What kind of car do you drive?

AustinMusic

Currently we have a 2005 Ford Focus (Hatchback), a 2006 Cadillac CTS and 2007 Fiat Panda. In both the Focus and the Cadillac we use an E-Z-On Vest in the passenger side rear seat.

Installing the mounting systems for the vests was relatively easy in both vehicles. We have the floor mount in the Cadilliac for two reasons - firstly because virtually all boot (trunk) space would be lost using the tether mount as the only suitable tether location is right at the rear of the boot and therefore the tethers would stretch all the way across the boot. Secondly a very solid part of the chassis is easily accessible in the seat bight and provides a good mounting spot for the heavy duty tether anchors.

In the Focus we have the opposite problem. We use the tether mount as firstly, it is slightly easier to use than the floor mount and secondly because the only suitable locations for the tether anchors are right at the rear of the boot (to help get the tether at the required 45°). There are no suitable locations nearer the seat to use the floor mount and we don't require the additional features the floor mount could offer.

Hopefully soon we will get round to installing a tether anchor in the Panda so the vest can be used in all 3 cars.

ADS

noahsmom24

Overall we're pretty happy with the '08 xB. We like that it has standard side curtain and front side torso airbags, stability control, and enough head room for freakishly long torsoed DH with its boxy shape. I really like driving it and it's very easy to park around town compared to the Sienna in the tighter parking spaces in parking garages or at newer parking lots with tinier parking spaces. It's a bit of a gas hog for a small car IMHO due to its 3250 lb. curb weight, cubicle-like shape (DH jokingly calls it his cubicle on wheels :p) and ~150+ HP 2.4L engine. Previous gen. xBs (pre-2008 models) had smaller engines and lighter weights with correspondingly better mpg, but didn't have side curtain airbags and had poor IIHS side impact crash scores. I get mid-20s mpg at best in mixed driving in our '08 xB, low 20s mpg in all city driving, and 28-29 mpg at best on the highway. I can get 25-26 mpg on the highway in our Sienna, and only 17-19 mpg on average in the city (another reason why I like to drive the xB around town if possible for the city gas mileage savings over time). I haven't installed a Frontier in the xB, but a Regent installed just fine in the rear center using the seatbelt and I'd expect a Frontier would install there, too. There are 2 full sets of LATCH outboard, and like parent brand Toyota, LATCH borrowing is not allowed for the center. Tether anchors are located on the rear seatback for each rear seating position.

Funny you ask about repairs. Until late last week, I would have said no repairs other than regular maintenance like oil changes, and replacing some adverse road condition damage/wear and tear. The xB had a cracked windshield from a freeway stone/grael chip a year or two ago that wasn't the car's fault, and a bent standard steel wheel rim last year thanks to a pothole. The windshield was covered by our car insurance minus the deductible, and the bent rim was ~$50 to replace using an extra, new standard steel wheel pulled from a new xB whose buyer upgraded to optional alloy wheels at the Toyota dealership prior to taking delivery of the vehicle (this extra wheel swap situation was the Toyota/Scion dealership's unprompted suggestion to save us $ on the wheel replacement, surprisingly). Otherwise it would have been about $150 for the wheel replacement since the xB was out of warranty by that time. Speaking of insurance, it's slightly higher to fully insure the xB than our Sienna, not all that surprising for a newer and smaller car I suppose. New tires were necessary on the xB about a year ago at 20K-something miles. The original OEM Bridgestones all season tires were disappointingly very worn at that mileage. :(

Last week an actual issue not related to potholes, wimpy OEM tires, or loose stones/gravel on the freeway popped up when the ABS, Brake and VSC (vehicle stability control) dashboard "idiot" lights stayed on to signal a problem on after the normal initial idiot light display sequence at startup. Diagnostics at the dealership indicated a short in the wiring for the rear wheel sensors (part of the VSC system) and the dealership needed to order parts to replace the wiring. I was scheduled to bring it back in today to replace the wiring for an estimated $352 (goodbye tax return $, ack!) but we're all sick with respiratory flu crud and I rescheduled taking the car back in later this week. Comparably speaking, our 2005 Sienna has 40K miles on it and hasn't needed anything other than regular maintenance, battery and tire replacement, and a couple of recall repairs so far. One true mechanical problem in 4.5 years of ownership ain't all bad really I suppose, especially compared to problems that cropped up with other cars we've owned previously over the years. I'm just bummed that it's the newer car with relatively lower miles on it that had it happen first. Sorry if this rambling on, I'm still a bit feverish. :eek:

Thanks!! :) No you didn't ramble, great review for this vehicle. It's nice to hear from REAL owners as I'm still on a vehicle search. I hadn't really considered the xb until here recently, I am one of the "few" I believe that don't think these are "ugly" cars, either you like them or you just "don't!" This will definitely be high on the list to test drive!!!
Thanks again :)

Peony

2010 Expedition EL with a Keyfit 30, Truefit, TB, and a backless TB.

DH has a 2007 Suburban with a Recaro Signo, TB, and an another backless one. This summer I will put a Scenera in there for the baby.

Our spare car for the nanny is a 2004 Audi All Road. We keep an old Parkway and a Recaro Como in it. DH drives its and she takes his car when she needs to pick up both girls.

agave

Tell me more about the '08 Scion :) Have you had to replace anything so far on it, I ask that because I have seen these and wonder if I could afford to replace parts. Do you know if FR85 fits in middle seat in the rear? Do you :love: it or is it just Meh...?

I drove an '06 Scion for 6 yrs and almost 130k miles. I would still be driving it but with 2 kids and a dog it was getting crowded as the family car. The Frontier 85 installs perfectly with latch and LBP outboard and can't see why it would be a problem in the center but you wouldn't be comfortable sitting next to it. I don't think the back seat really changed between '06-08. I did manage to get 3 once and 2 carseats and 3 adults.

Now I drive a '06 Sedona I'm enjoying the space but KIA not as impressed with KIA quality.

mom2juliarose

DH's car is a '97 CR-V and he has a high back Turbobooster for DD in there, and a First Years True Fit in there for DS.

My car is a '00 CR-V and I have a high back Turbobooster for DD in it, and a Graco Myride for DS.

Freekel

I drive a 2012 Honda odyssey, and I LOVE it! I have the 2nd row set in wide mode and have a FR85 in booster mode, a blvd ffing in the center and a rfing blvd 70 on the driver side. I can still move the seats back and forth as the seats barely touch!
My hubby drives a 2008 Mercedes SL 550, which is a lot of fun but doesn't fit any of the kids :(

Keeanh

2000 GMC Safari -- Love it! No trouble installing anything in that van, and it has a TA for the front seat :thumbsup:

1997 Mazda Protege -- Gotta be the last vehicle in North America without locking seatbelts, LMAO. Just my luck. I'm pretty handy with a locking clip ;). No airbags, so I can RF in the front seat. On its last legs partly due to DH, some ice, and a concrete barricade, LOL. I'm gonna miss that car :(.

2006 Chevy Express -- love/hate relationship. It's big enough for all of us, but I had to add headrests myself, and the forward-of-the-bight seatbelts suck. As does the centre seatbelt that originates from a plastic wart on top of the seatback :p.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I have a 1998 Acura CL 3.0 It has 230,000 miles on it. It is essentially a Honda Accord Coupe with no butt :) The back seat is exactly the same. I can easily do 3 acrosses depending on the situation. I only have one top tether that I installed last spring. Currently all I have in there is a Evenflo tribute and a Evenflo Big Kid LX. My favorite combo in my car was a FF complete air, A coccoro, and a SR35. Yes all fit very well. I wasn't able to RF a complete air because of the front to back space. I would need a seat that can brace if I wanted to ERF past my tribute.

Me 2005 Odyssey :love: with a Marathon65 I have no clue what the fabric name is...I wish I could remember..bought in 2008 (could be a 2007 though) it's lighter Pink with big spikey flowers in Pink, Yellow (its in my avatar...) anyone know?? sorry so off topic :eek:

Hubby has a 2002 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab with a FR85 in Onyx

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have a 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid that I almost regret buying. Actually, it's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned by far. Problem is, after a year, I've only put 3500 miles on it. In the last year, I've been reviewing more vehicles and driving my wife's Prius more to save gas. Had I known, I'd have probably kept my 2006 Odyssey.

Still, I'm liking the bluetooth phone and audio link, rear view camera for backing and fuel economy that is mid-30s around town in summer and mid 20s in the winter. I get better city gas mileage than many sub-compacts, which is nice since I don't do much highway driving. Plus, I can do 0-60 in just over 7 seconds, have AWD and can tow 3500 pounds. All things I don't need and rarely use, but they're nice and *manly* on paper.

I only have one kid in a carseat and he goes through a variety of combo and booster seats. Today, he uses a Frontier 85 in booster mode in the third row of the Highlander and the next warm day I am switching out whatever booster is in the Prius for the SafeGuard Go Hybrid that works really well there, while he still fits in it.

jeminijad

The family car is a 2010 Mazda CX-7. Kind of wishing we would have sprung for the CX-9, now that we are TTC #3. Kids are in a RF TF and a Prosport as their main seats.

The commuter car that is driven to work daily by whoever is working is a 2006 Mazda 3. It only has about 60k miles on it, and we maintain it by the book, so I'm hoping it does not give us any major problems for 4 more years. I have a RFing EFTA and a Nautilus in it for the rare case the kids ride in that car.

The plan for the next decade or so is to drive each car for 10 years- 5 years with a note & under warranty, and 5 years paid off, so that we never have 2 car payments OR an old car that is likely to die.

DW and I switch often. We currently have a 08 Lexus ES350 and a 2000 Toyota Camry.

We've been moving seats and stuff around but I think the current config is this:

ES350 - Britax Frontier 85 and Britax Boulevard
Camry - Radian XTSL and Recaro Como

The ES used to have the Radian and Britax side by side and that could totally do 3 across if the 3rd seat was small like the Radian.

Soon we're gonna get an Odyssey. Not sure if we'll keep the Camry or not.

rxmommy

A 2006 Odyssey EX-L with 115K. :love: it:love:

DH has 2 Chevy pickups - his "good" one which is a 2007 crew cab and his work pickup which is a 1999 (I think...) extended cab.

Kaede's_Mom

My car is a 2004 Mazda RX-8 Touring. It's my third child :) Currently in it I have a FR80 and a TFP. Soon it will have two Recaros.

DH drive our old 2003 Lincoln Navigator. I hate that thing, something is always broke on it. In it we have a RF classic MA and a FF TFP.

Sent from my poor auto correcting iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

luckyclov

I drive a 2011 Toyota Sienna LE. There's a Britax Frontier 85 in the passenger side captains chair and a RF Diono Radian RXT in the driver side captains chair. And a Britax Parkway SG in the center of the 3rd row.

DH drives a 2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew. There's a RF SKJP Radian 80SL behind the passenger seat, SKJP Monterey center, and Clek Olli behind the driver seat.

Melanie

I drive a 2010 Ford Flex. There's normally a Radian and Vivo + a couple spare boosters.

DH drives a 2010 Honda Civic coupe. Car seats aren't regularly in it.

Recently added 2000 Dodge Dakota for DD1. I still feel like this :eek: about her driving and having her own vehicle. I'm not sure that feeling will go away until she's 30:). Kids don't ride in that truck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC