WWYD? Complete Air in the center, or Radian outboard?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I can't make this decision! Sam is 3 1/2, 32 pounds and 39" with a 14.5" torso, he's rear facing. He has miles of room above his head in both our Complete Air and our Radian. I've gone back and forth between the two seats and I just can't decide which one I feel most comfortable with.

In my vehicle, the Radian doesn't install well in the center at all. It's passable with the angle adjuster (which I have) but takes up a LOT of visibility because it sits so high. It does install beautifully outboard, and I have it tethered.

The Complete Air installs PERFECTLY in the center, but my son is very close to the "height limit" and it's very upright, the line isn't anywhere close to level. And of course no tether.

I definitely prefer the Radian, I'm getting more used to the continuous harness, twisty straps, and annoying chest clip on the CA, but I really think I want to go back to the Radian just because it's so much easier to buckle.

So WWYD? Center CA while ignoring height and angle recommendations, or tethered, following all manufacturer instructions but outboard Radian?

ADS

Jessica61624

Radian. I'd use a seat I didn't have to use ignoring parts of the manual. Normally height limits are guidelines but the way dorel handled the questions about the limit it makes me uneasy. Plus I have a special love for Radians!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I personally wouldn't have a problem with the CA but the way you wrote your post sounds like YOU prefer the Radian, so...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The technical answer is the Radian. A properly installed seat outboard is preferable to an improperly installed seat in the center. And whether we all believe it's perfectly safe more upright or over the standing height limit or not, it's still a mis-use to put a CA upright and put a kid over 40" in it rear-facing.

Add to that the fact that you like the Radian better (and so do I!), and the Radian wins.

ZanesMom

It sounds like you prefer the Radian. Go with the Radian. If the main issue is that you are more concerned about seat placement, I personal experience is that my DS is currently outboard and he is a single child. I have no issues or concerns about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC