DO have a seat with closed belt path, an extender is an even easier solution.

If they'll give you one :rolleyes: I asked for one once. The flight attendant said they didn't have any. I asked if they don't use them in their pre-flight presentation. She said yes, but they need those. :rolleyes:

Dorothy

Sorry. I was out installing seats in DH's pickup.

MomToEliEm said:
What seat are you planning to take with you? For some seats like the older Britax seats, you needed to flip, but other seats with an open belt path, you don't need to flip.

I had planned on taking the Ave, but I cannot fit that sucker rfing behind the passenger seat in DH's ext cab. Even at 30*, I was basically in the glove compartment. And we will be in another ext cab at our destination. So, I put the RA55 in. I could have used the Ave center and put DD's Maestro outboard. Ugh! What would you do?

ketchupqueen said:
If you DO have a seat with closed belt path, an extender is an even easier solution.

Ok. Will ask for an extender. If they say no, how do I need to situate the buckle?

LISmama810 said:
If they'll give you one :rolleyes: I asked for one once. The flight attendant said they didn't have any. I asked if they don't use them in their pre-flight presentation. She said yes, but they need those. :rolleyes:

This is why I have to plan ahead!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
RA55 has an open belt path. You don't need to flip, or get an extender. It's primarily for the old style Britax seats forward facing, and the Combi Coccoro forward facing.

Wendy

Dorothy

wendytthomas said:
RA55 has an open belt path. You don't need to flip, or get an extender. It's primarily for the old style Britax seats forward facing, and the Combi Coccoro forward facing.

Wendy

But we will also have a Maestro. Open or closed? I know I just had my hand in there, but I cannot recall. I'm losing my mind...

Will they give me any grief for rfing a 2 yo in the RA55? (ETA- Bc I think DS will be happier rfing.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Maestro has an open path.

I've been given grief in the past about rear facing my older kids, but only once with Laine, and it was remarkably minor. "How heavy is she?" "Twenty three pounds, the seat is rated to 33 pounds rear facing." "Ok, as long as she's ok in the weight range." Versus, "How heavy is she?" "She's 21 pounds." "You're going to kill her by having her rear facing." "Her seat goes to 33 pounds." "Doesn't matter, she can't rear face after 20 pounds." Lovely how ERF has even extended to planes. :)

Wendy

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
No need to flip with a Maestro either so don't worry about it. But the kids in the Maestro will likely have a bulky metal latchplate right in the middle of his/her back so bring a little receiving blanket or something that you can fold up and put in between there in case they complain.

Also, if you have any problem getting a tight install you can recline the aircraft seat first, buckle and snug up the seatbelt, then force the aircraft seat back into the fully upright position. Works like a charm.

As for RF a 2 year old - you can never guess what the flight attendants will or won't give you grief over but if they really give you a hard time I wouldn't worry too much about turning the seat FF just for the flight.

Have a great trip!

Dorothy

wendytthomas said:
Maestro has an open path.

I've been given grief in the past about rear facing my older kids, but only once with Laine, and it was remarkably minor. "How heavy is she?" "Twenty three pounds, the seat is rated to 33 pounds rear facing." "Ok, as long as she's ok in the weight range." Versus, "How heavy is she?" "She's 21 pounds." "You're going to kill her by having her rear facing." "Her seat goes to 33 pounds." "Doesn't matter, she can't rear face after 20 pounds." Lovely how ERF has even extended to planes. :)

Wendy

Thank you! I hope its a super easy trip all around!

Thanks, again, everyone. :)

Dorothy

Kecia said:
No need to flip with a Maestro either so don't worry about it. But the kids in the Maestro will likely have a bulky metal latchplate right in the middle of his/her back so bring a little receiving blanket or something that you can fold up and put in between there in case they complain.

Also, if you have any problem getting a tight install you can recline the aircraft seat first, buckle and snug up the seatbelt, then force the aircraft seat back into the fully upright position. Works like a charm.

As for RF a 2 year old - you can never guess what the flight attendants will or won't give you grief over but if they really give you a hard time I wouldn't worry too much about turning the seat FF just for the flight.

Have a great trip!

Thank you for the padding tip! Our first flight is right at naptime, so I was hoping to rf DS for better napping. Hopefully we can get DD comfy, too.

squishles10

Sorry to butt in, but I'm taking what I think is an old style Britax ona plane (last Diplomat before the DQd them). I could also use a visual on what the flipping means. This si the first I've heard of it. Thanks!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't have a picture, but here's your basic airplane seatbelt. The issue with them is that if you buckle in your Britax, when you go to leave, the angle is just wrong to get the seatbelt unbuckled, as the plastic on the seat gets in the way of lifting the metal tab on the seatbelt. But, if you flip the big bulky part of the belt over 180*, it will open the other way, where there is no plastic blocking it.

Dorothy

Just wanted to thank everyone again. We had a good trip. Some highlights for your amusement:

DD (4) screaming "I can see the whole world!"

DS insisting on pulling his own wheely backpack everywhere.

Judging from the hysterical laughter that replaced the panicked crying, giant bubble gum bubbles are a great distraction from descent-induced ear pressure.

An RA55 sidewing is an awesome place for a travel-weary mama on Dramamine to rest her heavy head.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm glad you had a good trip! I spent a few trips cuddled up to seats myself, and I must say the Complete Air was very nice to sleep on!

Byron

Sorry to jump in here,

I was planning to buy a Maestro to take on a transatlantic flight for my 2.5yr old (currently in a MA). I noticed the comment about the strap buckle digging into the back and needing padding.

As I have an 8hr overnight flight i am now unsure about getting this seat. Can anyone comment on how much the buckle affects the use of the seat.

TIA

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Kids may or may not care. The Radian installs the same way, with the buckle at the back, and my daughter slept seven hours straight on a transpacific flight at 4.5 years old.

If your child fits rear facing in the Marathon, though, I'd do that instead of forward facing in anything. Far more comfortable for sleeping, and no kicking the person in front of them.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC