Question Harness in untethered spot

mamakc

Is it acceptable to use a frontier 85 installed lbp in an untethered spot?

Child in question is 5 yo, 41", 41lbs.

I'm once again trying to find the best arrangement for my vehicle. I have two kids (5 & 3)and my niece (19 mo) who ride with me regularly. I also babysit another 3 year old with the same stats as my 5 yo. I have a seven passenger vehicle, but the middle row is a bench, so I need to be able to flip it to get all the kids in. The third row only has two seats, but one tether. I think the best arrangement is to turn ds(3) FF and put him in the third row with DD(5). Dn rf in the second row, leaving most of the bench empty to flip for access. When I watch the other 3yo she can use dd's seat and dd can use a booster in the second row. However, that scenario means I have to stick a harnessed seat in an untethered spot. Is there another arrangement I'm not thinking of?

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Can you put DS3 in a RFing spot untethered bank there? Or DN?

The Frontier only has to be tethered above 65lb IIRC (check your manual to verify, and I know the SICT is different,) but I wouldn't leave it untethered unless there was absolutely no other option.

mamakc

I could put one of them rf in the untethered spot, but here are the challenges: only the radian with the angle adjuster fits. I'm not confident that it is ab acceptable installation because the AA sinks in over time and the back of the radian ends up resting on the top of the second row. Also it is very difficult to get either kid in or out of the seat, and ds may have out grown the radian rf, I need to check, but he was very close to the 1.5 inches last time he used it. Dn sleeps in the car a lot so I would rather not put her in a difficult spot to get in and out.

NVMBR02

Do you have a 60/40 split bench center? Can you put your DS in the Radian with another narrow seat for your DN Rfing in the center 60 portion and have the 40 part for 3rd row access. Then DD in the frontier in the third row using the booster in the untethered spot when you have the other child?

Pixels

Yes, using the Frontier untethered for a child under 65 pounds is perfectly acceptable. Having a tether would make that child more safe, but without a tether the child will be no less safe than a properly used booster.

mamakc

Mommyto2 said:
Do you have a 60/40 split bench center?
yes
Mommyto2 said:
Can you put your DS in the Radian with another narrow seat for your DN Rfing in the center 60 portion and have the 40 part for 3rd row access. Then DD in the frontier in the third row using the booster in the untethered spot when you have the other child?
Short answer is no. Long answer will have me going off on a tangent about the stupid plastic hinges that make it impossible to put most rf seats in the center of the second row. Plus I would have to buy a cco and I don't want to buy another car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC