Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Flying w/ 3.5yo and 18mo (Delta)

We will be flying to California this summer. DS currently rides harnessed in a FR85 and DD is in a RF TFP. I've already decided that I'm not bringing her TFP- it's way too big/heavy. I'm either going to use her SafeSeat (she should still fit) or borrow my sister's Scenera and FF her on the plane but RF in car at our destination.

Is there anything I need to know about flying with these seats? We'll be taking a shuttle bus from the airport to our hotel. We won't be driving at all for the first few days. Then we're renting a car and driving to a new destination for a few more days. It might even be worth it to me to purchase a spare Scenera for DS to use (lighter than the FR85). It can be a back-up seat after we return from the trip.

Anything I'm not considering?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Flying w/ 3.5yo and 18mo (Delta)

The Scenera is pretty short; how tall is your son in the torso? A Maestro would be a longer-lasting budget choice both height- and weight-wise, and would still be easier to travel with than the Frontier. Another option is to take the Frontier and strap it to a suitcase or luggage cart for transport; easier to get through the airport, though still wider and heavier on the plane.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I did not think about that. The Scenera would get future use by DD in MIL's van so it wouldn't be too big of a deal, but I will look at a Maestro though.

Any cars to watch out for when we rent that either a Scenera or FR85 don't install well?

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

There are some cars where a FR might be difficult, but if your child is under 40 lbs you can definitely use LATCH so that wouldn't matter as much... The Scenera I'd throw a towel in your carryon, to use for recline if needed.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!